Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2006, 06:52 PM   #256
jimeconomou

Oddometer: n/a
KLX250 buddy pegs

Anyone who ownes one of these strip off the buddy pegs and would like to sell them? PM me if so, thanks, Jim.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:41 PM   #257
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Hi Dukeryder,
I'm approx your weight and it hauls my fat arse round just fine only thing I wanna do performance wise is drop one tooth on the countershaft for offroad. I'm getting the idea tho that the aussie version is not choked as much as the US bike, some ppl say in these forums the bike wont accerlerate in 6th gear, mine does just fine. However Todd's mods work just fine and don't cost much.
Whatever you decide good luck
Thanks

The next part is finding enough trails around here (with a couple hours drive) to justify buying a new one, or finding a used bike. The last thing I wanna do is ride in some ORV park that's wide open with a bunch of rednecks on "Quads", which looks like the majority of advertised "riding areas". Back in New England there was plenty of trails but they weren't exactly "Designated riding areas" but nobody gave a F' if you rode them or not. Once you get more than 50miles outside of New Orleans things get pretty rural, so there's got to be some cool offroad places to explore.
Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:32 AM   #258
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Got the Pelican case mounted looks great, you guys are going to hate me while I was doing the case (I pulled the rack off to do it) I noticed the air box snorkel on my bike is the long one. Couldn't see a p/n but took a pic
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2006, 03:48 AM   #259
work750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Hotting up KLX250's

Name:  bigtankklx.JPG
Views: 4280
Size:  79.6 KBHi all,

I have had a few KLX250. (Australian model). They are really easy to hot up and perform well when done. Also I can say that if serviced regularly they can take an absolute thrashing.

My last had a KLX300 barrel (bolts stright on) wiseco high comp piston and Kevin Doyle Cams (Australian tuner ) and it bumped out a genuine 34Hp at the rear wheel from about 8500rpm. But best of all, was that it equalled the stock KLX250 torque of a wopping 17Nm at only 3500rpm and had something like 27Nm from 6500 upwards. It was a real nice light, powerfull bike to ride.

If anyone is interested in how to get these to go from a novices perspective, just ask and I will post.

The best mod from stock, IF YOU ARE AT ABOUT SEA LEVEL!!!!!! is to remove the air box lid (not just the snorkle) and put it onthe shelf, put between 1mm- 1.5mm of washers under the needle (as it's non adjustable). Remove the stock main jet and put in a #150 main (yep that is much bigger isn't it) and put in a #42 pilot. This will make the bike run really nice and give you heaps more power striaght away. Anyway if you want more info, just ask. I am not a guru but I've spent allot of time on these bikes including a few 2500Km trips.

By the way you can really get the suspension going for only a few busks as well..
work750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:57 AM   #260
Mr.Grumpy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,439
Jeese, tat post has been up for almost three hours and no one has asked about the tank on the bike.......
Mr.Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:04 AM   #261
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Hi work750,

anything you wish to share will be apreciated, I know I'm all
Old 01-29-2006, 06:06 AM   #262
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy
Jeese, tat post has been up for almost three hours and no one has asked about the tank on the bike.......
I was just about to but ya beat me to it lol, so how about the tank, also what do you think of the Staintune muffler?
Old 01-29-2006, 06:51 AM   #263
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
We dont want to know more, we want to know it ALL Work750!

Lay it on us! ...........34 HP? .............Tell us more!

Why dont you just replace the needle with an aftermarket piece? It looks like you have the factory header, right? The 150 main jet sounds a little closer to what I would have guessed as opposed to the 122-125 range, of course your running with no lid. Thats probably a big part of the reason for the MJ size increase. What year is the bike in the pic? I notice that it does'nt have the anodized side cover like ours do.

Please list your mods with as much info on each one as you can muster, it sounds like you are where we want to be, performance wise.

Thanks, Randy.
'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:17 AM   #264
cman
cman

Oddometer: 285
Thumb

well after reading 18 pages I'm convinced this is the bike for me. One question, will the bike wheelie over obstacles that will be found while trail riding?? 1st gear/, 2nd gear/ wheelies? Do you have to pull hard on the bars to wheelie? Thanks for all your great post, and helping me make up my mind. cman
cman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #265
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Well my search is over, I am not going to find a more perfect compromise. This is the bike to fit my needs. The hop-ups that Work 750 and the rest of you nutters proposing are just the iceing on the cake. Since my little test ride the other day I have realised that this bike would be the most sensible decision I have made regarding a bike purchase in years. I set out looking at euroexotics, blinded by a novel attribute; a street legal TE Husky racing bike. But as I was promptly reminded, these (TE's) are pretty much useless as DS bikes. So with sober eyes I now see that this KLX is a most unique offering.

Well it didn't take me long to go exercise my new found wisdom. I called two local dealers and promtly brought home a little GREEN thing. I was so excited stuffing the bike into my Vanagon I ended up snapping off the left mirror. I then proceeded to hurry home leaving the manual and keys at dealership

The stock bars are the same as those on my wife's DR125 and are used as coat hangers by dry cleaners around the world. So a new Pro Taper Honda CR High w/ Cycra on order.
Happy to have read this excellent thread on this excellent bike and am looking forward to all futur mods and findings.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:15 PM   #266
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
That Acerbis tank is one I'm considering (along with the IMS). I kinda like the idea of keeping the stock shourds since the '06 green is a bit different than earlier Kaws. The Acerbis tank is kinda dark compared to the rest of the plastic.

I put in the 125 jet today (had the 122 in there) and did some more 3/4-WOF runs. Seems to be even better so I'll go with that for a while.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #267
Echo1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Hp & Torque...

Quote:
Originally Posted by work750
Attachment 66609Hi all,

I have had a few KLX250. (Australian model). They are really easy to hot up and perform well when done. Also I can say that if serviced regularly they can take an absolute thrashing.

My last had a KLX300 barrel (bolts stright on) wiseco high comp piston and Kevin Doyle Cams (Australian tuner ) and it bumped out a genuine 34Hp at the rear wheel from about 8500rpm. But best of all, was that it equalled the stock KLX250 torque of a wopping 17Nm at only 3500rpm and had something like 27Nm from 6500 upwards. It was a real nice light, powerfull bike to ride.

Those are impressive Hp & Torque numbers. For comparison purposes (according to the Kawasaki service manual) my stock KLR250 puts out 23Hp @ 9000rpm and 19.5Nm (14 ft-lb) @ 7500rpm.
Echo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:16 PM   #268
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
when some used examples of this bike pop up in the summer, I think i'll be buying.

Like vivverid pointed out, unfortunately, in MA we don't have the luxury of converting bikes like DRZ-E's. This little dual sport with a magic button is just what the doctor ordered for getting into the deep twisty places where the GS gets a bit overwhelmed.
Ill be right behind (or in front if your not quick) you Erik. I currently have my 87 XR250R that I have legal. Im the original owner and she starts with 1 kick and is strong, but this bike might make me jump. These 250's fill any gap my GS wont go into. Their a hoot !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #269
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman
well after reading 18 pages I'm convinced this is the bike for me. One question, will the bike wheelie over obstacles that will be found while trail riding?? 1st gear/, 2nd gear/ wheelies? Do you have to pull hard on the bars to wheelie? Thanks for all your great post, and helping me make up my mind. cman
Cman, The bike will wheelie in stock form, you just have to rap it pretty hard while dumping the clutch. I'm thinking that when we get these little K's uncorked from end to end and start getting closer to what Work750 (above) has horsepower wise, that they will have ALOT better roll on power.

Congrats to you guys on the new bikes.

Randy.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:19 PM   #270
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
That Acerbis tank is one I'm considering (along with the IMS). I kinda like the idea of keeping the stock shourds since the '06 green is a bit different than earlier Kaws. The Acerbis tank is kinda dark compared to the rest of the plastic.

I put in the 125 jet today (had the 122 in there) and did some more 3/4-WOF runs. Seems to be even better so I'll go with that for a while.
Hey Todd, have you tried running 'yer girl with her top off yet like Work750 suggests? I have finally finished my KTM and am gearing up for these KLX mods. I'll be ordering a large assortment of jets from Sudco today or tommorow just as soon as I figure out which jet the KLX uses. I think they are the small round Mikuni's but not sure yet. I'll probably pull the carb bowl off to check and then make my order. I'm waiting for one of you guys to order a full exhaust for these bikes to make sure the KLX 300 stuff works on our bikes, That way I dont have to be the guinea pig on this deal. I'm not sure how much longer I'm gonna be able to wait though, so hurry it up there pardners!

Randy.