User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #7516
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
250+ miles on the studded tires

Things are unreal! They have limitations, I ride more slowly through the turns to stay more upright, just to make certain I remain that way.
When the road is covered in a couple inches of slush they don't do much and the bike gets squirrelly, like you'd expect. But as it squirrels away, it finally digs in and finds traction.
I used about 120 studs in the front and close to 100 in the rear. Super easy install. Only had one bad install, which I could have avoided, was just tired and not paying enough attention.
Grip Studs was great to deal with, BTW. And have many different types to chose from, depending on what/where you ride.
With my EX-500 windshield strapped on, heated foot bed liners(so sweet, only 7 watts I think), and the studded tires I'm feeling good about riding all winter! And I don't have heated gloves or jacket liner yet. Christmas is nigh, hoping I'm getting some of the list.
Here's a pic of a stud next to a knob to show it's height(that's a Dunlop D606 front), also note the installed studs.
lobolator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #7517
ZIGGYND
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
A quick question to any KLX250 owners in Utah, AZ or southern CA:
Would anyone let me try fitting your gas tank onto a KLX140?
The top part of the frame seems very similar. As per Kawi lierature:
"Ready for the off-road abuse, the highly rigid, KX-inspired high-tensile steel perimeter frame uses the same upper tubes as the KLX250S"

There are no aftermarket tanks for the 140. I'm hoping that the larger 250 tank may work with a minimal work to the seat/mounts/not sure.

Jeff
I'm not anywhere near these areas, but I do own both an '09 klx250s and an '09 klx140. I've gotta pull the tank off the 250 this weekend for some carb tweaking and I can see how it fits on the 140. I kinda doubt the 140 shrouds will work with the 250 tank though. If you're interested I'll give it a shot and can throw some pics along with the results up when I'm done.
ZIGGYND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #7518
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 2,134
Suspension Upgrade

Got my bike (2006) back today from its suspension upgrade. Used .44 front springs from Race Tech with 120mm of 7wt oil. Compression settings at 14 clicks out. Rear shock got a new 6.2 spring with compression at 10 clicks out, and rebound at 6 clicks out with 100mm of sag. All of those are baseline settings which I will start from.

It's December in Iowa so a day of off-road riding is out of the question right now, but I did mess around on some trials logs, a small foundation ledge, and other things in my backyard. Seems to be a different bike!

Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #7519
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 800
Quick gas range question for you all; I just got back from Death Valley and I'm hoping to find a way to get some more range out of my bike. I have a 2009 KLX with a 331 and most other mods. It has the IMS 3 gallon tank, plus the 1.1 gallon aluminum tank that goes on the left rear. My range is probably around 175 or so, never actually ran it to dry.

What is the best way to increase range? I would love to not have to strap on a rotopax type mount. For the 2009+ is there a bigger tank than the IMS 3 gallon?

I would feel much better heading way out into the desert if I had a 250+ mile range, as is now I get a bit worried taking off out there.

Thanks.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #7520
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
Quick gas range question for you all; I just got back from Death Valley and I'm hoping to find a way to get some more range out of my bike. I have a 2009 KLX with a 331 and most other mods. It has the IMS 3 gallon tank, plus the 1.1 gallon aluminum tank that goes on the left rear. My range is probably around 175 or so, never actually ran it to dry.

What is the best way to increase range? I would love to not have to strap on a rotopax type mount. For the 2009+ is there a bigger tank than the IMS 3 gallon?

I would feel much better heading way out into the desert if I had a 250+ mile range, as is now I get a bit worried taking off out there.

Thanks.
I believe you have the biggest gas tank you can get for the KLX. I guess you could try and work on improving the gas mileage. I get 51 mpg based on my mods (below). I recently got a Kolpin gas can (1.5 gals.) for extra miles. I've seen many put two of these on their bikes.

Here's how I did mine.
http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...ts-side-39358/
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #7521
Pauls2ndblessing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultaco206 View Post
Got my bike (2006) back today from its suspension upgrade. Used .44 front springs from Race Tech with 120mm of 7wt oil. Compression settings at 14 clicks out. Rear shock got a new 6.2 spring with compression at 10 clicks out, and rebound at 6 clicks out with 100mm of sag. All of those are baseline settings which I will start from.

It's December in Iowa so a day of off-road riding is out of the question right now, but I did mess around on some trials logs, a small foundation ledge, and other things in my backyard. Seems to be a different bike!

You have on beautiful KLX there bud, glad to here the bike is feeling like a new one, I'll be getting some suspension work done sometime in Jan/Feb :) Looking forward to it!

What kind of differences are you noticing? I did read that you haven't had much time but I'm eager to know!

Does anyone know if there is a way to bleed the air on an 09 since it's short "bleeders" up front?
Pauls2ndblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #7522
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Front end dive under braking is gone. Logs are easier because the stinkbug stance is gone...way too much sag with the stock setup. I need a decent day so I can go ride it hard offroad and see what I have.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #7523
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:

Thanks.
The Acerbis 3.7 gallon tank will fit the 2009+, but the fit is not quite as nice as with the 06/07. http://gsnorcal.smugmug.com/gallery/...391696&k=swZcE
Plus that's a hefty price to pay for just 0.7 additional, unless you can find a buyer for the IMS. Acerbis tank does offer some nice radiator protection. I really like mine. I've pulled 200 miles all loaded up on one tank (with a few oz to spare). As mentioned above, maybe work on jetting to fine tune and improve the mileage. Good for you for acquiring one of those Bake 1.1 gal aluminum tanks.

I see guys doing a long Idaho ride using fuel bladders. Strap to the bike or around their neck, and empty it into the bike asap.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #7524
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
The Acerbis 3.7 gallon tank will fit the 2009+, but the fit is not quite as nice as with the 06/07. ...
The pic above is the 3.7 gallon Acerbis tank. I have that exact tank on my '09, but it is not a straight bolt on...some minor details to work out. It is also available in green. It doesn't drain the last 0.5 gallon or so without tipping the bike to the side repeatedly, but at least the gas is there. I've gone about 180 miles without running completely dry...but close.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #7525
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Very cool.....I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobolator View Post
Things are unreal! They have limitations, I ride more slowly through the turns to stay more upright, just to make certain I remain that way.
When the road is covered in a couple inches of slush they don't do much and the bike gets squirrelly, like you'd expect. But as it squirrels away, it finally digs in and finds traction.
I used about 120 studs in the front and close to 100 in the rear. Super easy install. Only had one bad install, which I could have avoided, was just tired and not paying enough attention.
Grip Studs was great to deal with, BTW. And have many different types to chose from, depending on what/where you ride.
With my EX-500 windshield strapped on, heated foot bed liners(so sweet, only 7 watts I think), and the studded tires I'm feeling good about riding all winter! And I don't have heated gloves or jacket liner yet. Christmas is nigh, hoping I'm getting some of the list.
Here's a pic of a stud next to a knob to show it's height(that's a Dunlop D606 front), also note the installed studs.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #7526
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
The pic above is the 3.7 gallon Acerbis tank. I have that exact tank on my '09, but it is not a straight bolt on...some minor details to work out. It is also available in green. It doesn't drain the last 0.5 gallon or so without tipping the bike to the side repeatedly, but at least the gas is there. I've gone about 180 miles without running completely dry...but close.

I had heard that those tanks can be made to work, but it seems like a lot of money and effort to get not much extra gas. From what I've read (may or may not be true) you end up with a realistically usable amount of like 3.5 gallons at best. That's only a half gallon more than my IMS that's already on there.

I wish IMS would make a 4.7 gallon like they do for the WR.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #7527
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIGGYND View Post
I'm not anywhere near these areas, but I do own both an '09 klx250s and an '09 klx140. I've gotta pull the tank off the 250 this weekend for some carb tweaking and I can see how it fits on the 140. I kinda doubt the 140 shrouds will work with the 250 tank though. If you're interested I'll give it a shot and can throw some pics along with the results up when I'm done.
Awesome!
I also doubt the 140 shrouds will work. Maybe the 250 shrouds? With a bit of cutting? A guy could work with that.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures!
Post up pix of all the problems too. There are some clever people here that may have solutions!

Thanks
Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #7528
Dan888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
I put the .44kg MotoPro springs in the front a couple years ago and got rid of that front end dive. It used to feel like I was going to go over the bars when pulling up to a red light.Good info on all the suspension starting points, but what do you weigh?
What's that sticker you have on the front fender??
Dan
Dan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #7529
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan888 View Post
I put the .44kg MotoPro springs in the front a couple years ago and got rid of that front end dive. It used to feel like I was going to go over the bars when pulling up to a red light.Good info on all the suspension starting points, but what do you weigh?
What's that sticker you have on the front fender??
Dan
I'm 220 lbs in riding gear. I ride this thing like I do my racebike and I've got a similar setup in that. The high-speed hits on this KLX were brutal.

That sticker?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #7530
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
I'm 220 lbs in riding gear. I ride this thing like I do my racebike and I've got a similar setup in that. The high-speed hits on this KLX were brutal.

That sticker?
If you haven't valved it...consider. I did the spring first. Then RaceTech gold valves. mmmmm
Nice improvement. 200 lbs dry. Acerbis tank. 0.46 fork springs. 6.0 shock spring.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote