Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #7021
goofus
Swamp Yankee 4Life

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophex View Post
Ok, so I wanted to install some Zeta ARMOR handguards on my stock bars, but ran into 2 problems:

1. The brake line gets in the way of the inner clamps on both sides. (Why didn't Kawasaki use a big loop style line like on any other Enduro/MX bike ?)
  2. When I removed the rubber from the end of the grips, I saw THIS There is some kind of inner tube welded inside the bars ... There is no way the expansion bolts will fit into this...

Has anyone else managed to install these handguards on their stock bars ? And if so, how ?
Also, where could I get longer front brake lines ?
And if there is no other option, which bar would you guys recommend getting to replace the stock one ?
I installed the Renthal CR-High bars on my 2010 KLX250S with Zeta 3-finger levers and Moose handguards and covers. They are almost exactly the same dimensions, height, sweep, etc as factory. 722-01-BK-01-185 . Cable lengths work fine. No bar ends to drill out (although I did later grind out the welds with the dremel when using the bars on another bike).

It takes some re-work of the front brake line guide to make the line miss the inner handgaurd clamps (if you run Moose's, for example).

Also, Zeta levers are f-ing awesome. My install- http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=6793

goofus screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 11:01 AM
goofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #7022
EZman671
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
KLX250 Adjustable Kickstand

Short legs means some height adjustment. Doing OK now with the Kouba 3 links. After each adjustment I was always faced with the kickstand height thing. Used wood pads on the foot and even JB welded a rod into the two pieces of kickstand after cutting it off.

To long and and the bike wants to fall to the right after getting my weight off. To short and it will easily fall left.

Just right is difficult to find and set with a cut and weld method.

So - an M10 coupling nut fits nicely up into the cutoff kickstand. A M10 nut with a M10 hex head bolt bottomed fits nicely in the bottom piece.

A little welding, some Locktite and here it is.

About 55 cents worth of dimes and pennies shoved into the spring at max extension makes it easy to remove and replace.

Note - Some pictures show one lock nut and some show two. I settled on 2 to use as a locking nut. Only the very bottom nut and the upper coupling nut are welded in.

I also removed about 1.5 inches of kick stand tube to make up for the length the nuts and bolt add to the length of the kick stand. Just make sure the minimum height is short enough.

EZman671 screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 11:00 AM
EZman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #7023
De250r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I was walking by my old Kdx200 parts bike today an noticed it had a decent 50 rear sprocket on it so I measures it and 45 minutes and two master links later it was on my klx. Took it for a spin and it is a totally different trail bike real good power and torque. Will cruise at 50 pretty good still. I'll have to take off the 13 front and try the stock. But really impressed with the gear change
De250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #7024
De250r
Adventurer

Went for a 40 mile trail ride today. Beautiful day and love the new chain and sprocket combo
Old 07-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #7025
De250r
Adventurer

This is from a couple weeks ago. Went Ridin with a bunch of 4x4 wheelers. They couldn't believe we're the little klx will go. Can wait to go again with my new chain and sprocket combo
Old 07-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #7026
total_n00b
Bits. Bytes. Bikes.

Oddometer: 80
KLX250s in Donner Train Tunnels, Truckee CA

I rode the abandoned train tunnels above Donner Lake in Truckee, CA twice over the weekend (pictures below were from a ride where I was on the 140 - I let my brother-in-law ride the 250 cuz he's bigger than me ;) - I did the second ride solo on the 250). The tunnels are dark, gravelly, with headlight non-optional (KLX 250 had to provide light for the 140), with some pretty cool water crossings (in the tunnels, sorry no pictures of this). This was great ride with great views:

The KLX250s (and the 140) kicked ass on these rides, and the FMF Q4 on the 250s sounded *awesome* in the tunnels ;)

This is a ride I strongly recommend if you're in the area - the entire Tahoe area is also filled with tons of great trails.

I also did about 70 miles around the Lake Tahoe area (on road) with several impulsive turnoffs onto fire roads. The KLX really shined for all of this, despite being jetted for sea level. Dual sports like the KLX were invented for this stuff ;)
Old 07-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #7027
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_n00b View Post
I rode the abandoned train tunnels above Donner Lake in Truckee, CA twice over the weekend (pictures below were from a ride where I was on the 140 - I let my brother-in-law ride the 250 cuz he's bigger than me ;) - I did the second ride solo on the 250). The tunnels are dark, gravelly, with headlight non-optional (KLX 250 had to provide light for the 140), with some pretty cool water crossings (in the tunnels, sorry no pictures of this). This was great ride with great views:

The KLX250s (and the 140) kicked ass on these rides, and the FMF Q4 on the 250s sounded *awesome* in the tunnels ;)

This is a ride I strongly recommend if you're in the area - the entire Tahoe area is also filled with tons of great trails.

I also did about 70 miles around the Lake Tahoe area (on road) with several impulsive turnoffs onto fire roads. The KLX really shined for all of this, despite being jetted for sea level. Dual sports like the KLX were invented for this stuff ;)
Being a local you may want to check out this thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756899
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #7028
CorNut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Pic is right before unloading and parking it at its new home! Looks like I have a bit of reading to do in this thread, see ya in a few days

CorNut screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 09:29 PM
CorNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #7029
De250r
Adventurer

This thread will take a couple days to get through. Nice I like the red. Enjoy the little klx that could.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #7030
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,028
That really is a gorgeous red/black combo! Is that a 2012? I see for 2013 it's green or white... also looks like there's no more KLX250SF.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #7031
CorNut
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
That really is a gorgeous red/black combo! Is that a 2012?
It is the 2012. I was gonna go used but decided to go ahead and get that from the local dealer, cost me 4850. I haven't rode in about 8 years and still haven't really experienced the KLX aside from taking it around the neighborhood a few times since my helmet doesn't show up until Wednesday. Family will be over on Wed too so I won't be able to hit the trails until Thursday.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #7032
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorNut View Post
It is the 2012. I was gonna go used but decided to go ahead and get that from the local dealer, cost me 4850. I haven't rode in about 8 years and still haven't really experienced the KLX aside from taking it around the neighborhood a few times since my helmet doesn't show up until Wednesday. Family will be over on Wed too so I won't be able to hit the trails until Thursday.
The worst part will be the first few times you drop it. Mine hit the ground the first time when I'd had it only about three days; I let it off the jack and forgot to grab it, and over it went. Took out the right side mirror and front turn signal. Oh was I PISSED. 'Course I rushed to pick it up and it went down on the LEFT side because the f'ing side stand was up. Took out the OTHER mirror. Sonofabitch. Oh and it scratched up the rear side panels too. So it was "broken in" with about 100 miles on it.

I've since replaced all the signals with smaller ones that don't stick out so far, and the mirrors with DoubleTakes (the ones that use RAM mounts). The side panels are still nicely scratched. :)

Tip: If you plan to ride offroad, lose those stock tires. They're horrible. I used to think they were decent, but when I finally put Kenda Trackmaster II's on it, I came to see what real tires are like. A 13T sprocket is also a very good thing.

BTW, I'm moving to Salem in another week or so. We'll have to ride sometime!

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #7033
De250r
Adventurer

Agree about dreading the first time it gets dropped. I was hesitant about buying a new one just for that fact. Luckily after about 5 rides on it I discovered a muddy sink hole as I was just about stopped it started to fall and i didn't have any footing and just dropped it splat in the mud. It is a pretty tough little bike as I've dropped mine prob ten times (a couple good ones ) and it's taken it admirably. X2 on ditching the stick tires.love the trak master2 rear also but the front seamed nervous. Will look for a different front next time but the rear is awesome.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #7034
CorNut
Adventurer

A buddy of mine here in Eugene just arranged a deal yesterday, he's getting a brand new XT250 for 4500 that he's picking up on Wednesday so luckily I will have somebody to ride with. I let him take a little stroll on the KLX and he immediately had flashbacks to when he was growing up and wanted to get a bike. He liked the KLX but at 5'7" he wanted something just a little bit shorter and when checking out the different bikes he liked the feel of sitting on the XT the best. I'll surely look into tires but the first bit of $ I spend will probably be a skid plate, hand guards, and new mirrors. Originally I was planning on helping it breathe better but I haven't rode in so long I highly doubt I need more power already! Figure put a few bucks into protecting it and my hands a bit since it will mainly be used for off-road and I'm sure I'll misjudge things and dump it a LOT at first

Those mirrors, just looking at em I already know I'll break em. I can see those breaking from a little snag without even dumping it. I'll either get some small ones just to be legal or some folding ones, not too sure yet. We'll definitely have to see where the locals go Rob, I have some great logging roads here in Springfield I have been eyeballing but haven't actually been on em. I deliver mail in a rural area in Springfield so I know where all the logging roads are out there, plus I know all the locals and they won't mind at all, probably even offer me lunch

CorNut screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 12:27 PM
Old 07-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #7035
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Engine/carb question, please.

Hello all, I read this thread and a few others regularly. I am deciding on which small ds i want to find to feed my forest road habit that my wee strom doesnt satisfy.

The KLX250 is high on my radar and I went to try out a used one today. It was dirty and kinda rough, but I like em that way. It hadnt been srarted in a while and the owner had to get out a charger to jump it off. I rode it around his neighborhood and it seemed ok.

I have been inside the innyrds of many bikes but I never rode one that did what this one did and I wonder if yall think its an easy fix.

Remember it hadnt been started in weeks or months. When you turn the throttle to rev it a bit, the rpm didnt fall right back to idle immediately. It kinda stayed there a second, then very gradually came back to idle over several seconds. I asked the owner if it had always done that and he said it had. He is the second owner. He said others told him it was probably sticky cables. So, i reached down to the carb and revved it up there. It did the same thing. Plus, the throttle tube snaps back like you think it should.

So, maybe dirty carb/slide/needle? A valve check issue? I am just not sure of the possibilities of what would cause the revved engine to not fall right back to idle.

The bike was rougher than the price he is asking, but again, rough looking is ok if mechanics are good. The battery iss and this issue give me some bargaining leverage, I think. But if yall can help me understand what might be required to bring it around I would be more comfortable with an offer.

Thanks for your help!

Oh, the bike is an 06 with about 2500 miles.
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold

kewlbyme screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 05:02 PM Reason: i am a dumbass, most of the time.
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote