Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #6421
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Oddometer: 240
Xciting new KLX 250 S owner.Wow,what a great FUN bike.
A couple of questions: Can't you just deep six the intake snorkel like all the other bikes for airflow?
Why all the fuss for a KDX snorkel?

My first purchase off ebay was a reuseable oil filter for $25. No-brainer
2nd item is a Driven folding shift lever that looks like a work of art.

My other question is there anyone who is making a wave rotor for the KLX? Thanks.
There are many wave rotors listed for Kawasaki but dont see any for klx

Also I thought about getting the tricker looking front fender from a 2009 and put it on my 2006 for $58.I wonder if it bolts up.
Another item I had were wide,cheap footpegs for my old klr that bolted right onto my klx. Yipee!

inroads screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 09:44 AM Reason: addditional info
inroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #6422
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,130
DynoJet Kit

I have a DynoJet kit to install... who here has been into their carb on an '09+ bike? I had a few questions...

I'm guessing you have to drill out the cap over the A/F screw, is that true?

How hard is it to get the carb off the bike (out of the frame)? Or are you able to spin it enough to do all the work with it on the bike?

Has anybody put one of the adjustable A/F screw knobs on it? I've found them for the Keihin FCR but not this one; anybody know if it'll fit?

I have a TwinAir filter to put in the airbox. Does anybody leave the lid off entirely, or just remove the snorkel? It looks like the stock snorkel may not come out without destroying it in the process.

I plan to jet for sea level, since I'm heading to Death Valley end of the month. I'm guessing on using a DJ116 or maybe a DJ120 if I take the lid off. The pipe is still stock.

Thanks!

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #6423
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I have a DynoJet kit to install... who here has been into their carb on an '09+ bike? I had a few questions...

How hard is it to get the carb off the bike (out of the frame)? Or are you able to spin it enough to do all the work with it on the bike?

Has anybody put one of the adjustable A/F screw knobs on it? I've found them for the Keihin FCR but not this one; anybody know if it'll fit?

I have a TwinAir filter to put in the airbox. Does anybody leave the lid off entirely, or just remove the snorkel? It looks like the stock snorkel may not come out without destroying it in the process.

I plan to jet for sea level, since I'm heading to Death Valley end of the month. I'm guessing on using a DJ116 or maybe a DJ120 if I take the lid off. The pipe is still stock.

Thanks!

Rob
I have the '09 but I think they're all pretty similar.

Yes, to adjust the idle mixture, you will need to pull the plug.

The carb can be a real bitch to remove the first time. Some have just turned it in the bike, but it's really easier on you to just take the carb out and not try to fiddle around with jets and such with it still on the bike. Just my opinion. Carb comes out the top of the frame.

Kouba has the fuel screw.

http://www.koubalink.com/

The stock snorkle will pop right out. It won't hurt it. Just tug it out.

My '09 with 351 kits runs lid on/no snorkle. You just need to experiment and see what's right for you. If you're trail riding, I don't think I'd remove the lid.

Can't comment on jetting for your altitude.

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #6424
vamtnman
SS Rider

Oddometer: 141
New owner of an 2009 today,

Will the pegs on eBay listed as "Kawasaki KLX250 KLX300 KLX650 KLX 250 300 650 FOOT PEGS" for 14.95 fit the '09.

Don't know if this is legal but the link is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KLX...#ht_632wt_1392

I know these come and go but but there is only about 4 hours left and I'd like to buy these if they fit.

Thanks
vamtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #6425
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamtnman View Post

Will the pegs on eBay listed as "Kawasaki KLX250 KLX300 KLX650 KLX 250 300 650 FOOT PEGS" for 14.95 fit the '09.

I know these come and go but but there is only about 4 hours left and I'd like to buy these if they fit.

Thanks
Dont know for sure, but probably.
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #6426
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamtnman View Post

Thanks
Yes these fit fine. I have a set. Love 'em.

Rob
Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #6427
vamtnman
SS Rider

Oddometer: 141
Thanks for the info on the foot pegs Rob! I just ordered a set.
vamtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #6428
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:

Thanks!

Rob
I put the DynoJet "Stage 1" parts in mine (116 main jet). I had ridden the bike with a larger jet and the snorkel removed, and with the KDX snorkel. I think with the stock snorkel is best. Search this thread for RangerRon's thoughts on the snorkel. I think he's right.

I used an external idle mixture screw that I bought from Arrowhead Motorsports for my KLR650 that I never got around to installing. Seems to work fine.

I just got back from a week in Death Valley, and the bike ran good. It did bog a bit at 7000+ feet. Maybe the DJ114 jet would be better.

Thanks for the tip on the silt bed on Hidden Valley road (from your ride report)!

cjbiker screwed with this post 03-16-2012 at 03:18 PM
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #6429
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I put the DynoJet "Stage 1" parts in mine (116 main jet). I had ridden the bike with a larger jet and the snorkel removed, and with no snorkel. I think with the stock snorkel is best. Search this thread for RangerRon's thoughts on the snorkel. I think he's right.

I used an external idle mixture screw that I bought for from Arrowhead Motorsports my KLR650 that I never got around to installing. Seems to work fine.

I just got back from a week in Death Valley, and the bike ran good. It did bog a bit at 7000+ feet. Maybe the DJ114 jet would be better.

Thanks for the tip on the silt bed on Hidden Valley road (from your ride report)!

I just read your ride report yesterday! Looks like a fun trip! I like your black KLX... great color combo!

I will try leaving the snorkel for now. Since I'm heading to DV in less than two weeks, I don't need any uncertainties. I'll run the 116 jet and the snorkel and won't even do a power tip just yet.

At really high elevation, you could remove the airbox lid to cure the bog. Quick, easy fix. Just remember to put it back on when you get back down so you don't go too lean.

That silt bed is a bitch. Did you try to cross it or did you go around? Next time, I'm going around!!

Rob
Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #6430
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
I just read your ride report yesterday! Looks like a fun trip! I like your black KLX... great color combo!

I will try leaving the snorkel for now. Since I'm heading to DV in less than two weeks, I don't need any uncertainties. I'll run the 116 jet and the snorkel and won't even do a power tip just yet.

At really high elevation, you could remove the airbox lid to cure the bog. Quick, easy fix. Just remember to put it back on when you get back down so you don't go too lean.

That silt bed is a bitch. Did you try to cross it or did you go around? Next time, I'm going around!!

Rob
Yeah, I had the same idea about the airbox lid. It never got bad enough to need to pull it. If I was going again, I'd put in the DJ114 main jet and leave the snorkel and pipe stock. It's still richer than stock, so no worries about being too lean, and it should perform better all around.

We went right through the silt bed. My buddy was in front and he got crossed up in a rut under the silt and slowed down, but didn't crash. I ran off the edge of the road to avoid hitting him. I was headed for the berm and braced myself for the crash, but the berm was pure silt and I went right through it like it wasn't there!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #6431
linkin5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I'm jetted stage two per the dynojet instructons and with the snorkle pulled still a tad rich on the main jet, My bike runs best without the airbox lid but I don't like not having something there in case of a water excursion. As far as the use of the snorkle goes if you still have a stock exhaust in place I dought you would benifit from opening the airbox much as the stock exhaust is the biggest limiting factor on a stock bike.
linkin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #6432
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkin5 View Post
I'm jetted stage two per the dynojet instructons and with the snorkle pulled still a tad rich on the main jet, My bike runs best without the airbox lid but I don't like not having something there in case of a water excursion. As far as the use of the snorkle goes if you still have a stock exhaust in place I dought you would benifit from opening the airbox much as the stock exhaust is the biggest limiting factor on a stock bike.
Have you considered a KDX snorkel? I didn't like the additional noise and vibration with my stock snorkel out. But the KDX snorkel has a bigger opening without the additional noise / vibration and minimizes the risk of water getting in.
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #6433
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by brieninsac View Post
Have you considered a KDX snorkel? I didn't like the additional noise and vibration with my stock snorkel out. But the KDX snorkel has a bigger opening without the additional noise / vibration and minimizes the risk of water getting in.
Is the KDX snorkel an OEM piece or is it aftermarket? If its OEM, anybody have the part number?

Thanks.

Rob
Old 03-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #6434
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Is the KDX snorkel an OEM piece or is it aftermarket? If its OEM, anybody have the part number?

Thanks.

Rob
Stock KDX snorkel. You can search this thread for the part number, or look up a 1996 (I think) or later KDX200 on Ron Ayers or Bike Bandit.

Or you can read FlyingFinn's well thought out discourse on why you should keep the stock snorkel

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=5858

YMMV of course, but I think he's right.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #6435
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Stock KDX snorkel. You can search this thread for the part number, or look up a 1996 (I think) or later KDX200 on Ron Ayers or Bike Bandit.

Or you can read FlyingFinn's well thought out discourse on why you should keep the stock snorkel

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=5858

YMMV of course, but I think he's right.

Never read that post before. I have the KDX snorkel in and have a dip in power between 6 and 7K, I think I will put the stock snorkle back in and see if it improves. Will report back once I test the stock snorkel.
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote