Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #16
rideonmower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I'd be interested to know what the range is with the stock tank once you've put some miles on it.
rideonmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:56 PM   #17
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Update on mpg later this week.

Here's some pics. I was experimenting with my Cortech tail bag. It fits but is a bit too big for the rack. I think a Pelican 1200 will do nicely there.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:05 PM   #18
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Thoughts on the exhaust

I noticed in the owners manual that the exhaust has a catalytic converter

I'm wondering what the aftermarket might offer that would save some weight and open things up a bit...

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
Old 12-06-2005, 06:49 AM   #19
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

First farkles...

...going on tonight. Got Pro Taper bars and Cycra pro bend hand guards. Pics to follow.

BTW, the stock bars are plugged on the ends so hand guard installation would be a challenge on them.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

Old 12-06-2005, 07:53 AM   #20
charleshmosesii
No skills no worries

Oddometer: 824
Old 12-06-2005, 08:45 AM   #21
Spode
Malcontent

Oddometer: 5,511
Congrats on a sweet bike, bmwhd...

Could you take a closeup pic of the instrument pod, please? That little compact fairing and gauge package might be just the item to install on my KLR, I'm looking to get rid of the big uuhgly fairing on it.
Spode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:13 PM   #22
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

I'll get pics up in a few but I wanted to post some impressions on changing the bars and adding the hand guards:

I wanted more height so I went with an ATV bar (Renthal Yamaha Raptor 80 bend). There’s just enough slack in all the cables and wires to make the swap but I did have to remove the number plate and free up some slack in the wires by removing and re-installing some wire-ties. I also installed Pro Grip 737 gel grips and Cycra Pro Bend hand guards. Turns out the stock bars have plugs welded in the end so changing the bars was a must-do for the hand guards to work. The brake line rubbed on the Cycra inner mount on the left when I first got things bolted up. I re-located one of the brake line guides from the top triple clamp mount to the hand guard mount so the brake line can ride up and down with fork travel without rubbing on the hand guard.

The Raptor 80 bars added about 1.5” vertical lift while matching the other dimensions of the stock bars perfectly. They make standing on the bike perfect for me now. Plus they weigh about half as much as the stockers which should offset the weight penalty of the hand guards.

Next up: Pelican 1200, mini-voltmeter, and some flashing LED lighting to the rear…

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

Old 12-06-2005, 02:16 PM   #23
charleshmosesii
No skills no worries

Oddometer: 824
In addition to watching this development, I'm waiting for you to completely trick her out, and then come offer you money for her.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:26 PM   #24
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,198
that seat strap grab thing looks like a pain in the ass.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:57 PM   #25
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
that seat strap grab thing looks like a pain in the ass.
I thought that too but so far, no problem. My lead butt can't feel it.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

Old 12-06-2005, 10:01 PM   #26
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleshmosesii
In addition to watching this development, I'm waiting for you to completely trick her out, and then come offer you money for her.

I will be making some very careful mods but I'm not going to do anything to take away from this bikes great off-road performance. I added WAY too much stuff to my KLR and made it's marginal off-road abilities even worse.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

Old 12-07-2005, 08:02 AM   #27
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Renthal bars and Cycra hand guards

Pics of the bars, grips, and hand guards:

Compare to the stockers in this photo:

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

Old 12-07-2005, 08:54 AM   #28
Spode
Malcontent

Oddometer: 5,511
Looks nice!

That little gauge package is sweet! Now I just need to wait for someone to wreck theirs so I can salvage one for my KLR

The headlight shell looks a lot like one off a KDX I have an extra one of those. I was going to rig up a digital speedo unit but I'd prefer to have the small analog unit off the 250.

Nice lookin bike!
Spode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:50 PM   #29
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,198
i read somewhere on here or TT that a klx300 larger aftermarket tank will bolt right on, better confirm it though.

jjeezz , a 3.5 gal would give you a heck of a range.

small bores are a lot of fun..
Old 12-07-2005, 07:06 PM   #30
dazdconfsd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
i read somewhere on here or TT that a klx300 larger aftermarket tank will bolt right on, better confirm it though.

jjeezz , a 3.5 gal would give you a heck of a range.

small bores are a lot of fun..
That would be intersting as the radiator shrouds are different and the 300's stock tank gets some of it's extra capacity by being were the 250's radiator fan is.

I saw both sitting next to each other at a dealer while I was picking up parts. I was looking at details like these out of curiosity.

dazdconfsd screwed with this post 12-07-2005 at 07:18 PM
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote