User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #61
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,672
Rick, it's because of the ADVrider server problems. It's been hit or miss for me with the .gpx files.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:27 AM   #62
huggybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjudge
Ok, someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I click on an attached gpx file and all I get is a blank web page with "Done" at the bottom. The last I tried to DL gave me a URL of http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...2&d=1211469604. No popup to save or open. Nada. This has been going on with me for months it seems. I've tried right clicking on the link to save the target file but all I get a file called clear.gif.

Frustrated,

Rick
I get the very same thing

CLEAR
GIF
huggybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #63
Big-O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
using .GPX files

I have just installed Mapsource on my laptop and I'm having trouble viewing or saving .gpx files which are attached to these threads. How do I do this?
Big-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #64
Big-O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Wow

I originally posted the question of not being able to import/copy .gpx files from Advrider and then using Mapsource so I can download hem to my Garmin GPS. What is the short and sweet answer?
Big-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:11 AM   #65
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-O
I originally posted the question of not being able to import/copy .gpx files from Advrider and then using Mapsource so I can download hem to my Garmin GPS. What is the short and sweet answer?
There are issues with file downloads due to the current server load.

Make a donation to ADV and help get new servers quicker!

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:09 AM   #66
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
There are issues with file downloads due to the current server load.

Make a donation to ADV and help get new servers quicker!
+1 on the donation. I made mine several weeks ago.

So, is there still a problem with downloading .gpx files. Cannonshot has tons of good files I'd like to download but don't want to waste my time if we still can't download them.

Is this an issue of it being "hit and miss" based on current server load or is it that it is not at all possible to download a file right now?

Thanks.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #67
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
Is there any way to convert a gpx file to a turn-by-turn text file with street names?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #68
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3power
Is there any way to convert a gpx file to a turn-by-turn text file with street names?
I think the answer is no but not a valid question.

A .gpx file containing what, a route(s), a track(s), waypoints?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #69
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
I think the answer is no but not a valid question.

A .gpx file containing what, a route(s), a track(s), waypoints?

I'm referring to street route. Is there any way to get a turn-by-turn direction list, similar to what you get when you map out a route on Google Maps?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #70
alba
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3power
I'm referring to street route. Is there any way to get a turn-by-turn direction list, similar to what you get when you map out a route on Google Maps?
I'm not sure if this is what you are after but I have been wanting to convert my Google Map routes to a GPS route. I finally managed it using http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

It works pretty damn well. I converted a 1000 mile route and a local twisty route and both came out about 95% correctly. The only issue is sometimes it inserts a couple of waypoints at a turn and the route then has you driving in circles to hit both waypoints. Easy to spot and fix, simply delete one of the waypoints and you are good.
alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #71
thewall67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I'm sure I'm missing something basic here and it is driving me nuts. I created a gpx file. I can view it fine in MapSource. I transfered it via MapSource to my SD card and installed the SD card in my GPS device. On the device (Garmin Vista HCx) I can see the gpx file in Tracks | Setup | Data Card Setup in a folder named garmin/GPX. The file name is userdata.gpx. BUT how do I actually see that track on a map on the device???
KTM 250XC-W
thewall67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #72
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall67
I'm sure I'm missing something basic here and it is driving me nuts. I created a gpx file. I can view it fine in MapSource. I transfered it via MapSource to my SD card and installed the SD card in my GPS device. On the device (Garmin Vista HCx) I can see the gpx file in Tracks | Setup | Data Card Setup in a folder named garmin/GPX. The file name is userdata.gpx. BUT how do I actually see that track on a map on the device???
That's not the way to load stuff to the eTrex series. The only thing on the card is maps and any .gpx files the unit saves if you have "Log track to data card" selected under track setup. You can't view these on the GPS, only download them to your computer. There's no point in loading a raw .gpx file to the card.

Open your file and send the waypoints/tracks/routes to the GPS using the "Send to device" icon. These items are stored in internal memory, not on the card. I *think* the same limits as my 60Cx apply - 20 tracks of up to 500 points each, "follow roads" autoroutes can be 50 points max.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:00 AM   #73
thewall67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
That's not the way to load stuff to the eTrex series. The only thing on the card is maps and any .gpx files the unit saves if you have "Log track to data card" selected under track setup. You can't view these on the GPS, only download them to your computer. There's no point in loading a raw .gpx file to the card.

Open your file and send the waypoints/tracks/routes to the GPS using the "Send to device" icon. These items are stored in internal memory, not on the card. I *think* the same limits as my 60Cx apply - 20 tracks of up to 500 points each, "follow roads" autoroutes can be 50 points max.
Thanks Mike! That did it.
KTM 250XC-W
thewall67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #74
hobbner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
One of my favorite programs is geosetter not only can you veiw the gpx trail but you can geotag the photos you took along the way. It than can create a really really neat google earth file with your trip photos along the way.

http://www.geosetter.de/
Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #75
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Besides GE, I like to use gpsvisualizer.com . It lets you create images, google maps, elevation charts, and has a ton of options for using different map sources. It's pretty awesome, and it's free.
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote