User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #7156
streakerfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Hey guys,

Been reading this thread for over a year now and its a wealth of information. Here is my 2010 KLX250s. Bought it new May 2011 with 1 mile on it. Now has somewhere between 35,000 and 40,000 miles on it. Its my first bike and I am very happy with it. I'm 5'10 160 pounds and the bike seems to be made for me.

Same issues as everyone else. Bike is very cold blooded and issues fitting hand guards. This is the bike I learned on so the clutch is starting to slip from time to time and its in desperate need of valve service, but due to lack of knowledge, tools, and place to work I have no clue when those will be taken care of.

I have made no modifications over the past year and the bike is stock except for luggage. After 8,000 miles I replaced the stock tires with Kenda K270s. Front: 3.25-21 Rear: 5.10-18. This tire does not have the best life, but I find its a nice 50/50 tire for my daily commuting around the Boston area. I ride in rain, snow, etc and they seem to work pretty well for my needs.

Luggage is a GiantLoop Coyote which has been on the bike for 30,000 miles.

streakerfreak screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 02:23 PM
streakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #7157
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,084
Nice bike! Wow you sure put a lot of miles on it!!!

I would strongly recommend getting your valves done ASAP before it destroys your motor. Seriously. There's somebody over on Kawi forums who is very adamant about that because he waited too long and lost his motor as a result.

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #7158
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,391
35,000 miles in one year on a KLX, that's awesome! You must have taken some great trips. How do you like the GL Coyote? Do you have any issues with the exhaust heating up the right side? I have one and I thought it got a little too warm, so I added some more insulation to the underside of the right side cover.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #7159
streakerfreak
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Nice bike! Wow you sure put a lot of miles on it!!!

I would strongly recommend getting your valves done ASAP before it destroys your motor. Seriously. There's somebody over on Kawi forums who is very adamant about that because he waited too long and lost his motor as a result.

Rob

Well aware of it, but just can't swing to have it done at a shop. Hopefully, I will figure out how to get it taken care of soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
35,000 miles in one year on a KLX, that's awesome! You must have taken some great trips. How do you like the GL Coyote? Do you have any issues with the exhaust heating up the right side? I have one and I thought it got a little too warm, so I added some more insulation to the underside of the right side cover.
Bought the bike in Montana and put about 100 miles on it daily to gain experience as fast as possible. Then rode it down to Arizona where over the next year I did the same thing. Long weekend trips, day trips, and after work trips. If I wasn't working, I was riding. Not putting the same kind of mileage on the bike here in Boston, but once I get the bike fixed up and some funds I will.

For the most part I love the GL Coyote. I can fit about a weeks of gear and food in it (minimalist). No issue with exhaust heating the right side up. Only issue is sometimes rain gets in depending on the direction of the rain.

streakerfreak screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 02:19 PM
Old 08-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #7160
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by streakerfreak View Post
Well aware of it, but just can't swing to have it done at a shop. Hopefully, I will figure out how to get it taken care of soon.
I bet if you post here and in the regional forum, you could find someone willing to coach / help out / tutor you on a valve check / adjustment. Cost should be minimal, probably just a few shims, maybe a gasket.

As you know, the cost of waiting could be high.

That's impressive mileage for a year and a bit!
Old 08-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #7161
streakerfreak
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I bet if you post here and in the regional forum, you could find someone willing to coach / help out / tutor you on a valve check / adjustment. Cost should be minimal, probably just a few shims, maybe a gasket.

As you know, the cost of waiting could be high.

That's impressive mileage for a year and a bit!

Posted up in the Northeast section.

Took to riding overnight. There is not much else I enjoy more then exploring on the bike.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #7162
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

When you do find somebody to help, you can probably get them to help you install a 351 kit too.

Rob

Old 08-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #7163
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Yo streakerfreak...

...good tutorial on valve check and shim change (if needed) on Kawasakiforums. Go to the KLX250 section. Lots of good info, much of which has been compiled from here.
If you see a KLX from NH with Duppy Conqueror stickers on it parked at Sally O'Briens, come in and check out the show(if you like reggae), I'll buy you a beer(not in the band just friends with them).
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #7164
streakerfreak
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
When you do find somebody to help, you can probably get them to help you install a 351 kit too.

Rob

Eh, I'm happy with the bike the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobolator View Post
...good tutorial on valve check and shim change (if needed) on Kawasakiforums. Go to the KLX250 section. Lots of good info, much of which has been compiled from here.
If you see a KLX from NH with Duppy Conqueror stickers on it parked at Sally O'Briens, come in and check out the show(if you like reggae), I'll buy you a beer(not in the band just friends with them).
Just moved the girlfriend from Somerville. I've seen a few KLXs around the Boston area since moving back.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 AM   #7165
Aron31
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Any of you ever had any issues with odd ticking noises?

Story is I bought a used 2009 with 125 miles of in a couple months back. It's been slowly developing this noise from then on. Bike is basically stock. Oil got changes at 200 miles and again at 500. It only has a shade under 800 now.

My best guess is valves loose or cam chain. But with the amount of miles on it neither really make sense to me. Anyone got any ideas?

My 2008 Klr 650 (orange)
Wife's 2008 Klr 650 (red)
Aron31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #7166
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron31 View Post
Any of you ever had any issues with odd ticking noises?

Story is I bought a used 2009 with 125 miles of in a couple months back. It's been slowly developing this noise from then on. Bike is basically stock. Oil got changes at 200 miles and again at 500. It only has a shade under 800 now.

My best guess is valves loose or cam chain. But with the amount of miles on it neither really make sense to me. Anyone got any ideas?
I agree on cam chain. There have been several people here who have gone to the manual cam chain tensioner ($70-ish) to cure various noises. Hopefully they'll chime in soon.

Rob
Old 08-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #7167
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,515
The Mark Kreiger manual cam chain tensioner is only about $35-$40. I helped Mark by using my '06 KLX as the test bed for the tensioner. It's simple, and it works. If you're one of those with the sub par OEM tensioner, this is the easy, inexpensive fix. Long term operation with that noise will cause premature wear on the cam chain.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #7168
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,246
Strange that the OEM tensioner went this soon, but for the plain dismal track record of those things, some of them got to be failing early.

No affiliation whatsoever, but just another happy owner of Krieger's manual cam chain adjuster. http://www.kriegercamchaintensioners.com/
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #7169
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Whoops, my bad. Thought they were more costly than that.

I'm going to do one when I do my 351 kit... whenever that happens.

Rob
Old 08-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #7170
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
I'm no expert but my best guess is if it was a 2009 with only 125 miles on it maybe the cam chain tensioner is gummed up from sitting so long without use. If so I'd be tempted to remove it, inspect it, and if it looks ok then give it a good cleaning and see what happens.

Just a thought,

Jon...