User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM   #1
raredesign OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
One of a kind 96 KLX 650R supermoto - NY State Street Legal

Mods: If this is not the right section, please help move it.

RARE - 1996 KLX650R - Supermoto Street Legal with many extras

This was a very hard decision, and I am still in no hurry to sell. I simply don't ride much anymore.

If you Google, 2002 Street Legal KX500, my previous bike will probably be the first 3 pages of hits, as enthusiasts drooled over it country-wide. Well, I have done it again! This KLX 650R, King of the Baja, has been through full DMV certified conversion for NY State. As before, I am known for being very meticulous and you will never, simply never, find another bike like this again.

So, what do you get?

Stable foundation:
First, let's start with the frame and major components. I started with a very selective bike that I had shipped from California with barely even any paint rub by the foot-pegs. The frame, rubbers, shock, forks, plastics, etc are in amazing condition for the year. I have to say for the year, but honestly, it looks better than most bikes only a couple years old.

Electrical:
It has a brand new wiring harness. I added a Trail Tech battery under the rear fender so all lights respond quickly and bright without RPM reliance. There is an inline fuse to protect it, and it is recharged by the stator, but can be manually charged if needed. I left the OEM capacitor in place in case of emergency, so the bike can be started without the battery. It has high/low lights, signals, horn, and speedometer. This is not a misleading "has green sticker" bike. NY State legal.

Performance:
The first thing I threw away was the OEM camchain auto-tensioner which is known on many makes and models to be the death of the machine. This now sports a Kraimer manual tensioner and will give you a worry free experience.
A beautiful and awesome sounding T4 Pro Circuit pipe let's everyone know you mean business.
New Choke and Idle adjustment cable installed.
DynaJet kit is in hand, but not installed yet.
A fuel filter has been used since I have had it.
Freshly adjusted valve clearances.

Plastics, etc:
The plastics are in very good shape, and I have duplicates! Radiator shrouds, side plates, front fender (purple and supermoto green).
This has a brand new gas tank and a perfect petcock seal.
Two seats are included: the black is a nice gripper seat, and the OEM purple is in great shape.
Acerbis purple hand-guards.
Baja headlight guard

Supermoto and Dirt:
Get the best of both worlds!
Beautiful, 17" Excel rims laced to OEM hubs with Buchanan spokes! Running Shinko 003 Stealth tires. The rear is new!
OEM wheels with Dunlop's famous D606 dual sports in great condition!
Sprockets and Rotors for both sets, with spacers.
I have extra sprockets too (46, 47, and 49 tooth).
It has a new gold X-ring chain.

Extras if you are interested:
I have a Kevlar / Carbon Fiber SixSixOne Fenix Fusion helmet in XL and mint condition. This used to be a $600 helmet.
Oakley and Scott OTG goggles.
Fox Racing knuckle buster gloves.
Onyx Smart Charger for NIMH, LIPO, LIFE, etc

IMPORTANT:
MUST have cash in hand, and MUST have valid drivers license. I will need to copy the license before test rides.

Note: Speedometer is mechanically run off the hub for a 21" tire and works with 17", but obviously calculates differently. If you want it to be exact with the 17", you will need a digital speedometer such as the $100 Trail Tech Vapor, or something else of your choice.
raredesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM   #2
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,847
First it is not the King of Baja. That is the XR650R. Still a nice bike though.

Second there is a subforum called the Flea Market. That is where you should have posted this.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #3
raredesign OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
First it is not the King of Baja. That is the XR650R. Still a nice bike though.

Second there is a subforum called the Flea Market. That is where you should have posted this.
Thanks for the head up about the flea market,

Regarding the XR claim, as far as I remember when this debuted in '93, it stomped on the XR. I have the original Dirt Rider issue featuring it on the front page. I'll have to look for it if anyone is interested. Still, yeah the XR is still being made, and this '96 was the last year for the KLX 650 in the states. I think it was still sold in Germany and Australia until 2002 though.

Mods - can someone please move this to the "flea market"?
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #4
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 907
Sadly, the KLX's were pre-runners. The race bikes were KX500's.

I had a KLX for a while that I got off of the Kawi team. Still liked the KX better.

While they were better than the old air cooled XR's, they were never updated and are no match for the newer aluminum framed 650R's.

BDKW1 screwed with this post Yesterday at 06:30 PM
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:48 AM   #5
raredesign OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKW1 View Post

I had a KLX for a while that I got off of the Kawi team. Still liked the KX better.

While they were better than the old air cooled XR's, they were never updated and are no match for the newer aluminum framed 650R's.
Do you remember the street legal KX500 that was talked about here for a while? Yeah, that was mine too :-). Did the same conversion with this one. Well, it is high tensile steel, which is great since it was before beefy aluminum frames even came out. Comparing 96 KLXR to 96 XRR, I would prefer the KLX all day.
Old Today, 09:57 AM   #6
adam728
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Instead of telling us how awesome and famous your KX500 was, how about throwing up a link? Searching "KX500 supermoto" brings up a ton of different bikes.
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #7
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,936
Trying to compare KLX 650's against XR650's depends on which ones you are talking about.

KLX's came in 2 modes. A KLX 650c which is a dual sport like a KLR only with every thing different. The pictured bike is a KLX650r, dirt version which is different enough, that it is 50lbs lighter than the 50 state street legal C model. Though licensed in NY it may not be licensed in some other states, including Ca. now

As most know, the Honda XR 650's are completely different. The magazine comparison was with a XR650L. The XR650r was not a street legal bike, at least in Ca. unless done prior to 1/31/2004.

The KLX650c model was the most powerful of the Japanese street legal bikes of their time. The R model, besides being lighter, ran a higher compression with more aggressive cams and different suspension among other things.

There has been so much confusion and misinformation passed out about the KLX's, I wouldn't rely on much of it. I believe the stock HP to be in the mid 40's and weight about 304lbs.

The OP's bike looks great. I wouldn't mind owning it, if I could plate it.
Old Today, 12:53 PM   #8
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKW1 View Post

Did the KX500 ever win? If so what years? I'm trying to track down which bike won each year. It's easy to find manufacturer but not model.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:12 PM   #9
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 907
Roeseler on the KX won several times. Hamel won, Krause I think won one.

Unfortunately after 96 Kawi pulled the plug leaving us all without rides. This put a premature end to the KX's reign in the desert as it was another 3 years till the XR650R came about.
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote