ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - West & PNW
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2005, 02:41 PM   #1
Jean-Luc OP
Throttle committed
 
Jean-Luc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: San Francisco, USA
Oddometer: 2,232
Death Valley

Off-roading is not allowed in DV so all the trails / roads are easy to find in a map. However distances can be huge and I thought that giving some indications of time/difficulty could be helpful.

The tracks from the file below are from our last trip in November 2005. Beware that road conditions can change quickly in DV!

I'm not as organized as R-dubb so my tracks are not saved at the end of each day. So here is the explanation:

05-11-24: There is the arrival to Salines Springs from the day before through the North pass. Then the first part of the loop (departure around 8 AM) we did in day one through Lippincott, Hunter Mountains and then gas in Panamint Springs.

05-11-25: The 2nd part of the Day 1 loop through Darwin Canyon then gas in Lone Pine then Cerro Gordo Pass, return around 5 PM at the Springs

Then there is the begining of Day 2 through Steel Pass ending at Eureka Dunes.

05-11-26: The 2nd part of Day 2 from the Dunes to Scotty's for gas then Furnace then camping somewhere on a side road.

Then there is the begining of Day 3 from the camp spot to Mengel Pass then Ridge Crest and the 395.

05-11-27: This last part in only paved but awesome twisties through Sherman Pass.

To have an idea of the difficulty check the pictures
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Death Valley - Nov05.gpx (183.5 KB, 404 views)
__________________
My ride reports

Jean-Luc screwed with this post 12-09-2005 at 03:25 PM
Jean-Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer
 
R-dubb's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 4,799
Fantastic!!!!



Thanks for sharing

I bet you have more where that came from.
R-dubb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
Popey
Nutter
 
Popey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: SF, CA
Oddometer: 1,704
Just a heads up, but J-L meant Eureka Dunes on 11/5 not Dumont Dunes.
__________________
Ed
'10 KTM 990SMR
'08 KTM 690E
'08 CBR 1000RR (Track)
'02 Mille R (Track)
Popey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
Jean-Luc OP
Throttle committed
 
Jean-Luc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: San Francisco, USA
Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popey
Just a heads up, but J-L meant Eureka Dunes on 11/5 not Dumont Dunes.
Good catch! I edited my post.
__________________
My ride reports
Jean-Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #5
Jean-Luc OP
Throttle committed
 
Jean-Luc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: San Francisco, USA
Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
I bet you have more where that came from.
I do but about DV, I think our last trip covered much everything interesting (read "challenging" ).

However I have that loop from DVDaze '04 that could be interesting when you camp at Furnace Creek. It goes down Lipincott (Going West) and then through Salines and up Steel Path. It's a looooong day though (it says 265 miles on the tracks?): Be prepared and get some gas!

Ride reports here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33371
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33482
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33365

Eh, this time I got better and I erased the part of the track related to the previous day.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Death Valley Loop from Furnace Creek.gpx (64.6 KB, 120 views)
__________________
My ride reports

Jean-Luc screwed with this post 12-12-2005 at 03:55 PM
Jean-Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
PhilSpace
The Gov
 
PhilSpace's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Springfield, VA
Oddometer: 35,213
That was awesome

I just ran your first one through Google Earth and ran it in 3D, it was cool.

Now down to finish doing the moulding in the basement
__________________

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
pudgypaintguy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Near Ann Arbor, MI
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Luc
Off-roading is not allowed in DV so all the trails / roads are easy to find in a map. However distances can be huge and I thought that giving some indications of time/difficulty could be helpful.

The tracks from the file below are from our last trip in November 2005. Beware that road conditions can change quickly in DV!

I'm not as organized as R-dubb so my tracks are not saved at the end of each day. So here is the explanation:

05-11-24: There is the arrival to Salines Springs from the day before through the North pass. Then the first part of the loop (departure around 8 AM) we did in day one through Lippincott, Hunter Mountains and then gas in Panamint Springs.

05-11-25: The 2nd part of the Day 1 loop through Darwin Canyon then gas in Lone Pine then Cerro Gordo Pass, return around 5 PM at the Springs

Then there is the begining of Day 2 through Steel Pass ending at Eureka Dunes.

05-11-26: The 2nd part of Day 2 from the Dunes to Scotty's for gas then Furnace then camping somewhere on a side road.

Then there is the begining of Day 3 from the camp spot to Mengel Pass then Ridge Crest and the 395.

05-11-27: This last part in only paved but awesome twisties through Sherman Pass.

To have an idea of the difficulty check the pictures
That was cool thanks Jean-Luc, you had said that road conditions change quickly in DV...how so and how bad? Thanks, Andy
pudgypaintguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #8
Jean-Luc OP
Throttle committed
 
Jean-Luc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: San Francisco, USA
Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudgypaintguy
That was cool thanks Jean-Luc, you had said that road conditions change quickly in DV...how so and how bad? Thanks, Andy
The changes happen during the violent rains (I know it sounds strange in DV ) that creates bad ruts and wash outs. The main trails are graded once in a while so depending when you go you can have a very smooth trail or smothing with many traps and difficulties. If you take a look at our ride report you'll see a picture of the same spot taken at different times that shows what I mean.
__________________
My ride reports
Jean-Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,232
Howdy All,

As I have not traveled some of the tracks laid down by Jean-Luc, I clicked on his post, saved the GPX file to my computer, tried to open it and got a message telling me that Mapsource id d not support that type of file.

OK, bare with me here, keep in mind that I am a computer idiot, how can I view these tracks on my computer and once I can view them, can I load them into my GPS? Thanks for any help you can give and a great big THANK YOU for this forum.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:23 PM   #10
Jean-Luc OP
Throttle committed
 
Jean-Luc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: San Francisco, USA
Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy All,

As I have not traveled some of the tracks laid down by Jean-Luc, I clicked on his post, saved the GPX file to my computer, tried to open it and got a message telling me that Mapsource id d not support that type of file.

OK, bare with me here, keep in mind that I am a computer idiot, how can I view these tracks on my computer and once I can view them, can I load them into my GPS? Thanks for any help you can give and a great big THANK YOU for this forum.
Howdy Mr. Cob! What is the version of your Mapsource Program? The current one (free upgrade) is 6.9.1. To check your version click on 'Help' then 'About Mapsource'. I supposed your is too old and so you need to go to the Mapsource web site to upgrade it.
__________________
My ride reports
Jean-Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:37 PM   #11
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Luc
Howdy Mr. Cob! What is the version of your Mapsource Program? The current one (free upgrade) is 6.9.1. To check your version click on 'Help' then 'About Mapsource'. I supposed your is too old and so you need to go to the Mapsource web site to upgrade it.

Howdy Jean-Luc,

I kinda figured that might be the case so I have gone and up-dated my Mapsource to 6.9.1 I can now read the files. I will try to up load them to my GPS tomorrow. Thank you and good night.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:35 AM   #12
AceRph
Affluenza Free!
 
AceRph's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Where the stupidest people on earth run things
Oddometer: 24,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
That was awesome

I just ran your first one through Google Earth and ran it in 3D, it was cool.
Interesting that GE doesn't show elevations below sea level.

Regardless, very cool to view the track.
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:53 AM   #13
Jim Bud
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Bud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Oddometer: 3,439
Howdo you do this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
That was awesome

I just ran your first one through Google Earth and ran it in 3D, it was cool.

Now down to finish doing the moulding in the basement
I can run in Mapsource, but I have no idea how to do this in GE

Thanks...
__________________
Jim Bud


"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character......give him power".....Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #14
Jean-Luc OP
Throttle committed
 
Jean-Luc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: San Francisco, USA
Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bud
I can run in Mapsource, but I have no idea how to do this in GE

Thanks...
Hey I know that since at least... yesterday! In GE you do >file > open and then you select gxp in the file type and open the track you've downloaded. Enjoy the fly!
__________________
My ride reports
Jean-Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:18 AM   #15
Jim Bud
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Bud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Oddometer: 3,439
Thanks.....



I cheered too soon...turns out I have a graphics card that is not supported by GE....that explains why when in the past I have tried to do anything with GE...it takes for ever and works poorly....

almost time for a new computer... :(
__________________
Jim Bud


"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character......give him power".....Abraham Lincoln

Jim Bud screwed with this post 12-10-2005 at 10:26 AM
Jim Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014