Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #226
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
Well then MATE , I always wondered what an "Aussie" looked like! Just kidding, we had an exchange student come live with us in the 70's from down-unda. She tried and tried to get us used to the taste of Veggemite(spelling ?), but never succeeded.

Cheers Mav!

Randy.
LMAO you were close Randy it's vegemite and I think it's an aquired taste, you have to be born with it on your tounge

Cheers

Garry

Oh yeah I have ordered that Pelican case you guys have so hopfully in a few days it will be here then I'll mount it the same as Todd. Thanks Todd !!!
Talking about Todd haven't heard from him lately, he must be out riding and having fun on his KLX
Old 01-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #227
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepphamilee
Well fellers, I have been kicking around the KLX250 or the KLR650. I am happy to announce with the assistance and information from mainly this set of posts that I started the process of getting my very own shiny green machine (KLX250) and I am amped! Thanks for the good amount of input and some real riders point of view.

Brian
Glad to be of service Brian and congrats, you won't regret it
Old 01-25-2006, 03:02 PM   #228
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,838
Quote:
Hey Rusty, are you talking about the trip meter on the odometer? I just went out and tried it and as you reset it by turning the knob (its an analog unit not digital like the KLX400), it adds miles until it comes back around to zero. Is that what you were inquiring about?

Randy.
Yes, but can you go from say 54.7 to 61.9, or does it end up going to all 7's then all 8's then all 9's before all 0's? I am wondering, because in enduros and turkey runs (organized offroad rides, noncompetitive) in my area resets are common and they are in tenths of a mile like I mention above. Better yet, can you go from 61.9 to 54.7?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 01-25-2006 at 03:10 PM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #229
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,363
Quote:
Nice pics there Nobrakes!

How many miles does everybody have on thier bikes now? We have 190 on ours. We should have way more than that by now but I've got my KTM down for maintenance right now, so the KLX is also setting idle. The wife did take it to town (only 2 miles each way) to do some errands for the first time by her self and she came home with a big smile on her face from the experience.

How 'bout some pics of faces so we can all see who we're talking to?

Here's mine.
Here's a bad pic of me, sorry its not better. All I can say is that there must have been something really interesting on my shoe. My KLX is right at 100 mi. The area I was riding was incredibly mushy - not sure if you can make it out, but my tires are completely clogged with mud. I couple of times it seems to want to sink but I just kept the gas on and it continued to pull through. Maybe after this muddy area gets a few days of sunshine it will be better riding.

-Brian (Nobrakes)
Attached Images

nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:46 PM   #230
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
Yes, but can you go from say 54.7 to 61.9, or does it end up going to all 7's then all 8's then all 9's before all 0's? I am wondering, because in enduros and turkey runs (organized offroad rides, noncompetitive) in my area resets are common and they are in tenths of a mile like I mention above. Better yet, can you go from 61.9 to 54.7?
I doubt an analog odometer like on the KLX can do that. What you are really talking about isn't a reset, but "increment/decrement" adjusting the reading of the trip odo up or down my 10ths to match a roll chart. Useful if you get off mileage during a section but not really needed IMHO. I don't really see why you would normally have to reset to something other than zero. Maybe you just mean it's a pain if you have to roll it all the way back to zero at every reset? Or did I misunderstand you?
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #231
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,838
Here in New England we have roll charts in most of our organized rides. (NETRA) It would be handy to be able to adjust mileage incrementally. Enduros do it all the time to make a timed check fall at the very end of an offroad section. Resetting to zero is useless on these rides. Just wondering, while contemplate buying one of these. My KTM has tripmeter only, that does just that. If the gear ratio is the same, I have an old speedo from an early 70's XL Honda that can be substituted. 70's Dual purpose bikes like DT's TS's and XL's all used to have incrementall adjustable tripmeters. (who else remembers that far back? ) The VDO on my Penton does too, come to think of it.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 01-25-2006 at 05:15 PM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:09 PM   #232
Spode
Malcontent

Oddometer: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
I doubt an analog odometer like on the KLX can do that. What you are really talking about isn't a reset, but "increment/decrement" adjusting the reading of the trip odo up or down my 10ths to match a roll chart. Useful if you get off mileage during a section but not really needed IMHO. I don't really see why you would normally have to reset to something other than zero. Maybe you just mean it's a pain if you have to roll it all the way back to zero at every reset? Or did I misunderstand you?
No, enduros often have instructions at certain points like "Set odometer to 41.6 mi."

FWIW, stock KDX odometers can be rolled forward and back like that.
Spode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #233
alternateimpact
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
So what about a rad guard/brace.... the one I ordered up didn't end up fitting! I hope there will be a KLX 250 specific rad guard soon, cause I dont want the expense of a busted rad. renthal bars, and acerbis bush guards have already saved my butt, and bike more than a few times.

Also, because I plead MX ignorance, my dealer told me that at the first service, they un cap the carb, which makes it rev better, and get better throttle response and power...what the hell is he talkin about...oe is it just an excuse to get me in to spend more money?

I am seeing green!
alternateimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #234
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
70's Dual purpose bikes like DT's TS's and XL's all used to have incrementall adjustable tripmeters. (who else remembers that far back? ) The VDO on my Penton does too, come to think of it.
Me. I rode a lot of enduros on a DT1E.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #235
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by alternateimpact
So what about a rad guard/brace.... the one I ordered up didn't end up fitting! I hope there will be a KLX 250 specific rad guard soon, cause I dont want the expense of a busted rad. renthal bars, and acerbis bush guards have already saved my butt, and bike more than a few times.

Also, because I plead MX ignorance, my dealer told me that at the first service, they un cap the carb, which makes it rev better, and get better throttle response and power...what the hell is he talkin about...oe is it just an excuse to get me in to spend more money?
Sounds like he's trying to get you in there to spend some money to me, unless he is going to do the above mentioned carb mods for you, which I doubt. I would go back and read about the carb mods and then go ask him what he meant by un-capping the carb and compare it to what you've read here. If it turns out that he's actually trying to help you uncork the bike (there are still a few honest dealers out there), make sure you find out what he does and let us know what youy think of the performance differences. Good luck!

Randy.
'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:59 PM   #236
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
The reset knob will not go backwards. Yes it does the all 7's, 8's & 9's before it goes back to all 0's.

As soon as you start turning the reset knob, the first digit (100 mile) starts to move immediatly along with the tenth's and then the rest catch up until you have all 1's 2's and so on until its back to zero's.

Randy.
'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)

Nobiman screwed with this post 01-25-2006 at 08:05 PM
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:35 PM   #237
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
I have been loitering around this thread for while now and must admit to being quite intrigued by this little bike.
In search for a lighter weight 'street legal' trail bike my research led me to the new Husky bikes, namely the TE 250 and even considered the 610 because of its road friendly gearing. A thread posted earlier by myself, asking about the dualsportability of the TE 250 got me a the odd verbal reprimand for such a "DUMB" enquiry...Anyway the TE 610 seems to be having some as yet unresolved teething issues, so I turned my sights back to something a little more mainstream ie. the KLXs. So taday I managed a brief test ride on the little marvel and I must say I was deadly impressed!
A very nicely put together package indeed. It certainly felt alot lighter than its claimed weight and even though it was bone stock, one could feel the very nature of trapped ponies within.
I had a chance to ride it up to sixth gear and was seing about 6k rpm for 60 mph, does this sound about right? 6K rpm was also where the engine seemed to come into its own, those of you who are still breaking yours in must be really jonesing by now. I must add that this engine is sooo smooth for a single, highway jaunts are very doable IMHO.
Now, like most others here, the need for a bigger tank is the only '?'
Anyway, Iam certainly very glad I took the time to get to know the KLXs it has been a revelation. Even did a little 3rd gear lugging around the dealer parking lot doing tight figure-eight's and it performed beautifully. Well, you all probably knew all of this already but I thought $.02 from a less biased non-owner might be appreciated by other sniffers like myself

GuinnesS screwed with this post 01-25-2006 at 10:07 PM
GuinnesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:09 PM   #238
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by P455
No, enduros often have instructions at certain points like "Set odometer to 41.6 mi."

FWIW, stock KDX odometers can be rolled forward and back like that.
OK, I didn't know that. Only been on non-competition events where you reset to zero at certain points.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:21 PM   #239
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus
found these websites, some are aussie but most have info either on KLX's or have KLX stuff for sale
http://www.4strokes.com/reviews/icat/

Anyone read the review on that iCat thing? Sounds impressive, but also sounds a little too good to be true. Is 4strokes.com a reliable source?
rockt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:54 PM   #240
f650gs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockt
Anyone read the review on that iCat thing? Sounds impressive, but also sounds a little too good to be true. Is 4strokes.com a reliable source?
Don't bother....it LOOKS like one of those so called spark enhancer units, used to put them in the coil wires of cars to increase the spark, years ago.
I cut one apart and discovered it was a capacitor
They can help a motor start, with bad plugs, as they used to fractionally delay the spark timing.
The best thing for a good spark on your bike is use an Iridium spark plug.
f650gs is offline   Reply With Quote