Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #121
alternateimpact
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Well I just had my first problem with my almost brand new KLX250S, although it probably wouldnt be a surprise to any avid offroaders on here. The handle bar snapped off right at the bend just beyond the headlight switch. The stock bars are paper thin, and should be the first things scrapped when you buy one......of course along with getting bush guards, rad guards, and skid plate. Luckly I ordered all of the above when I bought the bike so I am just waiting for them to arrive. Luckly I had a couple of buddys with me to help me get it up the rest of the way up a steep rocky trail. I rode home with the clutch lever in my hand, and the signal/headlight switch twist tied to the remaining handle bar. (its good to have friends in the bush!)

Luckly my buddy also had a brand new Renthal bar to let me borrow to get it to the shop for the new bar, which I already paid for.

I can post a picture when I figure out how to.

BTW....other than the busted handle bar, damage to the new bike.....0 :)

I am seeing green!
alternateimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:47 AM   #122
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Farkle time!

I'm sorry I've been slow to post follow ups on my impressions of the bike, been too busy enjoying it

I am in the process of ordering the next round of farkles aimed at addressing the only two minor complaints I have so far: fuel range and low end grunt. Here's what the UPS man will be delivering over the next few weeks:

1) IMS 3.2 gallon tank for the KLX250/KLX300. After weeks of research and talking with riders in Japan and down under, it seems very likely that this tank will fit with only minor mods to the bike. The biggest concern is the fan which may have to be replaced with a smaller unit.

2) Muzzy full exhaust.

3) Dynojet kit for the KLX300.

4) CRD full coverage skid plate.

I promise detailed photos and write ups of each mod as soon as they happen.

Overall I remain very pleased with this bike. If you're looking for a street legal dirt bike, you owe yourself a test ride.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:36 AM   #123
compman21234
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
I am in the process of ordering the next round of farkles aimed at addressing the only two minor complaints I have so far: fuel range and low end grunt.
In addition to all the goodies you listed, I'm also considering a KLX300 cylinder and piston for even more punch -- the Aussies do it to their KLX250R's regularly, they say -- many dealers offer 300cc kits cheap with KLX250R sales. Not only that, but maybe a KLX300 big-bore kit (330-350cc?) might even bolt-on to our lower-ends....now that's really gonna have some low-end grunt.
I hope your stuff works -- then I'll probably go for it too...
2006 KLX250
compman21234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #124
WR_guy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
If the 300 cylinder and piston fit, then the big bore 330 etc kits will bolt on as well. Go all the way.....
WR_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #125
compman21234
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR_guy
If the 300 cylinder and piston fit, then the big bore 330 etc kits will bolt on as well. Go all the way.....
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy......

If anybody has done this yet, please post here.....
I would hate to search up all the parts, spend all the bucks, and then maybe find out that there is some funadamental difference between the KLX300 and 06 KLX250, that nobody is *yet* aware of, that would make this stuff un-compatible/un-usable....that woould burst my bubble....
2006 KLX250
Old 01-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #126
Mr.Grumpy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,439
How close are the other components such as suspention, wheels, brakes, and other bits to the KLX300? How do the frames really compare? Is the 6th gear worth giving up the 150ccs to a DRZ? Has any one priced out one of those big-bore kits? For some reason the 250 is $400 CHEEPER than the 300! Add $500 for a Baja Designs or Trick kit and it's almost a grand cheeper. That's a lot of money....
Mr.Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:12 PM   #127
compman21234
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy
Is the 6th gear worth giving up the 150ccs to a DRZ? ...
Noty sure myself about other parts comparability, yet....
As far as the 400 goes -- stock, the KLX250 6th gear is higher, and the first gear is lower, and the bike is 33 lbs. lighter (but feels like it's even more lighter than that) than the 400S, and it goes fast enough for non-racing riding. These things made it worth selling my 400 and getting the 250 -- and a DR650 for when I feel like "ripping and tearing" around (which seems to be often), or longer road rides.
2006 KLX250
Old 01-13-2006, 12:18 PM   #128
Mr.Grumpy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by compman21234
Noty sure myself about other parts comparability, yet....
As far as the 400 goes -- stock, the KLX250 6th gear is higher, and the first gear is lower, and the bike is 33 lbs. lighter (but feels like it's even more lighter than that) than the 400S, and it goes fast enough for non-racing riding. These things made it worth selling my 400 and getting the 250 -- and a DR650 for road cruising.
So you switched from a DRZ then? I ask because the local dealer has a NOS 400r sitting on his floor asking price same same as the 250 and way less thanthe 300. It would still need "stuff" but that's OK. At 262 it's about even with the 400r as far as weight goes. The 300 is 30 pounds lighter than either one but a new one is cost-prohibitive.

Is the frame of the 250 almost the same as the 300 or is it more like the old 250? I might be sold on this litle bike after all.....
Mr.Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #129
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Wander on back to post #48 in this thread. It contains the parts book drawings for both the 250S and 300R frames. Very similar. Suspension components are also very similar with the 250S having slightly different spring rates (according to our Australian brethern) for the additional weight of the DS gear.

KLX or DRZ either way you'll be happy. I went KLX 'cause I couldn't find a used DRZ around me. I love it.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #130
BigPines
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Wicked KLX250s Mods

Hi Guys
Well I got all my little mods completed.
So far I have Rejetted the MJ to a 122.5, drilled the slide with a #32 drill, Removed the air box snorkel, Drilled out the rear deflector plate in the muffler w/ 1/2" drill, and installed a 13 tooth Counter shaft sprocket.
Put some more time on it today and am pleased to say I'm very happy with my bike!!
I too was looking at so many others and comparing to the point of making spread sheets! I have made the right choice for ME!
03 FJR1300
10 Buell Uly
BigPines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #131
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
KLX or DRZ either way you'll be happy. I went KLX 'cause I couldn't find a used DRZ around me. I love it.
Mr. Grumpy is never happy for long.

Whichever he gets, in a little while he will be grumpy again and feel the need to change bikes.

Grumpy, get the KLX, didn't you already have a DRZ?
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:25 PM   #132
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPines
Hi Guys
Well I got all my little mods completed.
So far I have Rejetted the MJ to a 122.5, drilled the slide with a #32 drill, Removed the air box snorkel, Drilled out the rear deflector plate in the muffler w/ 1/2" drill, and installed a 13 tooth Counter shaft sprocket.
Put some more time on it today and am pleased to say I'm very happy with my bike!!
I too was looking at so many others and comparing to the point of making spread sheets! I have made the right choice for ME!
I have Rejetted the MJ to a 122.5,

Holy smokes! a 122.5? Wow, what size is in that puppy stock? I obviously have not had ours apart yet. My KTM came with a 142.5 and it ended up with a 170 MJ (yea its alot bigger bike, I know) and I thought the 142.5 was small.

So Big Pines, Do ya think you got the jetting pretty close with that set up since you opened up both ends? Does it seem to rev more freely now? It should. Let us know when you find out.

Randy.
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:37 PM   #133
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,282
yeah, post your thoughts on the power /mileage upgraded. thanks
Old 01-15-2006, 04:02 PM   #134
BigPines
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Guys
The bikes runs really great! SInce I only have had it for 13 days now and all od 53 mikes on it ( remember I'm in Wisconsin, so that's preety good for the first two weeks of January! ) I have not checked the milage yet but the jetting seems to be good, as I've not noticed any RPM /throttle position thats feels bad and it revs very nicley now. Next time out I'll run it hard and check the plug again. So far the insulator is a nice "tan" color. The stock MJ was 118, so going up two sizes should be good for what iv'e done.
03 FJR1300
10 Buell Uly
BigPines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:23 PM   #135
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Thumb Did a comparo today.

I was at my local Kawi dealer yesterday and got a good look at our new bikes (KLX 250 S) sitting next to a KLX 300 R. I specifically looked at the exhaust and the header "looks" the same but the mid pipe (actually part of the silencer on the stock exhaust) "looks" like it has an extra little kink in where it connects to the header pipe as compared to the 300. Its not much, maybe 10-15 degrees. I'm still digging trying to find out for sure if the 300 stuff fits the 250 or not before I shell out 3 or 4 hundred bucks or more. I'm about ready to start doing the stock mods that have been done already by some of you to the factory stuff just to get the motor some relief until we find some real aftermarket stuff to bling 'em up with. I do have a sharp 1/2" drill bit, and nice new 19.2 Craftsman drill that I've been wanting to try out. That breather snorkle would be a 30 second job to remove. Hey Big Pines, do these puppies take the big round Mikuni jets or the small round? Looks like its time for another order from Sudco for jets and such.

See ya, Randy.
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote