Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #8131
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
Part of it could be my helmet as well. HJC is fairly loud. ...
CL-X6 by chance? That's what I'm wearing now, to replace an older Thor-branded HJC. Wind noise in the new CL-X6 is much more than the old helmet. However, I've found that the vast majority of that wind noise comes from the top vent; plugging this vent (with a finger to prove the point, or a piece of tape to actually ride with) makes the helmet much, much quieter.

I'm one of the earplugs every ride gang, more so because of wind noise on the highway, and because of intake/exhaust noise on the trail. I work in industry, so I'm well trained in the chronic effects of noise on hearing. Hearing...you'll never miss it until it's gone. And you'll never get it back once it is.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #8132
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,463
I know an offroad helmet will be noisy, but I figured my road equipment would be better. CL-16 maybe? Integral sun visor.

Either way I wouldn't expect the KLX to bark so much louder than a 1200 bandit with work done (pipe, jets, timing adv, soon head work )

I think regardless ill be operating with earplugs more often, but it was aggravated by the Q4. If anyone plans on commuting 60+ mph for any distance I would look for other options or get good plugs / a good quiet helmet. Especially of you have geared down - I run factory gearing for commuting duties. 6500rpm ~ 65 mph

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #8133
FIDOLLAZ
Dirty D

Oddometer: 742
everyone who has heard my 250cc klx with the powerbomb header & Q4 has said they think its quiet.
I hate loud exhausts & if this were loud it would be listed for sale.
its def louder than stocker....but quieter than my stock 4 stroke ktms & husqvarna....so the noise is relative.

ANY KLXers ny/nj/pa/ct want to hear it im always looking for an excuse to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
I wear ear plugs everytime I get on my road bike. But when I take the KLX out for trail riding I prefer not to wear them. I have the Q4 and don't think its unreasonable for sound, but I don't do much blasting down the highway at 60 mph either.
FIDOLLAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #8134
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller... Bueller...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
Does anyone know if the rear fender from a 2006 will bolt onto the 2009?

I would like to install the Acerbis rear tail light to get all that junk out from underneath the fender.

To get a setup like this.

*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #8135
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Yeah I put one of those on it, because without it, it was waaaay too loud. It's defintely better, and better than the stock potato, but it just sounds lame. I may end up with that FMF Q4 setup at some point. I dunno.

Rob
Well, can't help you there. I don't really care what my bike sounds like; as long as it's relatively quiet and works well, I'm happy. I don't know what the FMF on the KLX sounds like, but I do have them on my KTM, and although they do sound good, quiet they are not.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #8136
FIDOLLAZ
Dirty D

OK so when & where is the klx250 rally or cross country adventure?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #8137
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIDOLLAZ View Post
OK so when & where is the klx250 rally or cross country adventure?
Mine is this weekend. Doing a two-nighter on the mighty KLX250 into the Idaho hinterlands.

At a recent ADV gathering I attended there were a good handful of them, and all green!
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #8138
James Parus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I made the marcelino cam mod today for the intake cam only. It clearly changes the engine behavior and intake sound. it pulls better, hard to explain, but it feels more like a dirtbike.

more fun to ride, no doubt.

EDIT: rode some dirt roads... This thing hauls now. it goes very well. I also did some more low speed techical terrain and noticed the engine tendency to stumble has been eliminated. it stays running with less throttle and clutch slipping.

James Parus screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 07:05 AM
James Parus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #8139
StandingRoomOnly
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parus View Post
I made the marcelino cam mod today for the intake cam only. It clearly changes the engine behavior and intake sound. it pulls better, hard to explain, but it feels more like a dirtbike.

more fun to ride, no doubt.

EDIT: rode some dirt roads... This thing hauls now. it goes very well. I also did some more low speed techical terrain and noticed the engine tendency to stumble has been eliminated. it stays running with less throttle and clutch slipping.
In what ways did it change the intake sound? Any air box mods?
StandingRoomOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #8140
James Parus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
intake mods: KDX snorkel. Nothing else.

Can't really describe how it has changed. it is just little different sounding. Maybe little more dirtbike style sound.
James Parus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #8141
DurtDevil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Advice changing spark plug on '07

Early step on diagnosing the misfiring on my bike at higher RPMs, was suggested to check spark plug color. I picked up a new one already, just assuming the existing one needs replacing. But i can't get at the plug in my bike with the extension bits I have, an extension part from the socket, a twisting angle adjuster, and the long socket itself... Tank in the way to get any downward pressure on plug (Clarke 2.8). Haven't taken a tank off before. First time for everything I guess... Is there a trick to swapping out plug or is pulling the tank the easiest way? If so, steps listed out anywhere on how to remove tank? Still the NOOB 4 years in...
Old 07-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #8142
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtDevil View Post
Early step on diagnosing the misfiring on my bike at higher RPMs, was suggested to check spark plug color. I picked up a new one already, just assuming the existing one needs replacing. But i can't get at the plug in my bike with the extension bits I have, an extension part from the socket, a twisting angle adjuster, and the long socket itself... Tank in the way to get any downward pressure on plug (Clarke 2.8). Haven't taken a tank off before. First time for everything I guess... Is there a trick to swapping out plug or is pulling the tank the easiest way? If so, steps listed out anywhere on how to remove tank? Still the NOOB 4 years in...
Pulling the tank is not hard. Remove the side panels and the seat. Remove the one bolt holding the tank down under the seat. Remove the bolt on each side of the tank that you should be able to see through one of the holes in the tank side. Be sure the petcock is turned off. Disconnect fuel line from tank to carburetor. Lift tank off bike.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #8143
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,208
The spark plug is pretty easy to change with the tank on, even with the big Acerbis tank like I've got, if you use the OEM tool kit. If you don't have the OEM tools, then yeah, pull the tank. It's not hard.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #8144
Prophex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller... Bueller...

DRC Edge tail light kit. (You'll have to buy new single-bolt blinkers aswell.)
Prophex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #8145
FIDOLLAZ
Dirty D

Anyone local to nj have the seat concepts or any wide seat i can sit on????
: