Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 05:04 AM   #46
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
More info

[quote=cwc]I am trying to view tracks in GE using a .gpx file.

quote]

I think the .gpx file was just too big. It was about 3.2 mb.

I tried a .9 mb file and it worked fine.

It would be nice to know if the limiting factor was GE or my computer, a
Gateway Core 2 duo E6300 w/ 1 Gb ram.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #47
Swamp Rat
DEO VINDICE

Oddometer: 90
THIS IS JUST FRIGGEN AWSOME!!!!

Sorry let me regain my composure. I am a noob to the wonderful world of GPS, I got a Vista HCx two weeks ago and have been piddling with it and tring to figure out how it works. I am currently running NF East 1:24k as I live in Blairsville and it covers almost the entire area where I go. According to USPS tracking my ram mount and City Navigator should be here in the AM, then the fun will begin.

I had downloaded some tracks from Python and finaly figured how to get them up on MapSource and then yall drop the bomb on me that I can pull it all up on googleEarth(please keep in mind up until this time last year the computer was using Windows98, now I am running Vista on a wide screen laptop). What I need to do is figure out how to mount my laptop to my handlebars with the GPS!!!

When I installed the MapSource software on my machine I was prompted to download an update (which I did) and have not had any problems viewing tracks.
Swamp Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #48
truax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
GPS Data logger

I thought I tell about an easy way to geotag your photos and display them on either Google Earth or Google Maps.

I have a Garmin GPS unit, but for Geotagging I use a GPS logger. A logger is a small unit that simply logs where ever you travel. Mine is the Amod 3080. It is under 2 inches by 3.5 You turn it on and it just starts logging You can set the intervals of the logs-- mine it set to every 5 seconds. The three AAA batteries are said to last 13 hours. At then end of a ride I uses the enclosed software (PC or Mac) to compare the log with my photos and plot and publish the photos online. You'll have to come up with your own webhosting-- but free hosting does exist. The software provided is called Jet Photo Studio. You'll want to upgrade to the pro version. The cost to upgrade is $25.

Here is a test I did this week using my point and shoot camera. My test ride among the corn fields of Illinois is not much to look at-- it does however demonstrate the possibilities. I did double back on my route that is why my rote appears to just stop.

http://ittybittyphoto.com/gptest/

The data logger cost me about $65. It downloads it log file via USB. I use my logger with a Macbook. The laptop I often take with on trips to process photos. I use the free HoudahGPS software to convert the data logger's .log file to .gpx. You can download HoudahGPS from the internet.

Here is where you can find out more about Amod logger.

http://www.semsons.com/amaggpsdalos.html

Sony and others make loggers. Depending on your needs you may chose among several. For me the Amod AGL3080 is the best choice (and the cheapest).

In a few weeks a buddy and I are riding from New Orleans following the Mississippi River to it source in Northern Minnesota. We will be traveling only the back roads. We plan to blog daily (I'm a photographer he's a writer). If there is interest I can post the web address here somewhere.

I hope this was of some help to you.

Now get off you computer and go ride!
truax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 PM   #49
markvfr
too many hobbies...

Oddometer: 118
ok, I'm either an idiot or...

GE doesn't like me. I'm having trouble displaying .gpx tracks in GE. They used to show up fine but now the screen will zoom into the area where the track should be but it doesn't show up. It was like that in an older version about six months ago, and today I updated the version but its doing the same thing. I'm running the free version btw.

Any hints/tips?

Thanks.

M
markvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:07 AM   #50
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvfr
GE doesn't like me. I'm having trouble displaying .gpx tracks in GE. They used to show up fine but now the screen will zoom into the area where the track should be but it doesn't show up. It was like that in an older version about six months ago, and today I updated the version but its doing the same thing. I'm running the free version btw.

Any hints/tips?

Thanks.

M
I don't have it open right now, but I have had the same thing happen. Check the view settings. For some reason they will change unexpectedly. Bunches of little check boxes to select what you want to see/not see.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #51
markvfr
too many hobbies...

Oddometer: 118
Thanks Dave, I look over the settings again. I thought I checked everything correctly but maybe I missed something.
markvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #52
xbhpindia
Indian Rider

Oddometer: 46
Noob Question

I was wondering how to lead gpx files in a Garmin GPS. I coppied the GPX file in the GPX folder of the Nuvi 200 I have. It di dnot help....
xbhpindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #53
klinquist
bergeek

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbhpindia
I was wondering how to lead gpx files in a Garmin GPS. I coppied the GPX file in the GPX folder of the Nuvi 200 I have. It di dnot help....
You have to load it into mapsource then use mapsource to transfer the route into the GPS.

edit: actually, the Nuvi 200 doesn't support routes or tracks I don't think...
klinquist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #54
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbhpindia
"lead" = "Load" Seems like it.

You need one of the GPSMAP units, like the 60 series, 76's, x76/78's to easily use tracks. You can load a track to some of them, like the III's, V's, Quests, StreetPilots, by loading in the location of the active track log.

Don't know if the Nuvi supports that.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #55
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
A few things to add to this thread.

Converting files to and from GPX: Get the latest version of GPS Babel: http://www.gpsbabel.org/ It supports conversion between all sorts of different GPS formats.

I recently found a product called Track n' Share. You can load your GPX file and your pics into it and it will automatically link your pics to your track. It allows you to timeshift the pics and GPS track since most likely the GPS track is in universal time while your pics probably have local time. Then with one mouse click it loads it into Google Earth. More at this link:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386952
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #56
Megathumper
+

Oddometer: 837
.kml file to .gdb file......

Whilst viewing a route or track in Google Maps I get the option to view in GE and if I save that i get .kml file. I have tried using gpsbabel to convert that to a Mapsource format .gdb file.

Gpsbabel gives a message saying that the file is converted, I open it but can see nothing in the file that relates to the GM track/route. Does anybody know what I have missed or am doing wrong??
Megathumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #57
Megathumper
+

Oddometer: 837
GM .kml files to Garmin .gdb/gpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megathumper
Whilst viewing a route or track in Google Maps I get the option to view in GE and if I save that i get .kml file. I have tried using gpsbabel to convert that to a Mapsource format .gdb file.
I have found the answer to my own question, whilst my efforts with gpsbabel were fruitless, by using http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert?convert_output=gpx I got the results I wanted. Same output files from GM.
Megathumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #58
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,385
In my GPX files and viewing. Sometimes the short runs show mpg average between track sections. This is when you click on the active log and show properties. On the longer ones it does not. Any one know the why of this?

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #59
qfinder_trial
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
A (really) quick way to look at GPX's attached to threads

A handy way to visually inspect the GPX files attached to any thread on the forums is to use the 'bookmarklet' from advmaps.com (a side-project of mine).

1 Check out http://www.advmaps.com/
2 Click 'About'
3 Drag the bookmarklet to your bookmarks toolbar

Now, just click the 'View GPS on Advmaps' bookmark whenever you're reading a thread with a GPX attachment to pop open a new window showing the GPS data.
qfinder_trial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #60
rjudge
Texan from near Muskogee

Oddometer: 195
Can't download gpx files from Advrider

Ok, someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I click on an attached gpx file and all I get is a blank web page with "Done" at the bottom. The last I tried to DL gave me a URL of http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...2&d=1211469604. No popup to save or open. Nada. This has been going on with me for months it seems. I've tried right clicking on the link to save the target file but all I get a file called clear.gif.

Frustrated,

Rick