ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2006, 09:00 AM   #166
biodegraded
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 109
Looks great, Mav. How much did it get lowered by? The tops of the forks look dropped only 1cm or so. Keep us posted on your new ride.
biodegraded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:49 AM   #167
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Nobiman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Oddometer: 483
Mountaineer, the KLX 250 does have buddy pegs, they are there, they're just very small.

You can see them just below the numer plate in this pic.

See?
Attached Images
 
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #168
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer
 
MaverickAus's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Heaven on Earth
Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by biodegraded
Looks great, Mav. How much did it get lowered by? The tops of the forks look dropped only 1cm or so. Keep us posted on your new ride.
only the seat was lowered by removing foam, the suspension is totally stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
Is anybody else noticing that Mav's exhaust exit hole is slightly larger than ours? Mine is 1/2"(13 mm) max. Mav's looks more like 3/4". Whats the dealio?
Good eyes there Nobiman, the outlet on mine is 24mm or 15/16" have a look at the close up pic I took
Attached Images
 
__________________
1999 KDX 200, 1996 KLR 250, 2006 KLX 331 R , 2006 CT110X, 2012 Versys, 2001 ZRX 1200 R
MaverickAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #169
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer
 
MaverickAus's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Heaven on Earth
Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainear
I'm not seeing any pegs for a 2nd rider on the KLX250s. Wonder if those could be purchased aftermarket?
The pegs fold away when not in use Mountainear I took a couple of close ups showing pegs out and pegs in
Attached Images
 
__________________
1999 KDX 200, 1996 KLR 250, 2006 KLX 331 R , 2006 CT110X, 2012 Versys, 2001 ZRX 1200 R
MaverickAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:59 PM   #170
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Nobiman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus
only the seat was lowered by removing foam, the suspension is totally stock



Good eyes there Nobiman, the outlet on mine is 24mm or 15/16" have a look at the close up pic I took
Yea, it does'nt really make any difference anyway because just as soon as I can get some straight answers about aftermaret exhaust, that big heavy can is coming off for sure. We gonna un-restrict 'dis puppy, and let out a couple of trapped ponies!

Someone help me out on this, I'm tired of sending E-mails and getting "Zilch" for a response. The only for sure thing that I can find is the Bmlhd(?) recommended Staintune from "Downunder".

Hey, I've got a great idea Guinnea pig........ Uh, I mean Mav! Why dont you run down and get a Staintune system, since they are made in your neck of the woods, slap it on the bike, ride it this weekend and give us a ride report on monday! Sounds like a plan.......Ok then, we'll be waiting on the edge of our seats for your report on monday.

Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:29 PM   #171
Mountainear
Out of shape Mtnbiker
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 7
Muchas gracias MaverickAus and Nobiman. Now if only those hot lotto numbers come through tonight!
__________________
Isn't Adventure Riding just like Mountain biking, only faster?
Mountainear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:49 PM   #172
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer
 
nobrakes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: North Carolina
Oddometer: 3,363
I picked up my KLX 250S today - very nice. Unfortunately, the rain here in North Carolina didn't let up much today so my riding was minimal, only about 7 miles or so. This is my first bike since I was a teenager and its good to get back in the saddle after about 20 years. Too bad the weather report for tomorrow is cold and rainy as well. Hoping for blue sky in NC soon ...
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:13 PM   #173
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer
 
MaverickAus's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Heaven on Earth
Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
Yea, it does'nt really make any difference anyway because just as soon as I can get some straight answers about aftermaret exhaust, that big heavy can is coming off for sure. We gonna un-restrict 'dis puppy, and let out a couple of trapped ponies!

Someone help me out on this, I'm tired of sending E-mails and getting "Zilch" for a response. The only for sure thing that I can find is the Bmlhd(?) recommended Staintune from "Downunder".

Hey, I've got a great idea Guinnea pig........ Uh, I mean Mav! Why dont you run down and get a Staintune system, since they are made in your neck of the woods, slap it on the bike, ride it this weekend and give us a ride report on monday! Sounds like a plan.......Ok then, we'll be waiting on the edge of our seats for your report on monday.

lmao

actually its funny you say that, I emailed Staintune today about the cost and availability of the KLX250 muffler (they show it on an older bike) and if it will work with the '06, of course being Sunday here I don't expect an answer for a few days. I must admit I wasn't all that impressed with the Staintune website, no prices or availability and they do seem biased towards road bikes. Oh yeah I'm also going to ring the local dealer tomorrow as well but I don't expect too much from them.

Now a question for you guys that have had your bikes for a bit, did you find they "pinged" when new? I think mine is pinging I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow and ask, before you ask I filled it today with premium fuel and its still the same.
__________________
1999 KDX 200, 1996 KLR 250, 2006 KLX 331 R , 2006 CT110X, 2012 Versys, 2001 ZRX 1200 R
MaverickAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:18 PM   #174
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer
 
MaverickAus's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Heaven on Earth
Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
I picked up my KLX 250S today - very nice. Unfortunately, the rain here in North Carolina didn't let up much today so my riding was minimal, only about 7 miles or so. This is my first bike since I was a teenager and its good to get back in the saddle after about 20 years. Too bad the weather report for tomorrow is cold and rainy as well. Hoping for blue sky in NC soon ...
Isn't it great nobrakes , I missed not having a bike and went without one for about 8 or 9 years before I bought the KLR a couple of years ago. What a wonderful feeling to get back on a bike You will have a ball once the sky clears and your past the break-in, its a pain trying to stay under 4K RPM
__________________
1999 KDX 200, 1996 KLR 250, 2006 KLX 331 R , 2006 CT110X, 2012 Versys, 2001 ZRX 1200 R
MaverickAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:33 PM   #175
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer
 
nobrakes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: North Carolina
Oddometer: 3,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Isn't it great nobrakes , I missed not having a bike and went without one for about 8 or 9 years before I bought the KLR a couple of years ago. What a wonderful feeling to get back on a bike You will have a ball once the sky clears and your past the break-in, its a pain trying to stay under 4K RPM
It's hard to decribe the feeling - love that 4-stroke sound, reminds me of the old XRs I used to ride. Keeping it under 4K will take some willpower as that seems to be right about the beginning of the power band. Best thing to do, I suppose, is to hurry and get past those break-in miles :-)
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:18 AM   #176
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas
 
bmwhd's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 1,476
WOOOOO HOOOO! It's back together and it ROCKS. Now we're cookin' with gas!

Here's what I did this week again:

1) 13t C/S sprocket.
2) Air valve plumbing removed and all holes plugged.
3) Pilot air screw out 2.5 turns.
4) Slide vent hole drilled out to 7/64ths.
5) Swapped in a pre-'06 KLX300 49 state needle (N1TC) with clip in slot 2 down from the top.
6) #122 Main Jet.
7) Air box snorkel replaced with Kawasaki partn #14073-1577 high flow unit
8) 1/2" hole drilled in the first baffle plate in the muffler.

Now THIS is the way this bike is supposed to run! Night and day difference! YEAAAA HAAAA!
__________________
Todd R.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:10 AM   #177
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer
 
MaverickAus's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Heaven on Earth
Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
WOOOOO HOOOO! It's back together and it ROCKS. Now we're cookin' with gas!

Here's what I did this week again:

1) 13t C/S sprocket.
2) Air valve plumbing removed and all holes plugged.
3) Pilot air screw out 2.5 turns.
4) Slide vent hole drilled out to 7/64ths.
5) Swapped in a pre-'06 KLX300 49 state needle (N1TC) with clip in slot 2 down from the top.
6) #122 Main Jet.
7) Air box snorkel replaced with Kawasaki partn #14073-1577 high flow unit
8) 1/2" hole drilled in the first baffle plate in the muffler.

Now THIS is the way this bike is supposed to run! Night and day difference! YEAAAA HAAAA!
Woooo hoooo congrats on a cheap upgrade
this space for more news from bmwhd

just one thing I don't understand what and where is the slide vent hole? I had a look at the exploded diagram on the kawasaki website of the carbie and I couldn't make out what you mean
__________________
1999 KDX 200, 1996 KLR 250, 2006 KLX 331 R , 2006 CT110X, 2012 Versys, 2001 ZRX 1200 R
MaverickAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:21 AM   #178
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas
 
bmwhd's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 1,476
The slide is the bit attached to the bottom of the rubber diaphram into which the needle jet, needle holder, and spring fit at the top of the carb. The slide has two holes in the bottom: one for the needle and one that is a vent. The needle hole is the one in the center, the vent is the one off center.
__________________
Todd R.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:37 PM   #179
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer
 
MaverickAus's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Heaven on Earth
Oddometer: 942
gotcha thanks

__________________
1999 KDX 200, 1996 KLR 250, 2006 KLX 331 R , 2006 CT110X, 2012 Versys, 2001 ZRX 1200 R
MaverickAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:03 PM   #180
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Nobiman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
I picked up my KLX 250S today - very nice. Unfortunately, the rain here in North Carolina didn't let up much today so my riding was minimal, only about 7 miles or so. This is my first bike since I was a teenager and its good to get back in the saddle after about 20 years. Too bad the weather report for tomorrow is cold and rainy as well. Hoping for blue sky in NC soon ...
Congrats Nobrakes, I also went for about ten years without a bike before I got my '02 KTM LC4 640. What was I thinking! There is nothing like the freedom that you feel on a motorcycle, thats for sure. After a couple of organized rides, my wife and best friend decided that she also wanted a dualsport bike. We looked at all of the parts bin bikes like the XT 225 Yamaha, DR 200S Suzuki and the KLR 250(?) Kawi, but none of them had the modern look and componentry of the '06 KLX 250. We are very glad we waited on this bike to come out. As I'm sure you are too. Good luck and enjoy my friend!

Randy.
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014