Oddometer: 17,892
What is it with Vespas?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #13503
stevie t
some dude, somewhere....

Oddometer: 264
Insurance providers

Well what do you know, just got my renewal letter for this year's motorcycle policy, figures, the day after I get the KLR....well at least I know I need a revised policy due the new toy.
But I digress, ...anyway thought maybe I should be prudent and shop it around...anyone have any agents/brokers that wish to refer to me?
stevie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #13504
Ooobah-Moto
Banned

Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie t
Well what do you know, just got my renewal letter for this year's motorcycle policy, figures, the day after I get the KLR....well at least I know I need a revised policy due the new toy.
But I digress, ...anyway thought maybe I should be prudent and shop it around...anyone have any agents/brokers that wish to refer to me?
Try:

TD Meloche Monnex
&
Riders Choice
Ooobah-Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #13505
silver_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Hey Steve,

I use TD Insurance (underwritten by Primum) and the service and price are pretty good. Give them a try, you can get the quote online at https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/tdinsu...ntype=NEWQUOTE

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more info. Although it would be better for you to add the new bike to the existing policy, you would probably get a multi bike discount.
silver_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #13506
stevie t
some dude, somewhere....

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_rider
Hey Steve,

I use TD Insurance (underwritten by Primum) and the service and price are pretty good. Give them a try, you can get the quote online at https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/tdinsu...ntype=NEWQUOTE

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more info. Although it would be better for you to add the new bike to the existing policy, you would probably get a multi bike discount.
I like the question..."Your motorcycle was customized or modified?' So if I have panniers on the bike is that considered modified?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #13507
Lornce
Lost In Place

Rider's Plus.

Best rates in the province last time I checked.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #13508
Pig-Pen
(Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer: 1,303
I'm with Riders Plus for my 950, but a friend was with them for his KLR and they jacked up his rate to within $20 of mine for no reason other than it was a dual sport.

He ended up going with Jevco for $300 less, but Jevco wants a 300% premium for my 950 as they classify it as a sport bike which made Riders Plus half the price for my bike.

Bottom line, shop each bike around individually as one company may have a good deal on one and rip you off on the other.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #13509
stevie t
some dude, somewhere....

Thanks guys...I guess I need to make some calls, all the online stuff goes apeshiite once you say have 3 or more bikes, (would a hack be 1 1/2?) ...so far my renewal (Jevco) is less for the bandit with a lower deductible, but I need to make sure I doing the apples to apples thing....

stevie t screwed with this post 06-10-2009 at 01:34 PM
Old 06-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #13510
stevie t
some dude, somewhere....

Ok, so from looking at some of the pics of the rides, I understand leather no good, synthetics seem better suited for jackets and pants, I'm guessing MX boots are the way. So tell me about the gloves and helmets....any basic moto glove will do? Should I be looking at MX helmets with googles?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #13511
Ooobah-Moto
Banned

Steve, I know my view is a bit bias, but I vote MX helmet with goggles over full face. MX boots are a no brain'r.

This past weekend I was cursing myself for wearing my full face helmet. The dust from gravel roads coats the inside of the helmet and get's in your eyes - brutal.

As per MX boots, I can count on all my fingers and toes the number of times I'd have a broken foot/ankle/toe had I not been wearing them.

AGATT (all gear, all the time!)

Old 06-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #13512
stevie t
some dude, somewhere....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooobah-Moto
Steve, I know my view is a bit bias, but I vote MX helmet with goggles over full face. MX boots are a no brain'r.

This past weekend I was cursing myself for wearing my full face helmet. The dust from gravel roads coats the inside of the helmet and get's in your eyes - brutal.

As per MX boots, I can count on all my fingers and toes the number of times I'd have a broken foot/ankle/toe had I not been wearing them.

AGATT (all gear, all the time!)

so this kind of thing would not cut it?

http://www.alpinestars.com/Web_Goret.../p/233507.html

I get the helmet thing, do ski googles work or do the moto gogs differ?

oh ya, do I need a tan suit for city riding?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #13513
Ooobah-Moto
Banned

Quote:

Good question on the boots.

Here's my $0.02, make sure they have a hard/solid sole. When you stand on the pegs with soft sole's (i.e. running shoes), the peg will fatigue your feet very quickly. I can ride all day standing on the pegs without my feet giving me grief - as per MX boots.

RE: Goggles - ski goggles are even better than pure MX goggles. As ski goggles usually have a double lens - which is less prone to fogging up.

I swear by my Progrip goggles - albeit a motocross goggle, I've inserted a light sensitive (double) lense. Perfect tint for when the sun is at it's peak and yet clear when I'm caught riding at night.

Tan suit is optional. ..... btw, I'm wearing it today.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #13514
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:

I put ten years on a pair of Gortex Alpinestars. Still have them even with broken zippers and a hole in one sole from dragging my foot. Can't seem to convince myself that they should be tossed.

Comfortable for all round riding, not enough protection for serious offroad but will get you by if you're not driving like a nutbar.

Good bang for the buck.

Cheers

Fin

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: ByFAeFySLnQKM
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #13515
Lornce
Lost In Place

A good pair of work boots does the trick, too.

I like to wear deerhide work gloves. $20 from Marks or Home Despot or one of the local tack shops. Excellent quality, protection and comfort. I went up scale last year and spent $36 on a pair of elkskin work gloves from Aerostich. Probably the finest, most durable riding gloves I've ever owned.

I prefer an open face helmet with a visor but will wear a full face if I'm feeling "sporty".

Bob Loblaw