Oddometer: 4,282
yes, it would be good to confirm it.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #32
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdconfsd
That would be intersting as the radiator shrouds are different and the 300's stock tank gets some of it's extra capacity by being were the 250's radiator fan is.

I saw both sitting next to each other at a dealer while I was picking up parts. I was looking at details like these out of curiosity.
I too was hoping the 300R tank would fit but I doubt it. The frame cross members are different.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:33 AM   #33
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

I ordered the Dual Star flashing LED tail light today. It's made for the KLR650 but it's a direct fit for many other bikes (I have one on my Bonneville America too).

I measured the KLX tail light internals last night and it should be no problem.

This unit is expensive but it's the brightest and most noticable I've ever seen on a bike. Way better than those cheapo replacement LED bulb clusters.

I get many positive comments from my riding buds on this unit. It's a small price to pay for not getting rear ended at a traffic light. Plus it saves watts!

The Pelican 1200 I ordered will be delivered tomorrow...Hmm...mounting options to consider...

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
Old 12-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #34
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
This is the bike I wanted my KLR250 to be...

I'll be staying tuned.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:00 PM   #35
Cauldron
Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer: 2,901
Here is a comparison between the new klx and the old klr.

Just for comparison...

..........KLX ------------KLR

Weight: 262 ------------258

Gastank: 1.9 gal --------2.9 gal

Wheelbase: 56.5" -------55"

Trail: 4.2" --------------4.61"

castor: 26.5 ------------28.5

seat height: 34.8" ------33.7"

redline: 10,500 ---------9,500

Cat conv.: yes ---------no

Clearance: 11.6" -------10.6"

Forks: 43mm -----------36mm

Now for the things that are the same:

All gears in transmission

compression ratio
(11-1)

6 speed

Now the weird thing is the final drive.

KLR has a 15/44 and a 17" rim
KLX has a 14/42 and a 18" rim

This looks to be the same...

The other big differences have to do with the type of frame and the size and adjustability of the shock and forks.

Not that this is a small thing...

Cauldron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:35 PM   #36
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by cauldron
Here is a comparison between the new klx and the old klr.

Just for comparison...

..........KLX ------------KLR

Weight: 262 ------------258

Gastank: 1.9 gal --------2.9 gal

Forks: 43mm -----------36mm

Now for the things that are the same:

compression ratio
(11-1)

6 speed

The other big differences have to do with the type of frame and the size and adjustability of the shock and forks.

Not that this is a small thing...

Don't forget the Magic Button, on the KLX.

Thanks for that comparo. Guess my KLR doesn't fall short as many places as I thought it does. I think the dirtbike-looking forks on the KLX are what give me the impression that it's much more dirt worthy.

Though, if the KLX is undersprung like just about every other bike from Japan, guess even that might not make such a difference (vs. springing my bike correctly).

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:21 PM   #37
Maritimer
Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Thank You Thank You Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
I've no hope of this generating the interest of Eeyore's great ULY thread but since a number of folks have expressed interest in the new (to the US market ) '06 KLX250S, I'll post my ownership experiences here.
I've been looking at this bike since the first early announcements a couple of months ago. I'm looking forward to a continuation of your experience with the bike. I'm 6'0" and about 210# with slightly longer legs, so I'm looking forward to seeing how well you fit the bike and if it will haul you around well.

If I get the bike it will complement (not replace) my DL650. I'm looking at using it almost exclusively off-road (and the pavement between the trails). Aftermarket dual-sporting is getting tricky here in Nova Scotia, so I want a factory street legal bike. I hope this is it.

Thanks for the information and keep it up!
Alan
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:02 PM   #38
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
For the record none of my jap dirt bikes have been under sprung, but all the jap dual sport bikes have been on the soft side that I've ridden. I actually had to go with lighter springs on my CR front and back to get full travel on a HS course. Stock, the only way I'd see full travel was royally screwing up a large jump (I race MX and HS).
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:34 PM   #39
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

While that's an interesting read on the spec comparison, I think it's a tad mis-leading. The suspension and frame on the KLX make it a whole different animal than the KLR250 despite the similarities on paper.

BTW, ride reports on hold until the frickin' ice is off the streets (at least it never lasts very long here).

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

Old 12-08-2005, 09:29 PM   #40
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
Sticking the KLX300 head on this, with the 6th gear, would it be a better highway tourer than the drz400?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:37 AM   #41
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
...going on tonight. Got Pro Taper bars and Cycra pro bend hand guards. Pics to follow.
BTW, the stock bars are plugged on the ends so hand guard installation would be a challenge on them.
If they are the same plug as the 300's, no prob. Just drill or pop them out. I cut 1" off the end of the bar for woods riding anyway and have EE ones on mine.
Re: your new bars
I thought the stock bars were too swept back and needed to be straighter. Your new ones are approaching cruiser bike territory.

gybeman screwed with this post 12-09-2005 at 06:43 AM
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:54 AM   #42
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gybeman
If they are the same plug as the 300's, no prob. Just drill or pop them out. I cut 1" off the end of the bar for woods riding anyway and have EE ones on mine.
Re: your new bars
I thought the stock bars were too swept back and needed to be straighter. Your new ones are approaching cruiser bike territory.
I tried drilling. There was a 1/4" thick washer tack welded in the end with some kind of bar stock behind it. I got tired of drilling and quit since I knew I wanted taller bars anyway.

I think the photo is misleading. Those bars have the exact same sweep and width as the stockers. They're just 1.5" taller.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

Old 12-09-2005, 07:56 AM   #43
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
Might as well go with some protapers

I've never yet started a ride with stock bars and finished with them in the same basic shape as when I started (yes, even on the rare occasions when I didn't crash).
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:30 AM   #44
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,675
when some used examples of this bike pop up in the summer, I think i'll be buying.

Like vivverid pointed out, unfortunately, in MA we don't have the luxury of converting bikes like DRZ-E's. This little dual sport with a magic button is just what the doctor ordered for getting into the deep twisty places where the GS gets a bit overwhelmed.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:46 AM   #45
charleshmosesii
No skills no worries

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
when some used examples of this bike pop up in the summer, I think i'll be buying.

Like vivverid pointed out, unfortunately, in MA we don't have the luxury of converting bikes like DRZ-E's. This little dual sport with a magic button is just what the doctor ordered for getting into the deep twisty places where the GS gets a bit overwhelmed.
That was my original thought, doc, but I can't wait damnit! I just can't! Do you have a prescription you could write me for this ailment?

I'm with stupid, and I'm alone
charleshmosesii is offline   Reply With Quote