ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #31
Dmotorider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Track Times Tip

I use GPS track times to identify where I took pictures, so I always keep all my devices (GPS, cameras, laptop, watch, bike clock, etc...) set to local times when I travel.

One of the annoying things for me about MapSource is that it will change the times of all the tracks depending on what the UTC clock time is (or my laptops time). Obviously, this complicates things when I'm in another time zone by making the timestamp on my photos & videos inconsistent with my tracks.

Keep in mind that my situation is rather unique as I've been on the road for more than 19 months now through the Americas and I've crossed through several time zones (which I've kept a record of, but daylight savings time really makes things confusing) and this just adds to the work load later.

So as a quick solution, recently I've started typing the time of the 1st track point into the name of the track in the 'Track/Properties' window (I save every day's track as a separate file by date). Ex: "2008-04-29 (7:36:14 AM)". That way I always know the correct time to set MapSource to when coordinating my images later.

Dmotorider screwed with this post 05-10-2008 at 01:54 PM
Dmotorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #32
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmotorider
Can I look at or download the file to my laptop without taking the card out of the GPS?

Cheers from Venezuela
Use the USB cable to hook the GPS to the computer. Put the GPS into "USB mass storage Device" mode. It should show up as another removable drive. Copy the .GPX file to your computer.
250senuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #33
Dmotorider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf
Use the USB cable to hook the GPS to the computer. Put the GPS into "USB mass storage Device" mode. It should show up as another removable drive. Copy the .GPX file to your computer.
Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look as soon as I can (don't have the GPS here right now). I don't remember seeing the option to set it to "USB mass storage Device" mode. Can you tell me where that setting is?

Old 05-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #34
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
In the main menu go to "Setup", then "Interface". Select "USB Mass Storage". I'm using the 76CSx so I hope it's the same on your unit since the only difference between them is that mine floats.
250senuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #35
Dmotorider
Adventurer

Thanks 250senuf, that worked like a charm. Don't remember ever seeing that "USB Mass Storage" button before. Think it got added when I did a firmware update a few weeks back.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #36
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,510
Question 2720

Hopefully someone has an easy answer for what I am doing wrong here. I have no problem with making tracks on my mapsource computer software but when I download them to my 2720 I have no way to pull up tracks and navigate them, only "Routes" can be pulled up.

What am I doing wrong here?

TIA
Mike
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #37
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkspear
Hopefully someone has an easy answer for what I am doing wrong here. I have no problem with making tracks on my mapsource computer software but when I download them to my 2720 I have no way to pull up tracks and navigate them, only "Routes" can be pulled up.
You did name your track 'ACTIVE LOG', right? It won't accept anything else. If you did name it something else, the 2720 acts as if it received it, but it won't show up.

Tools, My Data, Track Log

Set Map Display to Auto and you should see your track on the display.

There is only one track in the 2720. If you have track recording on and turn on and off the gps, when you download the track to MapSource, you will get a new track for every power-on sequence. Ex: Turn on gps, drive to dinner, turn off gps and go eat. Come back to car, turn on gps, drive home. You will see two different tracks in MapSource when you download them. They will both be called ACTIVE LOG nnn. nnn being the sequence number - 001 thru whatever.

'Navigating the track' is a bit tricky. There are no track controls for a saved track other than showing it or not showing it. The track is displayed as a single black dashed line. Not easy to see and there is no 'gps smarts' attached to it. Nothing to tell you a turn is coming up or anything like that. Its the equivalent of a line drawn on a paper map.

You may want to turn off track recording when you do this. Otherwise, you will get a dashed black line following you as you move and you could have trouble distinguishing the track ahead (where you want to go) from the track behind (where you've been).

You can do it but the 2720 isn't the greatest tool for this.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #38
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,267
Interesting and informative (for a newby to gps like me) discussion about recording tracks and downloading them to the PC.
I was wondering about doing it in reverse, creating tracks on the pc then uploading them to my 60CSx. Is this a reasonable thing to do? And is there some technique that simplifies this process if it is possible?
I've been fooling around with it, but I'm like a blind man in a supermarket, lots of stuff to grasp at but no idea what it really does. I select tools then stumble about onscreen, some things work and most things I try don't. It's crap software so I'd appreciate any advice or tips.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree and I should be using routes?
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #39
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
Interesting and informative (for a newby to gps like me) discussion about recording tracks and downloading them to the PC.
I was wondering about doing it in reverse, creating tracks on the pc then uploading them to my 60CSx. Is this a reasonable thing to do? And is there some technique that simplifies this process if it is possible?
I've been fooling around with it, but I'm like a blind man in a supermarket, lots of stuff to grasp at but no idea what it really does. I select tools then stumble about onscreen, some things work and most things I try don't. It's crap software so I'd appreciate any advice or tips.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree and I should be using routes?
You certainly can create tracks using the "track draw" tool in Mapsource and then load them to your 60CSx. Make sure they don't have more than 500 points each though. The 60CSx has 20 saved track slots that can take tracks up to 500 points each.
Lots of folks use tracks for everything, but for routing where you know there are roads (and they are shown in your mapping software) I usually use routes.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #40
GodSilla
I did that.

Hi Mike. I tried playing with the track draw tool, I traced a 12 kilometre twisty bit of dirt road, and it musta put 200 plus points/dots in there. For twisty stuff, to stay on track, that's pretty limiting as far as distance goes. I found I could drop points on the track and it used a lot less points per kilometre but just seems to straight-line the track, no good in twisties with lots of sidetracks.
I think part of my problem is that the offroad mapping available doesn't support autorouting. Otherwise I could place points at either end and a few at important turns and be done with it. I'm not sure of how to use tracks more efficiently and stay on-track, so routes may be more appropriate for what I'm playing with.
I have a 200 kilometre ride to do, and I'm thinking I may need to do it as a route to follow, and log it as a track while riding it to get an accurate stay-on-the-trail set of data.
Gotta love this learning curve.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #41
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,672
Quote:
Hi Mike. I tried playing with the track draw tool, I traced a 12 kilometre twisty bit of dirt road, and it musta put 200 plus points/dots in there. For twisty stuff, to stay on track, that's pretty limiting as far as distance goes. I found I could drop points on the track and it used a lot less points per kilometre but just seems to straight-line the track, no good in twisties with lots of sidetracks.
I think part of my problem is that the offroad mapping available doesn't support autorouting. Otherwise I could place points at either end and a few at important turns and be done with it. I'm not sure of how to use tracks more efficiently and stay on-track, so routes may be more appropriate for what I'm playing with.
I have a 200 kilometre ride to do, and I'm thinking I may need to do it as a route to follow, and log it as a track while riding it to get an accurate stay-on-the-trail set of data.
Gotta love this learning curve.
Are you doing what I did at first with the track draw tool - holding the left mouse button down as you trace your path? That was driving me nuts until I asked here and figured it out. You can just move along your intended path and click to drop points as needed to follow the curves accurately. Or is this what you mean by "drop points on the track"?
Just straight line the parts that are straight anyway and add a bunch of points to the curves
Since you said your maps don't support autoroutiing but you talked about "do it as a route to follow" I guess you mean an off-road route (straight lines between points). In that situation I still think it's far better to draw a track to follow. An off road route is gonna be just like a track only with less points and it will give you a general idea of which way to the next point. I'd rather follow a track.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:53 AM   #42
GodSilla
I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
Are you doing what I did at first with the track draw tool - holding the left mouse button down as you trace your path? Yes, that's how I started out. I also tried as you describe in the next couple of sentences, but for following curves in places honeycombed with tracks it's labour-intensive and cumbersome. It turned out to be a primitive try at what I ended up using, which doesn't try to follow the road or trail exactly and uses much fewer points..That was driving me nuts until I asked here and figured it out. You can just move along your intended path and click to drop points as needed to follow the curves accurately. Or is this what you mean by "drop points on the track"? Yes.
Just straight line the parts that are straight anyway and add a bunch of points to the curves
Since you said your maps don't support autoroutiing but you talked about "do it as a route to follow" I guess you mean an off-road route (straight lines between points). In that situation I still think it's far better to draw a track to follow. An off road route is gonna be just like a track only with less points and it will give you a general idea of which way to the next point. I'd rather follow a track. Understood.
I've managed to spend a couple of hours playing around with the knowledge I have digested here. I've made a track for 196km that should be followable on the screen, with roads and trails visible on screen at 800m scale, and saved it on the laptop as well as to the unit, and swapped mapsets on the unit to a one I like better. The help here is invaluable in getting people up to speed, heartfelt thanks.
I was wondering a couple of other things. I read an inmate somewhere stores tracks in a folder called just that, tracks, on his data card. I tried it but the unit just didn't pick it up, and there seems no facility to change directory, so to speak, so does this mean the 60CSx unit reads from the garmin directory only?
And the other thing I'd like to change is the colours used on the actual map, is that possible? I've looked everywhere but can't find an option for it.
And I'm assuming the unit will support me following one displayed track (the one I made) while logging the current track I am riding at the same time? Thanks.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #43
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Quote:
I was wondering a couple of other things. I read an inmate somewhere stores tracks in a folder called just that, tracks, on his data card. I tried it but the unit just didn't pick it up, and there seems no facility to change directory, so to speak, so does this mean the 60CSx unit reads from the garmin directory only?
The 60CSx stores tracks it receives from MapSource in its internal track memory. It has room for 20 stored tracks and the ACTIVE LOG, the current track. There is no concept of a folder here. These track memories are built-in to the unit. The 20 stored tracks can be set to displayed or not, what color, and the like, but not organized otherwise.

When the 60CSx is recording tracks (your breadcrumb trail), it is recorded into the ACTIVE LOG track. If you congifure it, it will also record your track onto the memory card as a .gpx file. This is a one-way process in the gps unit. You cannot see or use this track in any way from the gps unit. You can transfer these gpx tracks into MapSource and edit/store them and then transfer one or more of them back to the gps into one of the 20 stored tracks.

I wonder if your original poster was referring to storing tracks from MapSource? There, of course, you can organize the files and folders on your PC any way you like.

Quote:
And the other thing I'd like to change is the colours used on the actual map, is that possible? I've looked everywhere but can't find an option for it.
Your manual is worth reading.

Hit Menu twice, Setup, Display. You have a bunch of choices in daytime and nighttime color schemes. Pick the one you like best.

Quote:
And I'm assuming the unit will support me following one displayed track (the one I made) while logging the current track I am riding at the same time? Thanks.
Yes.

It can't be repeated often enough. Set your 60CSx to record a detailed gps track log to your memory card. This does not affect your use of tracks otherwise. Most of us find this tool invaluable, especially if you're a 'track guy', or gal.

HTH. Have a great Thanksgiving and be thankful Garmin made us such a cool toy to play with the rest of the year.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #44
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Use the same maps

One other thing that came up recently when making and using tracks. Use the same map in MapSource that you have loaded in your GPS. Roads and trails that are shown on two different map packages won't be displayed in exactly the same place on either map. They will be generally close, but it is unlikely they will be exact. Quite unlikey, actually.

City Nav has pretty good back road coverage in my area, but it doesn't match Topo or Roads & Rec in the fine detail. Keeping a detailed track record with a gpx file (if your gps does that) is a good way to learn which of your maps agrees with the actual roads the best.

FYI.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #45
GodSilla
I did that.

Thanks for the replies Phil.
I did some more searching and found it was CMWody who had a "routes" folder, and the way it read it implied he had it on his unit, but it wasn't specific. No big deal for me, I was just curious is all.
I'd had a play with the colour schemes prior to asking the question about map colours, and all it seemed to do was change colours in other screens, and change the colours of the borders, text, and text-box background colours. It's the actual map display itself I'd like to change. I'm starting to think the actual map colours may be static.
I've also fooled around with my newly-mastered track skills and different maps. The maps all seem to use the same source data, as even at high zoom when I flick betwen the 3 different mapsets I have they all line up exactly the same onscreen. This makes the track highly portable between products (luckily).
I haven't bought CN yet, and the local Aussie product is similar to yours in that it has a pretty good backroad and trail coverage, quite impressive actually. I want it for the autorouting feature, since the offroad maps don't do this, but I've been reading how the 60CSx doesn't exactly comply with what you download, unlike say a 276, and will recalculate your explicit route for you (bummer) so I'm still on the fence for this. The real killer is that I can buy a consumer-grade gps with autorouting street maps, that's hardware and software just ready to turn on and use, with a host of useful features, for considerably less that the cost of CN alone. Garmin pricing is a bit rich IMO, especially when you take into account the useability issues they have with it (to put it mildly).
Anyway, I'm making progress and learning, thanks to folks like yourself, and I've gotta be happy about that. I just need the rain to stop here and my shoulder to heal and I'm right to go, and getting toey to ride too!