Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2006, 07:57 AM   #121
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
haha!!, see, I actually learned some of the lessons (she would be proud!) - the real trick was taking her with me on rides on the back of the bike (she is a trooper!) and getting her excited about the bike

The next obvious course or action was to take her to get some lessons which she was pretty keen on - as she liked the riding, just in case she needed to ride my bike (which would be unlikely due to the shear size) and with the possibility of getting her own bike.

Well, wouldn't you know, she was pretty eager!! - so a 2003 CRF150F made its way home in the fall... and on her second ride (1st with me) - she proceeded to have a pretty good spill and fracture the edge of her collar bone! - but like I said a Trooper and is looking forward to this season!

So, the real lesson was to get her on the bike and wanting to ride! and if I have to perform a few favours here and there... well, I guess I can't complain about the price of admission!!

D

p.s. - that is not the way it really is (but she does like riding and does have her own bike) - she is just really understanding! - but sometimes you just gotta talk the talk!

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:18 AM   #122
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by osteo
haha!!, see, I actually learned some of the lessons (she would be proud!) - the real trick was taking her with me on rides on the back of the bike (she is a trooper!) and getting her excited about the bike

p.s. - that is not the way it really is (but she does like riding and does have her own bike) - she is just really understanding! - but sometimes you just gotta talk the talk!
Hey Osteo, I think I married your better half! My wife is an adventurer at heart, an avid backpacker before I tied her down. And she loves to ride with me. We talked about getting her some lessons and a bike but she immediately told me about her snowmobile days and the many trees she met, then her father piped in and said I was crazy to let her loose on two wheels. She agreed and that was that.

She's pretty understanding too. Get this... I was in serious bike buying mode when I proposed to her, and the first words from her mouth were... "What about your bike." I knew she was the one!

So this summer we have to all get together for a ride, a little back road stuff and maybe a little trail ride with our significate others. Ya think?

Cheers

Fin

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: ByFAeFySLnQKM
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:36 AM   #123
osteo
Motion is Life

Fin

Sounds good, yes, seems we both have wives from the same cloth!, just no snowmobiling experience on this end!, but she hikes and camps with the best of them - we were up in Algonquin last weekend camping!! - just in a tent (we did build a Quincy though!).

Our solid schedule of rides for us this summer are all the RC rides - last year I did the stock tire route with her for most of them, this year might be a bit different as she is catering the events... but I'm sure there are days and times in there we can arrange.

Ironically, it was Christine that got me back onto purchasing a bike - I rode a buddies KLR for a day and she was on the back - at the end of the ride (lots of gravel roads, etc...) she said "I could see us doing this!" - well, that just opened the door wide open!! and the 650 Dakar changed to the 640 Adventure, which changed to the 950 Adventure (I wanted something a little stronger than the KLR for 2 up).

I'm not sure if she knows now what w ould have happened if she would have said the same thing!!

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Old 02-20-2006, 11:06 AM   #124
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

I think we are of the lucky few Osteo. I'll probably see you at one of the RC rides, maybe in May.

Cheers

Fin

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Old 02-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #125
Ridemuch
SUP

Oddometer: 2,234
I had a great time last night putting a face to the names.I look forward to doing some rides with you guys this season and learning more about my GPS as i'm still a newbie on it.
As for rides I just need a weeks notice to make it happen on my end.

Cheers Carlo
Old 02-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #126
Sammi
1/2 2 ride

Oddometer: 19
Sounds like you had a good meet & greet, Whitby was just a bit out of my range for a coffee ride.
Its too bad you guys couldn't decide on a ride or two. Is anyone in for the Nickel Belt R/C ride in Aug? This is my home turf and I could add a few more sights to see if your in the area.
I'm in Barrie this week if anyone need an excuse to go out for a and shoot the shit.
Sammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #127
BROKENTOOTH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Dang Gummit!!!!

I was so ready to sneak up on you guys at Timmie's with my laptop and brand, spankin' new 2730 but ended up being stymied by personal stuff. Until then, I'll continue to poke around here and there until my '06 GSA shows up. Mike at Open Road says late April.

Ya, I was the guy fishin' Cook's Bay Saturday riding a studded 750 Vulcan.

"MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM!"

"What is it dear?"

"WE'RE OUTTA FUCKING CANDY!!!!!!!"
BROKENTOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #128
Ridemuch
SUP

Oddometer: 2,234
I hear it's going to be around 12*C saturday......Let the ridding begin.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:22 PM   #129
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridemuch
I hear it's going to be around 12*C saturday......Let the ridding begin.
Gonna be riding during the week for sure.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #130
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Yes it's time again. I pulled my bike out charged her up and did a short ride this afternoon just to make sure I remember how. Feel better today than I have in weeks. I might just start my annual commuting by bike this week.

Fin

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Old 03-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #131
vexorg
This User Title For Rent

Oddometer: 67
Hey guys, just ran across this thread while looking for places to ride in Ontario. I just got a 2004 KLR650 in November, and my girlfriend got a 2005 KLR650 in January, both of us previously having ridden only on the street. We'd love to come out and ride with other Ontarians, but would we be too new to dual-sporting and be in the way for a ride? If so, where should we consider to start? We aren't looking for hard-core offroad, but aren't afraid to get muddy either
vexorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:48 AM   #132
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexorg
Hey guys, just ran across this thread while looking for places to ride in Ontario. I just got a 2004 KLR650 in November, and my girlfriend got a 2005 KLR650 in January, both of us previously having ridden only on the street. We'd love to come out and ride with other Ontarians, but would we be too new to dual-sporting and be in the way for a ride? If so, where should we consider to start? We aren't looking for hard-core offroad, but aren't afraid to get muddy either
Hey Vexorg

Welcome to ADVRider. Stay tuned to this thread as the temps rise because a few of us are planning some spring rides. Tehy shouldn't be too rough and the more the merrier.

Fin

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Old 03-06-2006, 04:22 AM   #133
osteo
Motion is Life

Hey Vexorg - welcome!!

There are all sorts of places to get your feet slightly muddy without going to crazy (stay away from Drif10 - just kidding Jim!, I don't need to get shot!).

A good place if you want to start on your own is Northumberland Forest, there are some nice access roads that surround some of the more technical single track there - BUT, if you are even slightly directionally challenged bring a GPS - and it is free to ride in there. This forest is just outside of Cobourg (where are you located?).

Another more organized place to start aside from rides with this crew is with Rally Connex - they host a bunch of standard and aggressive tire routes... you can check them out here at www.rallyconnex.com

Other than that, I tend to have Fridays off, and starting in a couple weeks will be out on the bike every Friday and weekends for sure.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Old 03-06-2006, 05:14 AM   #134
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,004
I rode about 160 km yesterday...

It got up to about -12 out.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #135
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexorg
... We'd love to come out and ride with other Ontarians, but would we be too new to dual-sporting and be in the way for a ride? If so, where should we consider to start? We aren't looking for hard-core offroad, but aren't afraid to get muddy either
You didn't say where in Ontario you are located. The most obvious place to look for Dual Sport rides in Ontario Dual Sport Club.
I usually organize rides starting in Campbellville that are attended mainly by KLR650, DR650, F650GS, etc owners and many are suitable for DS beginners. Mainly gravel back roads, road allowances, forest access roads.

There are also many "hard-core" rides organized for those who prefer bottomless mud, river crossing, and single track. There's even an Adventure DualSporting section.

Check it out. www.odsc.on.ca

BTW, I post there as BackRoadsRider.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote