Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #7591
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
I must be doing something wrong. I turn the gas on, pull out the choke, turn the key and it starts. Maybe living at 7700 feet helps. Dunno.
Wow, I find usually I have to hit the starter button after turning the key, but otherwise, it's as easy as you describe...

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #7592
Shwafish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
Wow, I find usually I have to hit the starter button after turning the key, but otherwise, it's as easy as you describe...
I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe we missed an upgrade.
Shwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #7593
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamtnman View Post
And then there's the trick of SLOWLY pulling the choke out while cranking the engine. Works pretty good for me.
There has been a lot of conversation of late about this. I do not know how "wide spread" this issue is but if you google "KLX Cold start" I'm sure you will find many possible solutions.

I have a pretty good connection with my local dealer and when MY KLX wouldn't start I started asking the same questions.

Kawasaki knows that SOME of the KLX's don't start when it's cold out. Since they can not sanction modifying the carb's due to Emission standards, their "Fix" is to modify the Exhaust Cam Compression release tab. Some have specified a given amount (.020" iirc), but the information I was given seems a little more precise. They told my buddy at the dealer to shave enough off to get to a compression rate of 95psi (135psi cold). Now, I am no mechanic, so I have no idea if this is a big project or not. I Do know that it seemed a LOT easier to modify the started jet!

The Starter jet is not removable so it must be drilled. Get a #77 dill bit and open the the hole in the starter jet being very careful to get all the metal shavings out of the carb before you buttoning it back up. The process took about about an hour from start to finish with a competent mechanic - not me.

It is well documented by others (EmmBeeDee has a good one iirc). Here in Maine it has been well below freezing in the past week or so and my KLX has started every time I have asked it to. Give it the "Choke", turn the key to on, hit the magic button, let it warm up a bit, take the choke off and ride it.

ymmv

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #7594
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
I suppose I should have added "and it starts upon hitting the starter button." But then I did think this group was smart enough to figure that out! Perhaps I erred in that assumption....
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #7595
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,223
Eh? Assume

Reasonable assumption on your part but with this crowd ....

You know about assume don't you; it makes an ass out of you and me. An oldey that you may have heard before.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #7596
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Reasonable assumption on your part but with this crowd ....

You know about assume don't you; it makes an ass out of you and me. An oldey that you may have heard before.
Pretty much once a week in my 25 years in the Army.... [OK, OK, I lied, 24 years, 9 months and 24 days....]
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #7597
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,223

but who's counting
Old 01-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #7598
Shwafish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
I suppose I should have added "and it starts upon hitting the starter button." But then I did think this group was smart enough to figure that out! Perhaps I erred in that assumption....
We got plenty of smarts, they're are all just followed by an ass
Shwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #7599
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
There has been a lot of conversation of late about this. I do not know how "wide spread" this issue is but if you google "KLX Cold start" I'm sure you will find many possible solutions.

I have a pretty good connection with my local dealer and when MY KLX wouldn't start I started asking the same questions.

Kawasaki knows that SOME of the KLX's don't start when it's cold out. Since they can not sanction modifying the carb's due to Emission standards, their "Fix" is to modify the Exhaust Cam Compression release tab. Some have specified a given amount (.020" iirc), but the information I was given seems a little more precise. They told my buddy at the dealer to shave enough off to get to a compression rate of 95psi (135psi cold). Now, I am no mechanic, so I have no idea if this is a big project or not. I Do know that it seemed a LOT easier to modify the started jet!

The Starter jet is not removable so it must be drilled. Get a #77 dill bit and open the the hole in the starter jet being very careful to get all the metal shavings out of the carb before you buttoning it back up. The process took about about an hour from start to finish with a competent mechanic - not me.

It is well documented by others (EmmBeeDee has a good one iirc). Here in Maine it has been well below freezing in the past week or so and my KLX has started every time I have asked it to. Give it the "Choke", turn the key to on, hit the magic button, let it warm up a bit, take the choke off and ride it.

ymmv
Switching to a pumper carb solves this problem and creates a few others of the single wheeled vareity...
Old 02-01-2013, 02:55 AM   #7600
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Switching to a pumper carb solves this problem and creates a few others of the single wheeled variety...
Understood. I have a pumper carb on my DR, and love it. The KLX is my "guest-bike". Plans are to keep the KLX as close to stock as reasonable (read as CHEAP) while still providing good function. Drilling the starter jet was easy enough and comparatively cheap.

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #7601
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 428
Hello all, just picked up one of these machines in a trade. It's a '06 with 6k+ on the odo. Neat little bike. PO tore it a new but plug along with the other free mods.
Have a couple of questions:
Will another silencer (DG), being more free flowing, add any measureable grunt?
I am thinking of touring with it so need a bigger fuel cell. Acerbis 3.7 gallon is what I am thinking of. Any fitment issues?
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can lend.

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #7602
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulano View Post
Hello all, just picked up one of these machines in a trade. It's a '06 with 6k+ on the odo. Neat little bike. PO tore it a new but plug along with the other free mods.
I am thinking of touring with it so need a bigger fuel cell. Acerbis 3.7 gallon is what I am thinking of. Any fitment issues?
Answers in the order asked.
Yes, noticeable gain should be had, but probably need to jet for it.
Acerbis 3.7 will be a direct fit.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #7603
Edwards
Gravel Eddie

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulano View Post
The Acerbis 3.7 tank interferes with the choke plunger a bit. It is doable, but tight. It has been documented here on one of the threads.
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #7604
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards View Post
The Acerbis 3.7 tank interferes with the choke plunger a bit. It is doable, but tight. It has been documented here on one of the threads.
Oh yeah, I forgot that affects the 06/07 too. Really extremely simple modification - I chose just grind/file off part of the knob and to make it clear. There are other ways as well; all are pretty well documented as noted.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #7605
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
I did nothing on the choke and found it was just harder to get at than with the stock tank.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote