Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #7141
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,393
Try a KTM for a while. You'll realize the KLX kickstand is a dream. The length is a good compromise, it's sturdy enough that you can climb on the bike while it's on the stand, and the foot is big enough to support it on soft ground. Oh, and it doesn't "auto retract".
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #7142
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Looking at every other dual sport kickstand, I disagree. I'm sure the soft spring isn't helping things, but the design just sucks, with the spring in the rear, as well as the way the kickstand mates with the bracket on the bike, it's too loose causing it to lean even more once the pad hits the ground. The lean angle also blows. ;)
What do you mean it's too loose? It shouldn't be "loose" in a lateral direction at all. maybe the bolt holding yours on is loose.

BTW, my DR650 is the same way, just not QUITE as bad.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #7143
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
What do you mean it's too loose? It shouldn't be "loose" in a lateral direction at all. maybe the bolt holding yours on is loose.

BTW, my DR650 is the same way, just not QUITE as bad.

Rob
You put the stand down. The pad contacts the ground in one spot, but then you put the weight of the bike on the stand and it will kick the pad out away from the bike a little more. This is due to the "female" portion of the kickstand being wider than the "male" bracket on the bike. The bolt is tight.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #7144
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Try a KTM for a while. You'll realize the KLX kickstand is a dream. The length is a good compromise, it's sturdy enough that you can climb on the bike while it's on the stand, and the foot is big enough to support it on soft ground. Oh, and it doesn't "auto retract".
I don't know about KTM's, but I'm very jealous of my friend's WR250R and DRZ400S kickstands.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #7145
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
You put the stand down. The pad contacts the ground in one spot, but then you put the weight of the bike on the stand and it will kick the pad out away from the bike a little more. This is due to the "female" portion of the kickstand being wider than the "male" bracket on the bike. The bolt is tight.
Ahhhh... yep mine does it too. My DR does not, at least not as much. Part of the issue with mine, though, is my stand has been bent so many times from going down (on dirt). I think the metal itself, or the thickness of it, is pretty lame. It bends way easily.

I think one of the better solutions might be to have the stand converted to adjustable length. There's a guy here on ADV, I'd have to look him up, but he'll convert stands for $20 if you ship it to him. He's in Sacramento.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #7146
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,393
Yeah, the stand pivot is a little sloppy, but I don't find it to be an issue. My KLR is much worse. Must be a Kawasaki thing
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #7147
bymbie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACole View Post
Here's my 09 with a purpose built aux tank by www.nomadtanks.com.au

Bike has a two bros exhaust, uni filter, KDX Snorkel and a stage 2 Dynojet kit.
Goes really well. Huge difference after jetting. Just fitted fork spring spacers but have yet to really test them.
That rear fuel tank is really nice... Do you have to remove it to fill your main tank or that "hose thing" hanging out is the ticket? I wonder how a Giant Loop rides with that tank. Do you have the 4 liter?
bymbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #7148
EZman671
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Kick Stand

Check post # 7029 in this thread.

Adjustable kick stand.
EZman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #7149
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

What's that little plastic inline thingie that hangs down with all the vent hoses by the brake pedal? It looks like it's connected to the airbox vent hose. I only ask because it broke off earlier this week. Should I replace it?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #7150
ACole
Udafarkarwee Tribe.

Oddometer: 53
Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bymbie View Post
That rear fuel tank is really nice... Do you have to remove it to fill your main tank or that "hose thing" hanging out is the ticket? I wonder how a Giant Loop rides with that tank. Do you have the 4 liter?
You just fill as you would any other tank. It is plumbed in with it's own fuel tap. No complications at all and yes it is 4 liters.
The hose coming out the top of the aux tank cap is just the breather.
09, KLX250s, Stage 2 jet kit, etc, 09 XT660R, Stage 2 DNA Filter, Dunlop D606 Tyres, GYTR Bash Plate, Fork Spring Spacers, OTR Water Pump Guard, CNC Gear Lever, Rear B/lever ext, EGO B/Busters, Cameltoe S/Stand Puck, Ventura pack rack. CB1000R9
ACole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #7151
galusham
MotoMark

Oddometer: 20
Any Rear Fender Replacements

Has anyone found a good replacement for the newer 2009+ rear fender? Not to bust on the bike, but I just don't like the new rear fender style at all. To me, it looks like Kawasaki tried to make the rear fender look like a KTM front fender? I used to own a 2007 klx250s, but unfortunately sold it. Looking at maybe getting a used 2009+. I know it's trivial, but I just can't get passed the look of that rear fender... Thanks.
galusham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #7152
ACole
Udafarkarwee Tribe.

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by galusham View Post
Has anyone found a good replacement for the newer 2009+ rear fender? Not to bust on the bike, but I just don't like the new rear fender style at all. To me, it looks like Kawasaki tried to make the rear fender look like a KTM front fender? I used to own a 2007 klx250s, but unfortunately sold it. Looking at maybe getting a used 2009+. I know it's trivial, but I just can't get passed the look of that rear fender... Thanks.
I gather you've seen an 09 klx that has had the Beaver Tail removed and the DRC Edge 2 set up fitted?
09, KLX250s, Stage 2 jet kit, etc, 09 XT660R, Stage 2 DNA Filter, Dunlop D606 Tyres, GYTR Bash Plate, Fork Spring Spacers, OTR Water Pump Guard, CNC Gear Lever, Rear B/lever ext, EGO B/Busters, Cameltoe S/Stand Puck, Ventura pack rack. CB1000R9
ACole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #7153
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
I love my KLX250s, but I HATE the kickstand. It is such a stupidly designed setup that causes the bike to lean too much. Last night, I built a riser out of cutting board plastic to bolt to the bottom. Has anybody come up with any better solutions that don't require welding? Any other kickstands that fit and work better?
My kickstand almost got me in a gang fight a few nights ago.

After some hard riding in the jungle and back to the big city of KL I parked in the only open spot between about 20 other motorcycles at a "mamak" stall (late night outdoor Indian restaurant). Took a couple steps from the bike when I heard heard the sound of metal hitting metal and turned aournd.
My bike had fallen 2/3 over and taken the small bike next to it 1/2 over and the "domino" game was just about to begin. I saved the 2nd bike with an outstretched hand but leaning far and barely able to stop it while my bike was leaning on my knee.

I was just able to "freeze" the situation while the owners came over and sorted it out. They were what we locally call "Mat rempits" - young Malay motorcycle gangsters. I'm a big white guy who speaks Malay but nobody suspected I could understand them. They discussed jumping me but decided against it. Possibly because a. I was quite a bit bigger than the next guy, b. I had a wicked looking machete hanging off my bike and c. I looked kind of freaky covered in mud, and a few leaches still twitching on my boots.
Instead we decided to be friends for which I was quite glad!

Oh yeah... but the point ... it was because the kickstand is just a bit too short and flexes a bit as well.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #7154
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Here's my 2009 KLX250S with the Edge rear tail light and the 12 o'clock labs integrated turn signals. They work fairly well. Not the best during daylight hours though.

SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #7155
Klasjm
R100gs

Oddometer: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
My kickstand almost got me in a gang fight a few nights ago.

owners came over and sorted it out. They were what we locally call "Mat rempits" - young Malay motorcycle gangsters. I'm a big white guy who speaks Malay but nobody suspected I could understand them. They discussed jumping me but decided against it. Possibly because a. I was quite a bit bigger than the next guy, b. I had a wicked looking machete hanging off my bike and c. I looked kind of freaky covered in mud, and a few leaches still twitching on my boots.
Instead we decided to be friends for which I was quite glad!

Oh yeah... but the point ... it was because the kickstand is just a bit too short and flexes a bit as well.

Funny story

Klasjm is online now   Reply With Quote