ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2006, 01:33 PM   #16
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Oddometer: 42,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
This should be no problem. Of course the total size can not exceed 10,000 points. First clear the active log in your unit. Rename the original track in Mapsource to "ACTIVE LOG" (yes, all caps). Then, you should be able to load it with a track transfer from Mapsource. You can load multiple tracks to the active log if they are named "ACTIVE LOG" then "ACTIVE LOG 001" and so on. For your unit a filtered log with a name may not exceed 500 points.

Get it??

-dubb

I think so. Larry provided three .gdb files that cover the course in thirds, so I would need to save three "active tracks" each limited to 10K points (each file is less than that). It seems from my prior fiddling that MapSource will only accept one of these tracks at a time, so I assume I'll have to handle each one separately. Any trick in doing a track transfer, or is it just a data transfer of a selected track?

And if I understand the process, I can load the track(s) to the unit's internal memory, and it won't wipe out the maps I have loaded onto the data card. As I understand it, I can only display one of those active tracks at a time on the unit (if so, no big deal).

And by filtered log, you mean a "saved track" right?

Thanks for all your help!

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:59 PM   #17
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Yes, a filtered log of 500 points or less with any eight (maybe more) charater name will go to saved tracks.

You can have more than one Active Log load as long as the total is less than 10,000. As I mentioned, if there are three active logs you want to load at the same time. Put them into a single mapsource file and name them "ACTIVE LOG"; "ACTIVE LOG 001" &"ACTIVE LOG 002" The names must be exactly that and sequencial.

Let me know how it works.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:29 PM   #18
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
Yes, a filtered log of 500 points or less with any eight (maybe more) charater name will go to saved tracks.

You can have more than one Active Log load as long as the total is less than 10,000. As I mentioned, if there are three active logs you want to load at the same time. Put them into a single mapsource file and name them "ACTIVE LOG"; "ACTIVE LOG 001" &"ACTIVE LOG 002" The names must be exactly that and sequencial.

Let me know how it works.
Thanks, I will try it tonight. But it sounds like, if the total points in the active log is limited to 10K, that I will need to filter the three log files (10K, 8.5K and 8K IIRC). I'm pretty sure that reducing it to 35% won't significantly alter the appearance of the track on the unit screen (it will show up on the screen, won't it? If not, then I'm just wasting my time (and yours )).

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
Old 05-31-2006, 04:35 PM   #19
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

For some reason, MapSource will only allow me to open one track file at a time. Each time I have one loaded, and try to open the next one, the first one disappears, both off the screen and off the track tab list.

I've tried saving them as different names, and stitching them together, but nothing seems to work.

Obviously I'm missing something.

I've now tried filtering the tracks down to 3K points each, and save them. But the filtering doesn't alter the file, as when I call it back up, it's still full size. I've also tried saving them as .gpx files, but when I try to open them, MapSource freezes again. Yet when I open other .gpx files, downloaded from various sources, they open just fine and include multiple tracks, both active and saved, and waypoints.

Something strange goin' on around here.

summerinmaine screwed with this post 05-31-2006 at 05:20 PM
Old 07-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #20
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 349
Laying tracks 8 hours with SP III +

Hi Dubb... my Street Pilot III + does not have a save feature for my tracks and also I can't set the track log for time... is there a way to get this GPS to work saving tracks for a whole day work?... I use it to lay down tracks for mapping companies in off road terrain...
Many thanks for your clear explanations
Roberto

Let me know how it works. [/QUOTE]
Thagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:22 PM   #21
bob814u
Gorilla

Oddometer: 8
I knew I came here for a reason!

I thought I knew what my GPS could do until now. I am over joyed to find out that life can be easier even though I will still take my compass and map with me. The batteries in my compass (Silva Ranger) don't die (I hope). The GPS stuff will help in my riding and Geocaching. Thanks alot.
bob814u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #22
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Tracks 2 routes

Another option when handling data files,is to take a track on your PC and use it to create a route.You can minimize the waypoints where you know you will navigate easily,and increase the waypoints in areas where there is many trail intersections,or when you need to leave a small village,plot the waypoints closer together until you have it leading well onto the trail or road.This increases the usable space in your Garmin, by using the routes for navigation and the tracks are fairly empty and have plenty of space for logging newfound trails and roads.Or if you have many places to go,you can fill both tracks and routes with navigable info.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 11-11-2006 at 01:46 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #23
jaedueck
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Strategy with GPSmap 60Cx

Thanks for the explanation. This post has definitely been helpful.

I am trying to do exactly what summerinmaine is working on. I've got some track files from others and I want to use them to navigate my route. We are planning a 5 day ride through baja and I've got a track for each day (~5000 points total). I also want to log our track so I can come back and look at where we went (hopefully including altitude and time data).

Based on this discussion, what I was thinking was that I would split the 5 days up into saved tracks of <500 points each (bit of a pain in the butt but I'll have 24 hrs in the truck - driving from Canada - to do it). I was hoping I could log the entire 5 days to the SD card but I was wondering, would this maintain the altitude and time information? Does the data saved to the SD card behave like the data saved on the internal memory (i.e. does it remove the altitude and time data?)?

Thanks,
Jason
jaedueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:37 AM   #24
MTRREF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Saving tracks to a memory card - 60Cx?

I remember reading a post on saving track to the memory card on the 60Cx (this would save more detail than just saving the track). I finally got around to playing with my unit and I couldn't figure out how to do it. Can someone help?

Jim
R1200RT
MTRREF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:44 AM   #25
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
Go to the track menu - setup - data card setup then click the box that says log track to data card. The only limit to the track log is the size of your memory card.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:25 AM   #26
MTRREF
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars
Go to the track menu - setup - data card setup then click the box that says log track to data card. The only limit to the track log is the size of your memory card.
Thanks for the quick reply, but I'm still lost. Is this a new feature? I may be one update behind.

When I do Menu>Menu>Tracks>Setup there aren't any options related to a data card. The pull down under Record Method is Timeistance:Auto.

Thanks again, Jimn
R1200RT
Old 11-15-2006, 05:21 PM   #27
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
it sounds like you are on the right page.
mine starts with
wrap when full
record method
interval
color
then a button that says data card setup

I tried mine without memory card and I still get the data card setup button.

dont know what to say except you might not have the same GPS as mine. Mine is a gpsmap 60CX.

did you look in the manual? it explains this pretty well.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:13 AM   #28
MTRREF
Gnarly Adventurer

All Fixed!

My confusion was caused by old software on my 60Cx. Once I did the automatic update thing, everything made sense! Thanks for all the help.

Jim
R1200RT
Old 05-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #29
clint999
Banned

Oddometer: 70
What he said (except Streetpilot III, and UK not Toronto and therefore wet but rideable, not cold). SPIII was a cheapie from e-bay as a try-out, and I'm completely hooked.
clint999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #30
Dmotorider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thumb Data Card

I thought I knew everything about my GPS, but some of you obviously spend more time in front of your computer than I do. It's kinda sad, but winter can do that to a guy I guess. Good on-ya for taking the time to type out this info for others though!

Now, back to the point before I forget. I've just upgraded the software on my GPS60CSx and now I can see the "Data Card Setup" button (as well as a nice listing of what's on the card.......cool). I'm just wondering what get's recorded and how I can see it (I don't have a microSD card reader with me)? I see that it's a 'gpx' file with todays date, and assume it records all the same info that the track log does. Can I look at or download the file to my laptop without taking the card out of the GPS?

Cheers from Venezuela

Dmotorider screwed with this post 05-10-2008 at 01:54 PM
Dmotorider is offline   Reply With Quote