tonto
Son of a preacher man

Oddometer: 1,541
tonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #6993
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,242
OK fine, here's an update that actually pertains to the 'Long term KLX250S' subject matter.

I rolled over 7000 miles on my 2009 KLX250S on the way to work this morning. Here's a summary of the problems (or perceived problems) I've had in that time. As has been noted above, this is all just retreading of ground already covered.
1) I broke the shift star. This appears to be a 'common' breaking point on the '09 U.S. model KLX250S (and has been noted on '08 foreign models, as well as '10 U.S. models). There was an apparent design/manufacturing change in the newer model bikes that made them weak (at least for parts of the '08-'10 model years). All reports are that the current replacement part has reverted to the '06/'07 US model design.
2) My OEM automatic cam chain tensioner 'failed.' My bike developed the common cam chain rattle at ~5500 RPM, and it didn't go away with time. I got the Krieger manual cam chain tensioner, and problem solved. I actually did my first re-adjustment from the initial setting today; the cam chain tick was becoming barely audible after maybe 2-3 thousand miles or so since installing the manual tensioner; a quick adjustment on the side of the road and the cam chain is running quiet once again.

That's it for mechanical problems with my bike that were due to the bike/design itself. It does seem to be a fairly reliable, robustly built machine. Not what I'd consider a fully up to date motorcycle, but pretty damn good none the less.

Here's my thoughts on what could (should) be improved from the OEM without need for significant development by Kawasaki. Make it a 300 from the factory (has already fully developed and in production via the KLX300). Give it better suspension with full adjustability (again plenty of ready, vested tech available). Better carburation (carburetor or EFI) and exhaust would be nice.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #6994
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,207
AND install the kick start at the factory even if if it raises the price a little (if done at the factory it really should only be a little bump).
Old 07-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #6995
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,520
Lutz, the reason that most of these 250 DS bikes are 250cc is licensing, driver age requirements, insurance, and other bureaucratic issues all across the board. It's probably based on an old, outdated, concept, but it is what it is.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #6996
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,242
I understand that 250cc is a clearly defined line in many locations for a variety of reasons...but I think most of that is in other countries, not the U.S. Since there are certain changes that manufacturers must make that are country-specific anyway, it would be nice if the U.S.-bound production runs were done with the larger cylinder combo. Pipe dream, I know, but a dream none the less. I guess it's a moot point though...I already bought my KLX.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #6997
taranaki
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
I understand that 250cc is a clearly defined line in many locations for a variety of reasons...but I think most of that is in other countries, not the U.S. Since there are certain changes that manufacturers must make that are country-specific anyway, it would be nice if the U.S.-bound production runs were done with the larger cylinder combo. Pipe dream, I know, but a dream none the less. I guess it's a moot point though...I already bought my KLX.

I'm OK with 250 cc's. If it were a 300 some folks would ask "why didn't they make it a 350?" I did ride a KLX 400 a few months back and I must admit, the added grunt was nice.

While I'm here, where's a good place to tap power for a GPS? The battery terminals are already busy with a Battery Tender pigtail.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #6998
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,363
[I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [/I
While I'm here, where's a good place to tap power for a GPS? The battery terminals are already busy with a Battery Tender pigtail.

Easy,

Use the battery tender plug AS YOUR power source for your GPS, etc.

https://www.denniskirk.com/2000145.s...utm_medium=cse
Old 07-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #6999
vamtnman
SS Rider

Oddometer: 148
Battery Tender Female Cigarette Plug Adaptor

"Easy,

https://www.denniskirk.com/2000145.s...utm_medium=cse"

OR Amazon has It for $6.95
Old 07-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #7000
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post

Easy,

https://www.denniskirk.com/2000145.s...utm_medium=cse
Not a bad idea. I spent most of yesterday getting lost in the mining trails around Central City. Of course that's not necessarily bad.... Perfect conditions for the little KLX.
kbuckey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #7001
taranaki
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamtnman View Post
"Easy,

https://www.denniskirk.com/2000145.s...utm_medium=cse"

OR Amazon has It for $6.95

That's a clever device, but I'll be using the Montana rugged mount i.e. no 'male' lighter plug involved. I'm down with using the Tender's pigtail for sure, but is there an option to the double-ended (I'd be cutting one end off to splice) 25' cable from Battery Tender?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #7002
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by taranaki View Post
That's a clever device, but I'll be using the Montana rugged mount i.e. no 'male' lighter plug involved. I'm down with using the Tender's pigtail for sure, but is there an option to the double-ended (I'd be cutting one end off to splice) 25' cable from Battery Tender?
Brother,

Part one of the equation, is six feet long.

Part two is 18 inches, not 18 feet. Bet you misread that?

Part one, the socket:

six feet of cable
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...ry+tender+plug

Part two with fuse and terminal rings to go to your stock batt.

18 inches of cable

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341496279&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+tender+plug
Old 07-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #7003
taranaki
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Brother,

Part one of the equation, is six feet long.

Part two is 18 inches, not 18 feet. Bet you misread that?

Part one, the socket:

six feet of cable
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...ry+tender+plug

Part two with fuse and terminal rings to go to your stock batt.

18 inches of cable

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341496279&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+tender+plug

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #7004
ugo1st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
fwiw, radio shack used to sell a "12v CB radio connector" it came with male and female with pigtails. I sort of made it the standard for all my stuff on all my bikes, chargers, heated vest, air comp, etc. Only because it was readily available and was a good connector.

off topic but on a recent rip we used 1 guys bike as the "charge bike", all the small gadgets, gps, spot's, phones, etc plugged into his bike over night using multiple cig lighter array. with the expectation of having to jump start it in the AM it never killed it and cranked slow but started (DRZ)
ugo1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #7005
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
So what kind of electrical load have you put on the KLX?

Have a battery tender cable attached to the battery (someone gave it to me), have never used it.
It's going to get cold sooner than I want to think about, what can I plug in?
Going to get rechargeable battery powered gloves, but has anyone used a vest or other gear?

And now for something completely different...

My KLX has 4200 miles. Problems so far...last Friday, mileage 4001, coming home with cold beer, she wouldn't go unless wide open...water in the carb, drained it, fixed it.
Oh and it gets heavy if you keep dropping it...
Wait that's really my problem.

Really love this thing, I've beaten the snot out of it on the trails, and then I ride home all muddy on the street!!!

Going to call Bill Blue tomorrow...if work isn't crazy.

Oh and she's still bone stock except for all the protection needed for throwing your bike at rocks, trees and logs. Oh and new rubber with rim locks (changing my world every dirt ride). Oh and (can you sense the pattern) run a 14/47 on a 108 link chain, thinking about 15/47....

And I've read every damn page at least once.

Seriously, very good info throughout. Thanks.
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote