Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #7216
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
On my 690 I've got the Faast Flex Bars with Vibranator inserts and it does make a big difference. Also I wonder if some of what your experiencing could be from pressure on the bars as well as the vibration? If that is the case raising the bars would help. (Faast bars are aproximately an inch higher than the stock bend.) Someone needs to make some grips from d30! :)
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #7217
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Question that shows my ignorance here...

What enables our bike to start in gear with the clutch in? I'm asking as it's been getting harder and harder to start my bike in gear while pulling in the clutch. A year ago the starter worked fine when the clutch was only pulled in 3/4 of the way... now I have to pull hard enough to compress my grip!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #7218
DurtDevil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
On my 690 I've got the Faast Flex Bars with Vibranator inserts and it does make a big difference. Also I wonder if some of what your experiencing could be from pressure on the bars as well as the vibration? If that is the case raising the bars would help. (Faast bars are aproximately an inch higher than the stock bend.) Someone needs to make some grips from d30! :)
I'll check those bars out too, thanks -t he ones i have now are too low. Not sure about the clutch issue...
Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #7219
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,287
Question

Is the clutch lever freeplay properly adjusted?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #7220
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
The bike did okay in the sand. I'd call it "passable." The poor KLX is just so underpowered. The only way it went anywhere was because of the paddle tire. You had to wind out 1st gear before 2nd was useful, otherwise it'd just bog. We could both get it up into 3rd gear for some 40-mph running on the flatter areas. Mild hills were okay, but anything steel was out of the question. BTW we put a 13T front sprocket on before the trip.

Rob
Does Cory have the 351? I remember riding in soft sand pre-351 and it certainly is a huge difference! I was thinking it might not have helped to have a paddle tire as I doubted it could turn it.

On my recent 10,000 KM trip thru Malaysia, Thailand, Myanamar & Laos I did tons of miles on the beach (of course quite easy on the wet stuff by the water but often lots of soft stuff before you get there!)
With the 351 I wasn't ever thinking power was an issue and would have loved to have tried a paddle tire if available!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #7221
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Is the clutch lever freeplay properly adjusted?
Don't know! But I'll go check right now Thanks!!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #7222
CorNut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Does Cory have the 351? I remember riding in soft sand pre-351 and it certainly is a huge difference! I was thinking it might not have helped to have a paddle tire as I doubted it could turn it.

On my recent 10,000 KM trip thru Malaysia, Thailand, Myanamar & Laos I did tons of miles on the beach (of course quite easy on the wet stuff by the water but often lots of soft stuff before you get there!)
With the 351 I wasn't ever thinking power was an issue and would have loved to have tried a paddle tire if available!
No 351 yet, i just instakked the 13t before we took it out and i just got my jet kit (uninstalled) and need to get a pipe but 351 is surely high on the list

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #7223
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

You'll love it! For what it's worth I just passed 21,000 km on my 351 and have been meaning to do a "long term" review of it!

In loose/deep sand I found:

Stock KLX sometimes got to the point where it didn't have enough power period to turn the wheel.

My KTM690 has much more than enough. You can easily get stuck because of bad rider skills and that power can then be used to dig a deep hole really fast!

KLX 351 Never had lack of power be an issue in deep sand although I never had a paddle tire on.

Of course any bike that you stop/loose speed on going up a huge dune will get stuck. It's just at that point low hp bikes can get to the point you can't spin the wheel and high hp bikes can burry themselves.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #7224
Prophex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:

What enables our bike to start in gear with the clutch in? I'm asking as it's been getting harder and harder to start my bike in gear while pulling in the clutch. A year ago the starter worked fine when the clutch was only pulled in 3/4 of the way... now I have to pull hard enough to compress my grip!
Check if you have this lead:

There is a switch in the clutch lever assembly. Only when pushed in, can you start while in gear. (At least on the EU model.) So perhaps the switch is stuck in a certain position ?
Prophex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #7225
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:

Ricky - someone pointed to the clutch switch above, but I'm not sure that's what you're asking. Also check free play as mentioned. I can also see a battery going downhill and not putting out as many volts/amps as before. Also, I've noticed with the new clutch build over last winter on the KLX, and always on the KLR, especially in cooler temps the clutch plates stick together on first start up, so that even with clutch lever in, shifting into gear will make the bike jump a little (it can kill the KLR dead). Starting it in gear on a cold morning means the starter is having to break these sticky clutch plates loose and puts a lot more load on the starter, which can't be good. Which leads to my question. Are you talking about a cold start in gear, or a warm one after the bike's been running? I try to never start a cold bike in gear. The starter doesn't need the extra load.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #7226
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 2,134
I commissioned the KLX "Exxon Valdez" here this morning...

It doesn't look as hideous in person as I thought it would. But it's still not as attractive as stock.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #7227
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,131
Really? I love the look of that tank! I have one on my KLX too. But I'm a huge fan of Kawi green, and my 2010's shrouds had that stupid black on top/green on bottom design... unlike the 2009 that were both green.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #7228
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultaco206 View Post
It doesn't look as hideous in person as I thought it would. But it's still not as attractive as stock.

Trust me, the look grows on you as you roll by gas stations. Somewhere I saw that someone had put a row of led lights along the frame bar beneath the tank - that made it glow like a translucent green orb. I'm planning to do that at some point and couple the lights to a switch labeled "Flux Capacitor".
Old 09-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #7229
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
Trust me, the look grows on you as you roll by gas stations. ...
It's even better when you can actually make it to gas stations when out in the boondocks. I often still wish mine was bigger though; when commuting I still can only do one complete round trip without refueling. I'm not to fond of stopping at the gas station every single day.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #7230
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Hey, I'm new to this thread and too lazy to read the whole thing. I finally convinced my brother to buy a very nicely setup, little used, KLX from a riding buddy of mine(I would have bought it for the super bargain price, basically buy the aftermarket parts and get the low mileage bike for free, but I couldn't do it). Anyway the bike has a 351 kit, plus lots more, and is geared about as low as it can be. It works awesome in the rough stuff, Ive taken it on some NASTY, ROCKY, technical trails, but my brother will be using it for commuting and light DS riding, it's his first bike. I'm wondering what gearing to put on it for him so it will pull 70 mph semi comfortably, and still be able to take on some semi-knarly trails. Right now, with the loss of top end caused by the oversized piston, and the uber low gears, it will barely go 60-65, and it is NOT happy about it. I'm pretty sure it has the torque to pull some pretty tall gears, but don't want to go too tall.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I've put a few hundred miles on the bike, but don't know much about it other than it makes a kick-ass, but a little porky trail bike.

P.S. The bike also has a Mikuni accelerator pump carb, does anybody know anything about that thing? Good/Bad or otherwise? Should I stick with it or put the stock one back on for him?

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "

FloorPoor screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 08:50 PM
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote