Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2005, 04:31 PM   #76
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
Can you find out if there is a Kawasaki part # for that big bore kit?
I tried the local dealer, they are taking summer holidays, prolly be back next week, so I rang another dealer in a bigger city and they say its not an official Kawasaki kit, that its just a KLX 300 barrell, rings and the other bits needed to make up a big bore kit made up by the dealers as an added incentive to purchase the KLX 250 (as if its needed).

Sorry to get your hopes up
MaverickAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:39 PM   #77
klx400kev
Faster in the dirt

Oddometer: 87
That KLX250S is a nice looking bike. The only thing that seems strange to me about this bike is the right footpeg mount. (weird)
Old 12-31-2005, 12:32 AM   #78
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,904
The KLX250 has been sold here in Japan for years. Looks like the main difference with the KLX250S is the meter package. The J-spec one gets a digital guage.
http://www.kawasaki-motors.com/model/klx250/feature.jsp

If the KLX does well maybe Suzuki will release its Djebel 250xc stateside. 4.5 gallon gas tank and rally headlight

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:57 PM   #79
compman21234
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
If the KLX does well maybe Suzuki will release its Djebel 250xc stateside. 4.5 gallon gas tank and rally headlight

I want one....now. Right now.
2006 KLX250
compman21234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:12 PM   #80
alternateimpact
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
hey its me again!

I have had my KLX for about 2 weeks now, and I absolutly love it! The parts for it are a little scarce right now but should soon change. I got renthal handle bars Acerbis hand guards, aftermarket skid plate and rad guard. Still waiting for the parts to come in, so I have been taking it pretty easy offroad until then. I also gotta get the suspension set up for my height and weight, as I am sure it doesnt come set up for a 5'11 200 pound guy!

Have you got a clear picture of the fuel range on yours yet? I got about 110 kms on reserve....thats what it was switched to whwn I bought it. I like to know what the approximitly what the range is for the main and reserve tanks. someone told me they get about 4 hours per tank offroad, but no idea what that would be in Km's.

If you dont mind I will post up some pics of my bike on here to

I am seeing green!

alternateimpact screwed with this post 01-01-2006 at 09:03 PM
alternateimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:12 PM   #81
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,243
you klx250 folk shouild try to talk Clarke into making a larger tank, group buy , that seems to be the biggest problem with the bike,

if kawasaki had a brain they would do it, then offer it as a option, it just shows how bike mfr ( most all others are guilty too) really have no idea how there products are used. amazing they can stay in business at all.

looks like a great bike.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #82
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
I'm getting about 90 miles before reserve on mine.

I'm going to go ahead and order either the Acerbis or Clarke tank for the KLX300 and see if I can make it fit. Another gallon of gas is all this bike needs right now. A Staintune and some carb work are coming in the Spring.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:41 AM   #83
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Got a KLX 250 for the wife 0n 12/01/05

Hey all, just thought I'd chime in here. We bought a KLX 250 also, for my wife to ride. I ride a KTM LC4 and she wanted to be able to go along too. I am having to set it up for her height (5' 2") by using Kouba links and running the forks up into the trees about .6" and that gets her pretty close. Today I will be pulling the cover off of the seat in order to remove about an inch from the foam before re-applying the cover, which should be the final step in the quest for proper seat height for her. We only have about 200 miles on it so far, but it seems perfect for her power wise. I personally dont see how anyone with any experience on a motorcycle could be satisfied with the power output of this bike, its pretty anemic. But I'm not riding it, and she loves it so I guess thats definately what matters the most. We'll be glad when FMF builds a pipe for it so we can uncork this terribly restricted little bike. I think it has alot of potential for increased power gains. Until then, we will just ride the heck out of it.

Randy.
Attached Images

Nobiman screwed with this post 01-03-2006 at 06:47 AM
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:41 AM   #84
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
you klx250 folk shouild try to talk Clarke into making a larger tank, group buy , that seems to be the biggest problem with the bike,

if kawasaki had a brain they would do it, then offer it as a option, it just shows how bike mfr ( most all others are guilty too) really have no idea how there products are used. amazing they can stay in business at all.

looks like a great bike.
I could never figure out why Kawasaki didn't offer a bigger tank either, it's a nice bike otherwise. When these 250 DPs were popular in the '90s here in Japan, Yamaha had the 4.2 gallon TTR250 Raid, Suzuki still has the 4.5 gallon Djebel, and Honda had the 3.7 gallon XR250 Baja. A couple months back I bought the Honda

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:04 AM   #85
compman21234
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
running the forks up into the trees about .6" and that gets her pretty close.
glad when FMF builds a pipe for it so we can uncork this terribly restricted little bike.
Randy.
There is supposed to be an FMF already that fits -- also, a full system Big Gun EVO X with spark arrestor, and quiet (92-94 db) insert with it.
Four Stroke Works has a larger header pipe, that users say gives them power gains even with the stock muffler.

Post here just how far up you were actually able to get those forks -- 6" is maybe not do-able. Mine are up 1-3/4 inches, along with the Kouba "X1" lowering links, giving a seat lowering of a little over 2 inches. I might cut my seat down, too, for more lowering.
Those forks will probably need shimming (like my bike did), since there is a full 2mm difference in diameter, of the top (where the clamps are now) and the fork tube down where you want to put the top clamps -- I was thinking the clamps look like cast aluminum, and with that much bending, might crack in half when tightened up enough to cinch down 2mm more.
2006 KLX250

compman21234 screwed with this post 01-03-2006 at 10:12 AM
compman21234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #86
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,243
that honda ascot 250 ( or 225?) is pretty cool too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
I could never figure out why Kawasaki didn't offer a bigger tank either, it's a nice bike otherwise. When these 250 DPs were popular in the '90s here in Japan, Yamaha had the 4.2 gallon TTR250 Raid, Suzuki still has the 4.5 gallon Djebel, and Honda had the 3.7 gallon XR250 Baja. A couple months back I bought the Honda

Old 01-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #87
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by compman21234
Post here just how far up you were actually able to get those forks -- 6" is maybe not do-able.
His post says 0.6" not 6"
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #88
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
His post says 0.6" not 6"
Yeah - I just gotta see the bike that had the forks run up the clamps six inches.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #89
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
We'll be glad when FMF builds a pipe for it so we can uncork this terribly restricted little bike....
A lot of today's factory dirt & dualsport bikes are lean & restricted on the intake end. Like I ran my DRZ with the 3x3 airbox mod, jet kit, but stock pipes. If the intake is restricted and the carb is lean to begin with, that limits what can be accomplished with the exhaust.

What do 250S riders do with the intake end of things?
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #90
BigPines
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
MY New KLX250S

Hello All:
Just had to let everyone know I got mine yesterday!
What a great way to start the new year.
20 miles so far and absolutley love it.
BigPines is offline   Reply With Quote