Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2006, 11:30 AM   #1711
adaycj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I figured those lights might make a nice add on even for someone sticking with the stock headlamp.

I did have a great experience with a local motorcycle tire shop. They managed to get the tires I wanted the same day with tubes so I could leave for vacation with new tires. I have heard several good things about www.arizonamoto.com also, but have no first hand experience. I only posted the info here (instead of in a new thread) because the link has come up here several times and the experience I had was directly related to acquiring tires for this machine.

In the spirit of this huge thread I'll ask a new question in a reply. I have a DJ kit, modified (not just drilled) stock pipe, KX inlet duct, and vent mod. The bike idles great even for extended periods (minutes at traffic lights), but stumbles just a tiny bit off idle. By "off idle" I mean just as the throttle is turned enouugh to allow the throttle plate to leave the stop. The stumble has improved greatly as I screw in the mixture screw. I'm now at 1.5 turns and can barely feel it. What is the stock screw setting? Any ideas why I only have 1.5 turns and everone else seems to love 2.5 turns?
adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #1712
mrbinks808
I'd Rather Be Riding

Oddometer: 18
Nobrakes

I originally ordered the tires and they ended up refunding me the money because they were out of stock on one of the tubes so I went to one of the other sites on your original post on page 88 www.rockymountainatv.com and found all the same stuff for about $10 less. They will be here tomorrow and I'll get to work putting them on.

As for the high speed corners on pavement that would be me. The ride to work for me in the morning is 25 miles and it happens to be one of the top 10 most dangerous roads in the US. So I get to have fun every time I ride my bike to and from work.
mrbinks808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #1713
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
I think it was a post from Nobiman on this thread that enlightened me about rockymountainatv. That guy is smart!

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:11 PM   #1714
jeepphamilee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
BTW, I rigged up a motor with a magnet and set it next to the Vapor's speedo sensor and accumulated all the mileage so my Vapor's permanent odometer now accurately reflects mileage on my bike. It was pretty neat to see it spinning along at 250 MPH for hours on end
I ordered my Vapor yesterday with the aluminum case thing. Can't wait till I get back from deployment to install it. How long did it take to make the OD read the correct mileage? Minutes, hours or days? I got about 3k on mine now and want to ensure that the OD reads correctly. I was thinking on mount a magnet on a slightly ofset spinning drill bit and let 'er rip.

Mav, did you get my reply at the other forum about shipment to AUS?
jeepphamilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:33 PM   #1715
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepphamilee
How long did it take to make the OD read the correct mileage? Minutes, hours or days? I got about 3k on mine now and want to ensure that the OD reads correctly. I was thinking on mount a magnet on a slightly ofset spinning drill bit and let 'er rip.
Hours. I set the Vapor's wheel size to something large like 4000 or so. Then I used a variable speed motor and mounted the magnet on the edge of a disk, put a counter weight on the opposite edge, attached the disk to the motor shaft, then adjusted the speed until it was reading about as fast as I could make it go. If the magnet cycles by the sensor too fast, the Vapor doesn't read correctly and the speed starts dropping off. With the large wheel size, I had it going at around 250 MPH. I needed 2800 miles to catch up so I estimated the time at 2800 / 250 at just over 11 hours. I checked back on it periodically to make sure the speed hadn't changed - I didn't want to go over and show more mileage than was really there. After that, I reset the wheel size to what it was before.

A fan motor might be a good choice also, but you probably need a way to adjust the speed. I happened to have an old DC gearhead motor laying around and I used that with an h-bridge but a variable power supply would work as well. My "disk" was actually a 4 inch nylon gear. I drilled a few small holes and used a few wraps of wire to fasten the magnet in place so it couldn't fly off. Same for the counter weight on the other side which I found an old philips head bit was just about the right weight. At first I just tried tape but it flew off and felt like someone beaning me with a rock - that stung!

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 08-15-2006, 01:04 AM   #1716
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
hey Brian yeah it does look mean, I wish it came in green tho ...

jeep yes I got your message thanks
2006 CT110X
2012 Versys
MaverickAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:38 PM   #1717
mrbinks808
I'd Rather Be Riding

Question Help W/ Tires

Well the hard part is over I managed to take the old tires off and put the new Kendra 270s on without having one of those nice stands. Now the problem I'm having. I need some good advice on how to get the beads to seat on the tires. The rear tire is nearly seated on the nice little ledge all the way around but the front tire is a totally different animal. Nothing on the front tire is even close to being where it's supposed to be. Also what pressure should I put in the tires. I should have checked the originals before I deflated them but I was excited to put the new shoes on.

Hey NoBrakes I bought all the same equip that you did so everything should have come together nicely but not as of now.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:56 PM   #1718
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Like yours, the back K270 seated nicely without much help. But the fronts did require a bit more effort. I used some liquid dish soap - smear a little around the bead area with the tires deflated. Then pump'em up. I had an air compressor and I think I went really high before the bead finally popped into place - something like 50 pounds or so. Once the bead seats, deflate back down to around 22 PSI. That worked for me at least.

On the K760 Trak Masters, I think the rear tire was the difficult one as opposed to the front.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 08-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #1719
mrbinks808
I'd Rather Be Riding

dang nobrakes

Man you are quick I just went back to page 88 to see if I had missed anything on the install. I'll have to take the bike to my buddies house and use his compessor. But I won't forget the dish soap. I did have a lot easier time putting the back tire on with some soapy water the front tire kicked my butt without it but the back slid right on. I'm now a firm believer in the tire irons.

Thanks I'm gonna go run to my buddies house and try and get them to seat I'll be back in 15 I hope.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:24 PM   #1720
mrbinks808
I'd Rather Be Riding

nobrakes

Hey worked like a charm. Well so much for 15 min. ran into one of the guys I ride with and he offered Jack and coke so it took me nearly two hours. Oh well. Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to ride the 25 miles to work on thursday just to give the new treads some good break in so the ride home will be interesting lost of good turns.

Zach

I'd rather be riding...
Old 08-16-2006, 07:39 AM   #1721
sullydirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Tires

I haven't seen any mention of Tires Unlimited, www.tiresunlimited.com. I purchased my Kenda's from them and had a great experience.

Mike

sullydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #1722
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaycj
I figured those lights might make a nice add on even for someone sticking with the stock headlamp.

I did have a great experience with a local motorcycle tire shop. They managed to get the tires I wanted the same day with tubes so I could leave for vacation with new tires. I have heard several good things about www.arizonamoto.com also, but have no first hand experience. I only posted the info here (instead of in a new thread) because the link has come up here several times and the experience I had was directly related to acquiring tires for this machine.

In the spirit of this huge thread I'll ask a new question in a reply. I have a DJ kit, modified (not just drilled) stock pipe, KX inlet duct, and vent mod. The bike idles great even for extended periods (minutes at traffic lights), but stumbles just a tiny bit off idle. By "off idle" I mean just as the throttle is turned enouugh to allow the throttle plate to leave the stop. The stumble has improved greatly as I screw in the mixture screw. I'm now at 1.5 turns and can barely feel it. What is the stock screw setting? Any ideas why I only have 1.5 turns and everone else seems to love 2.5 turns?
Hey ada, what elevation are you at? You havent changed your pilot jet have you? If you have, put the stock one back in. The basic rules for pilot jets usually say that if you have to adjust it to 1 turn or less, you need the next size smaller and 3 turns or more, you need the next size bigger. Of course there are lots of variables, but thats what I've always tried to keep in mind for a starting point. I would go ahead and try all the way down to 1 turn out at 1/4 turn intervals, sounds like your getting pretty close. there's nothing wrong with running it at, say 3/4 of a turn out if ya want but that doesnt leave much room for adjustment if you ever change altitudes in the future.

Good luck, Randy.
'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:01 AM   #1723
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Touring

I recently toured part of Northern Japan on my KLX (Street version). I purchased a 'Motofizz' brand seat bag from a local shop and bought my saddle bags about 200 miles from home, after staying overnight at the local camp ground. The trip was a blast and the bike handled the load very well. I wasn't able to cruise quite as fast as some of the big touring machines on the segments of the trip where I used the expressway, but really had no need to. 100KPH was just fine for myself and this no windshield bike thank you... and I was in no hurry.

Aside from about 30 minutes of rain on the way out, the weather was beautiful. I spent two days at one particularly nice campsite where I hiked to the top of Mt Iwate -a modest hill of about 2000M- then soaked in a hot spring at climbs end. Ran out of water at summit, so I charged back down and chugged about a gallon of water before soaking my tired bones.

I'm posting some photos of the installed bags, but the contrast didn't turn out to well with the combo of black on black and disposable camera.
Attached Images

tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:03 AM   #1724
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Another photo

Without seat bag.
Attached Images

tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:05 AM   #1725
tremor38