User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #91
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,287
OK I need to revive this thread as I am an idiot.

I have a local ride downloaded as "tracks" (.gpx file) and have it in Mapsource to review. I have loaded it on to my Garmin 60Csx using the "send to device" selection and it is loaded onto my device.

Question is when I go on the local ride how do I view the route (track) I am to follow?

When I have loaded "routes" (.gbd files) before when I am at the start point of the route it just shows up on the unit as a colored line and I follow along. Is this the same way the tracks will appear, just show up at the start point and I simply follow the line?

I have been told that the tracks "lays on top" and will show up but without pre-riding the route, or at least part of it, I am afraid it will not show up and I will be several hours out and not know the direction of the route.

I know it's a dumb-ass problem but this gps thing is new and difficult for me to get the hang of. Any advice, in simple terms, would be appreciated.

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #92
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,580
When you look at the tracks/route using mapsource you can see the difference?

Route - wide semitransparent line (usually purple for me)
Track - thin black line with black dots...

looks similar on the GPS

To confirm - turn on the GPS and use the left/right/up/down control thingys to move around to your track/route to see it... If you cannot see it then maybe the track needs to be set to active .. from distant memory.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #93
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

When I look at the route in Mapsource it appears as it was made, one color (red) for day 1 and blue for day 2.

When I look at a gdb (route) it shows as a "flag to flag" direction (in Mapsource). On the unit it shows up as a colored (my choice ) line.

I want to know "WILL A TRACK LINE JUST APPEAR ON THE 60CSX SCREEN WHEN I AM AT (OR NEAR) THE START POINT?

I can see it in Mapsource but how do I make it appear on the unit when I am at the start point of the route a hundred miles from home?, is the question.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #94
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Trying to upload POI's to Mapsource...

and I confess I'm come to the end of my rope trying to figure this out.

What I am trying to do is take POI's for an upcoming Alaska ride and put them in my mapsource on my desktop.

My GPS is not with me, and I thought I could do some planning and when I get back to BC, just transfer my route with POI's to the GPS.

The data is in an excel file taken from here

http://www.uscampgrounds.info/statemaps.html in the form of .csv files.

Is this possible?

thanks
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #95
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Found a solution...

but there is probably a better way.

I downloaded this mapping program.

http://www.tyre.tk/

And found this program that converts various file types.

http://garmin.gps-data-team.com/poi_manager.php

so I was able to get the POI's on to the Tyre's mapping software, and I think, I should be able to transfer the POI's from Tyres to mapsource on the GPS when I get back.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #96
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Not a Dumb Question (IMHO)

If I load a .gpx file to my GPS that is a TRACK, it is a succession of points.
*How do you follow it?*
When following a ROUTE you get turn by turn directions ("In a quarter of a mile turn right on State Route X and continue 25 miles.")
What happens when you 'follow' a track? Do you get some kind of voice/instruction at every point? (there are a LOT of points!)
Are you just supposed to 'ride along' and when the track deviates from the road you are on, go back 'cause you missed a turn?
(I can imagine that might be how an off-road, cross country track might have to be followed)
Or are you supposed to convert the track to a route? Can you do that *on* the GPS? or must it be done in MS or BC?
Thanks,
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
OK I need to revive this thread as I am an idiot.

I have a local ride downloaded as "tracks" (.gpx file) and have it in Mapsource to review. I have loaded it on to my Garmin 60Csx using the "send to device" selection and it is loaded onto my device.

Question is when I go on the local ride how do I view the route (track) I am to follow?

When I have loaded "routes" (.gbd files) before when I am at the start point of the route it just shows up on the unit as a colored line and I follow along. Is this the same way the tracks will appear, just show up at the start point and I simply follow the line?

I have been told that the tracks "lays on top" and will show up but without pre-riding the route, or at least part of it, I am afraid it will not show up and I will be several hours out and not know the direction of the route.

I know it's a dumb-ass problem but this gps thing is new and difficult for me to get the hang of. Any advice, in simple terms, would be appreciated.
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #97
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
If I load a .gpx file to my GPS that is a TRACK, it is a succession of points.
*How do you follow it?*
When following a ROUTE you get turn by turn directions ("In a quarter of a mile turn right on State Route X and continue 25 miles.")
What happens when you 'follow' a track? Do you get some kind of voice/instruction at every point? (there are a LOT of points!)
Are you just supposed to 'ride along' and when the track deviates from the road you are on, go back 'cause you missed a turn?
(I can imagine that might be how an off-road, cross country track might have to be followed)
Or are you supposed to convert the track to a route? Can you do that *on* the GPS? or must it be done in MS or BC?
Thanks,
-ceej

I know on my 60CSX I only get a colored line, (which ever color you choose) that I follow, If I zoom in closely I can ride almost at the same speed the line moves. Yes, if I miss a turn then a darker line (my actual gps line) shows me going off the colored line so I turn around and retrace to get back on the colored line again. I have no other maps on my unit (topo) so the only thing I get is a line to follow. Not difficult to follow if you can get it zoomed in to your traveling speed.
On a route I do get turn directions as I approach a turn but also a colored line to follow.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #98
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post

1) If I load a .gpx file to my GPS that is a TRACK, it is a succession of points.

2) *How do you follow it?* Do you get some kind of voice/instruction at every point?

3) Are you just supposed to 'ride along' and when the track deviates from the road you are on, go back 'cause you missed a turn? -ceej
1) First what GPS? It should be a colored line if it a GPS with full Track features.

2) No instructions. Just follow the line keeping the big black arrow on the line. Zoom in enough (0.2) to know when you miss a turn.

3) Yes. You can follow tracks with no map but it is far better to have a map that shows all road and trails like Roads & Rec.

As you ride along and come to an intersection, look at the GPS and it should be clear which way (or not) to turn. With no map you may have to back track to the correct road. There are very few areas in the US where cross country riding is legal so it is very easy to follow designated routes.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #99
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If I zoom in closely I can ride almost at the same speed the line moves. .
The line (Track) never moves on the map on a 60/76? Are you talking about the map rotating as you turn when using "Track Up"?

You may want to go to DualSportWest.com click GPS and do all the set up I writen.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #100
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
MotoBoss, Countown,
thanks for the replies. Makes sense. I just wanted to be sure that I was not overlooking something that was obvious to everyone else!
My GPS is a Zumo 660 (I should have mentioned it).
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
1) First what GPS? It should be a colored line if it a GPS with full Track features.

2) No instructions. Just follow the line keeping the big black arrow on the line. Zoom in enough (0.2) to know when you miss a turn.

3) Yes. You can follow tracks with no map but it is far better to have a map that shows all road and trails like Roads & Rec.

As you ride along and come to an intersection, look at the GPS and it should be clear which way (or not) to turn. With no map you may have to back track to the correct road. There are very few areas in the US where cross country riding is legal so it is very easy to follow designated routes.
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #101
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
#1 depends on if your unit handles tracks.
if it does then upload it to unit and it displays all the time like POI.
you just follow it on the map.

if it does not you must covert it to a route.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #102
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
The line (Track) never moves on the map on a 60/76? Are you talking about the map rotating as you turn when using "Track Up"?

You may want to go to DualSportWest.com click GPS and do all the set up I writen.

Ok I should have said "the arrow moves on the line about the same speed as I am riding" when zoomed in. When I get to a turn the indicator arrow comes to the turn at the same time as I arrive to the turn. Pretty hard to miss a turn !

Old 06-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #103
opjocephus
I'm down, I'm down!

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
I have been told that the tracks "lays on top"...
To make sure it is loaded, hit the page button until the Tracks folder comes up. Enter. Arrow down to one of tracks, it will highlight. Enter. Next screen 'show on map' must be checked for it to actually show up on screen. Hope this helps.
"Man, there's nothing worse than watching a mouth breather trying to smoke a cigarette." jdrocks
opjocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #104
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

^^^ got it, thanks............

Old 06-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #105
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ok I should have said "the arrow moves on the line about the same speed as I am riding" when zoomed in.
You do know that the "arrow on the screen" is you (position of GPS).

If it (you) did not move at the same speed you are riding, you have exceeded the speed of light or some other theroy of relativity.