Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 09:05 AM   #1
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
2014 KTM 690 oil screens

History
I have a 2014 690 endure. The bike has about 1,300 miles on it. I bought it new. I am doing its second oil change. The first oil change was at 600 miles. Changed oil, filters and cleaned the oil screens. This time I was going to change the oil and clean the oil screens and not replace the oil filters.
Here is my question!
I drain the oil, removed the first oil screen, the one next to the drain bolt and the oil in the screen was dirty just like the drain oil. I removed the second oil screen, the one that faces forward and the oil was clean not dirty. Maybe some has a better understanding than I do and can explain why the oil wouldn't be dirty. It seems to me if the oil is being pumped through the engine and the filters were doing there job, the oil would be dirty.
Thanks
LaPorte
Old Today, 11:33 AM   #2
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte View Post
History
I have a 2014 690 endure. The bike has about 1,300 miles on it. I bought it new. I am doing its second oil change. The first oil change was at 600 miles. Changed oil, filters and cleaned the oil screens. This time I was going to change the oil and clean the oil screens and not replace the oil filters.
Here is my question!
I drain the oil, removed the first oil screen, the one next to the drain bolt and the oil in the screen was dirty just like the drain oil. I removed the second oil screen, the one that faces forward and the oil was clean not dirty. Maybe some has a better understanding than I do and can explain why the oil wouldn't be dirty. It seems to me if the oil is being pumped through the engine and the filters were doing there job, the oil would be dirty.
Thanks
LaPorte
Sorry I don't have any answer to your question. I changed my oil and filters at 100 miles then again at 600. Both scrrens and filters looked about the same on my changes.

Hopefully someone can provide more information for you but curious, if your going through the trouble of draining oil and cleaning screens why not change the filters at the same time?
Old Today, 12:19 PM   #3
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 738
It's all the same oil from the same engine. Right? I bet your perception of the oil draining from the front screen is due to lighting. Shine a flashlight thru the oil as it drains and it looks quite clean. In bad light it looks dirty...

I only change my filters every other time. It does save time and money. But I change the oil a lot. Every 2 rides on my 450 and filters only when I adjust the valves.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is online now   Reply With Quote