Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2006, 09:08 PM   #361
hatto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thumb Info

Hi everyone

New member from oz, have to say this is the best info place i have been able to find. I have been trying to decide on a new ride and after all your great info have decided on a klx300. I have been reading the 25 or so pages on this post and am overwhelmed, When i get my bike I will be in for some of these mods, can't wait.
Some other posts on mods with stroker parts which may be of interest
cheers
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/klx-mods.html
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcdirt/trailrider/5klx.html
hatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #362
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
I ended up going over the top and back into the box with a new hose for reasons mentioned before.

Another 140 miles today, my buddies on the trail are totally amazed at how well this bike keeps up on the technical stuff, they finally started snooping at it with one eye. What a day!

I did however bottom out the forks a couple of times on the faster whoops. Any recommendations for this 210lbs rider aside from going on a diet?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #363
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Hi! Hatto and welcome aboard

I read soewhere that Stroker is no-more, i am sure someone else here will have more info.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #364
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnesS
I ended up going over the top and back into the box with a new hose for reasons mentioned before.

Another 140 miles today, my buddies on the trail are totally amazed at how well this bike keeps up on the technical stuff, they finally started snooping at it with one eye. What a day!

I did however bottom out the forks a couple of times on the faster whoops. Any recommendations for this 210lbs rider aside from going on a diet?
Other than the obvious compression clicker adjustments (at 210 you should be almost at max comp.) new springs will make a world of difference too. They are only about $100. You can also fiddle with fork oil heights & weights to get your desired results. Its not rocket science. Try it.

Randy.
'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #365
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Also, I found the Big Gun full exhaust system and just the Big Gun silencer here at Bike Bandit.
http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi...ion_Path~3.asp

The full system is like $431 (as opposed to $479 + $16 shipping from Big Gun itself) and just the silencer is $319 (not available on Big Gun's site). I'm going to cancell my Backordered system from Big Gun and re-order with Bike Bandit since they are a good amount cheaper.

Randy.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:58 PM   #366
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Great stuff! Keep us posted
Old 02-06-2006, 12:42 AM   #367
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
GuinnesS What about dropping the pressure to 18psi, I am concerned about not having any rim locks?

18 should be fine, regards suspension I read somewhere that the first thing you should do with these bikes is change fork oil and service rear shock.

jeepphamilee congrats enjoy your new toy

hatto thanks for those links and welcome, where in oz are you?

Good luck with the exhaust Randy. After reading that article hatto had Iím thinking I might just get the Staintune header and do the carbie mods. From what I have read the Staintune muffler is loud and itís a bit expensive for me at this stage.
Lol I just looked at that link for the big gun exhaust they havenít got the right pic thatís for sure, the header they show has 2 pipes, must be off the Honda

Well I got my BarkBusters today and fitted them, let me say universal fitment, like hell the bloody brackets that bolt onto the handle bar wanted to go right where the join of the handlebar and cross brace !!!!! After lots of swearing and trying different methods of mounting I got them on, not entirely happy but they are on.

Those weights or whatever the hell Kawasaki put in the end of the bars are a pain. I bashed them out with an old socket and the good old ball peen hammer. I also had to remove part of the knob on the end of the levers (brake and clutch).

I also picked up a second hand helmet today which just happens to be Ö wait for it, green, black and white wooo hooo

Cheers

Garry
Attached Images

2006 CT110X
2012 Versys
MaverickAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #368
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Alright lets see the helmet then

GuinnesS screwed with this post 02-06-2006 at 03:36 PM
GuinnesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #369
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Garry, the hand gaurds look sweet dude (dude has the same meaning as mate, mate. Just kidding.) I'm online now looking for parts for the KLX and thats one thing that I will be ordering too. Anybody considered an auto clutch yet? The Rekluse is about $400 or so for the KLX model, and about $75 for the kit that lets ya keep an active clutch cable to help with the rev & dump to get over an obsticle in the trail. I'm only considering it for the wife's bike because she does not have the experience with the slow speed single track type of riding that I think we have in our future. I only know a few guys who have one but they say that once you ride with one you'll wonder why you waited so long to get one. Right now its only being considered by me but I think it would make her riding experiences much more enjoyable.

Everyone keep the pics and info coming in. I'm really enjoying this thread and my new "thumper buds"

Randy.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:45 PM   #370
hatto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hi maverickaus, from a place called jervis bay (gods country). Very similar to coffs
cheers
hatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #371
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Alright lets see the helmet then

yeah that was my next thing to do today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
Garry, the hand gaurds look sweet dude

thanks, they are a quality product just not easy to fit to the standard KLX handlebars, Iím bidding on some Renthal bars on ebay so we will see what happens
Quote:
Anybody considered an auto clutch yet?

I read about that it sounds good.
Quote:
Everyone keep the pics and info coming in. I'm really enjoying this thread and my new "thumper buds"

Hear hear !!! I second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatto
Hi maverickaus, from a place called jervis bay (gods country). Very similar to coffs

Yeah I know Jervis Bay, I used to live at Batemans Bay, great place

Oh yeah almost forgot I got an email back from Clarke and Ö you guessed it

Garry

We do not have any current plans to produce a tank for this bike...

Sorry
Chris
Clarke mfg co
Attached Images

2006 CT110X
2012 Versys
Old 02-06-2006, 09:52 PM   #372
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

ooops
Old 02-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #373
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Looking sharp Maverick!

I got my Dynojet(s) today and promptly tore in to the bike. It was pretty straight forward aside from having to drill out the air mixture cap.
Result;
well not a huge difference, but some. It is recomended to remove the air box lid which I have not done yet, only removed snorkle. Tomorrow will try without lid and see what happens. I am not crazy about the intake noise with the lid removed, sounds too boggy to me but we must do what we must.
I am having some hesitation at bottom to mid throttle opening, perhaps the lid off might cure that though.
So far I am at recomended 128 main for sea level to 3000ft, 4th down position with two spacers over E clip and air screw 2.5 turns out. Stock exhaust sodomised by a 1/2 inch bit, crank vent mod and thats it!

I am beginning to want a different throttle, something like a 1/4 turn job. Aside from aftermarket stuff are there any Kawasaki KX/KXF throttles that would work?
Are there any blanking plates to cap off the head intake for the pollution 'afterburner' thingy? Alot busy hose s#1t in there that could find its way to the bin.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:05 AM   #374
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Thanks GuinnesS, I dare say the KX250 unit would be 1/4 turn, however it uses only 1 cable same as aftermarket. The KX250F uses 2 cables and would more than likely be 1/4 turn.
I had a look see on the Kawasaki website and the current model KX250, KLX250 and KX250F all use different cables. A matter of research and maybe borrow someone else's and try it.
Good luck with the carbie etc, personally I wouldn't run without the airbox lid, but thats me.
2006 CT110X
2012 Versys
Old 02-07-2006, 07:43 AM   #375
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Looking sharp Maverick!

I got my Dynojet(s) today and promptly tore in to the bike. It was pretty straight forward aside from having to drill out the air mixture cap.
Result;
well not a huge difference, but some. It is recomended to remove the air box lid which I have not done yet, only removed snorkle. Tomorrow will try without lid and see what happens. I am not crazy about the intake noise with the lid removed, sounds too boggy to me but we must do what we must.
I am having some hesitation at bottom to mid throttle opening, perhaps the lid off might cure that though.
So far I am at recomended 128 main for sea level to 3000ft, 4th down position with two spacers over E clip and air screw 2.5 turns out. Stock exhaust sodomised by a 1/2 inch bit, crank vent mod and thats it!

I am beginning to want a different throttle, something like a 1/4 turn job. Aside from aftermarket stuff are there any Kawasaki KX/KXF throttles that would work?
Are there any blanking plates to cap off the head intake for the pollution 'afterburner' thingy? Alot busy hose s#1t in there that could find its way to the bin.
FWIW, I found no performance difference between the airbox lid off and just the snorkle off. I went with the highflow snorkle of the KDX which kept performance up and noise down.

Did you drill the slide vent? Also, that clip position sounds a bit rich for the midrange. Either of those might contribute to the bog. Mines running like a scalded ape with essentially the same mods. Zero bog anywhere. However, I'm not sure how the DJ needle compares to the KLR300R needle I'm using.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote