ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #151
Howard70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
....I'm beginning to think this supposedly private section does not exist.
Hello Mark:

I spend a lot of time in that area and it is a confusing blend of deeded private property, leased state land that is treated like private property, BLM and Forest Service with leased grazing rights that shouldn't be treated like private property, and reservation property. The section where the questionable roads are located is private land. The questionable section of road with the gates and close proximity to the ranching operations can be avoided via a parallel road to the west.

On the map below the blue line represents your track and the green line represents an alternative route. The alternative still crosses private land, but avoids the often closed gates and the ranch buildings. The black line represents the paved road out of San Mateo (I haven't indicated the whole paved section, just the portions close to the routes in question). The actual path of the legal county road is confusing (the county doesn't maintain it), but I think it follows the green line.

I've attached a gpx file that provides a track of the alternative section.

Howard
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Public_Road_NE_San_Mateo_NM.gpx (11.5 KB, 109 views)
Howard70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #152
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,776
Confusing

Hi Howard,

This spot is getting confusing------this all came about because of some bicycle riders observation--and he gave the coordinates of the private spot and it is a few miles south of your new alternate route. And my buddy late this year rode thru using my track with no problem after the bicyclists said it was private--and talked to everybody he saw.

thanks for the help Howard----we'll see how this plays out.

No matter what---If a guy has problems it's no problem to find your way around. Nothing for riders to worry about.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard70
The alternative still crosses private land, but avoids the often closed gates and the ranch buildings.

Howard
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #153
NeedForSpeed
PAK-MEISTER.COM

Oddometer: 1,299
bump
NeedForSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #154
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
For people that have asked for my gps file---I've always sent a word file to help explain things that were on the file.

I copied and pasted it here below for all to look at.

Continental Divide Ride
Info by Mark Sampson— www.bigdogadventures.com

This is an explanation of the routes, waypoints and track logs on the Garmin Mapsource file I have created for navigation of the ride. I use a garmin 276C and this file will load in my GPS with no problem. You may find you GPS won’t hold all the data on this file---that’s not a big deal if you’re a good mapsource user, as you can modify them to suit your GPS.
I road from South to North---however most people want to ride North to South------so my routes on my mapsource file are for North to South navigation.
Routes
There are 6 routes---the first being “01 NS Montana Idaho” which will navigate you thru these 2 states. I combined this first route into 2 states as the Idaho route is very short. These are point to point routes. Each “route waypoint” is just barely beyond a turn so there is no doubt which way to go. Also there usually are many “route” waypoints between turns to keep you on track. There are 210 “route waypoints” in the first route and your GPS may not hold all this—so you need to modify them. Do not confuse “route waypoints” with “waypoints”----they are two different animals. These routes will guide you exactly as I went----I edited them and eliminated any parts where I got lost or off course.
I wouldn’t try to use the Garmin autorouting software to modify my routes into a route that sticks to the roads---as some of the roads on that software are not thru routes and they won’t work. You can have these softwares loaded into your GPS alright---you just won’t be using the auto—routing (stick to the roads) function. You will navigate from one point to the next-----you won’t get lost as there are plenty route points to keep you on track. Actually I know how to get around this to make an autoroute—but it’s tricky—you’ll have to figure that out on your own.

Tracks
The tracks on this file are mine---and follow the story on my website. Study the route and my website for some very good insight to the route. If you like—forget navigating the routes----just follow the tracklog.
Waypoints

Waypoints beginning with “Pass”----are mountain passes. Waypoint “PassUnion” is Union pass and so on and so on.
Waypoints beginning with “F”, “L” or “G”------are Food, Lodging and Gas waypoints. Waypoint “FL Atlantic City” means there is food and Lodging in Atlantic City. This isn’t going to be perfect I’m sure but I tried to compile are info from trip reports I have read and from the cycling book. These waypoints will not be spot on at all----they just mean those services are available in that town.
“Camp” waypoints are campgrounds---there are lots of them on this file.
You will cross the divide 27 times on this ride----waypoint “21 CDivide” just simply means this is the 21st time you are crossing the divide and so on.

This is actually a compilation of all the info about the ride that I could absorb in the last 2 years. It is a result of reading the book “Cycling The Great Divide” book many times and reading a jillion ride reports and noting any important information I thought might be useful. And then I modified all this info after actually riding it myself.

One note: There is a route on my file called “Lava Mountain”---------I made it a separate route------take it if you like as it is the actual route—I found a nice route around it which is really good. The lava mountain route is more difficult than the route I took and if you have a big GS you may not want to tackle it. I didn’t but wished I did as I’ve found out since from a good friend who knows that it would have been very do-able for me.

I also include the optional Fleecer ridge route. This is by far (I’ve heard) the very most difficult terrain you could ride. Very few have attempted it----most have failed. Do not take a big bike into fleecer ridge. The bicyclists that ride thru here claim they have to carry their bicycles--------you have been warned. I know this is like a carrot in front of a horse for some of you---have fun !!!!

Update 12-24-2009
I just got word that about 8 miles of the route in New Mexico may have went private.
A route around this has not been figured out yet. I was given info about where this was and put 2 new waypoints in the gps file---both named “Possible Private”.
This may not be true---and it may ????

The BigDog
Hi BIGDOG...loved your pictures and narrative on the CDR write-up and was about to load your GPX files but somehow my PC won't open or take them. Dunno why. I am contemplating making an assault on your given routes of the CDR via enduro sidecar with my wife this June. I am aware that a few sections are not passable due to my rigs width, but.....we're pretty reslilent guys having done the ultimates. So can you help in getting us the GPX files squared out??

Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #155
Owlseye
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
While I wouldn't presume to answer for BigDog, (or any other GPS guru), one mistake that I made is trying to open gpx files when you don't have something to open them into. I tried various things (before I got a 60csx) to no avail (so I could study the routes) , then when I loaded the Mapsource file onto my PC and then downloaded his file- presto.
Maybe you've already done that, and I'm exposing myself to be a particular kind of dunderhead, but .....
Hope to see you on the trail-- I'm leaving Edmonton in early july.
Owlseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #156
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Hi about to load your GPX files but somehow my PC won't open or take them. Dunno why. I am contemplating making an assault on your given routes of the CDR via enduro sidecar with my wife this June. I am aware that a few sections are not passable due to my rigs width, but.....we're pretty reslilent guys having done the ultimates. So can you help in getting us the GPX files squared out??
I have a file on GPSXchange.com with 20 tracks 500 points each ready to download to 60/76.

Like above said, do you have Mapsource?
Old 03-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #157
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
I have a file on GPSXchange.com with 20 tracks 500 points each ready to download to 60/76.

Like above said, do you have Mapsource?
Hi Countdown...YES, I have Mapsource on another Laptop but do not have it on this ASUS(eePC) yet. I'd rather have it on this mini PC as it's smaller and lighter. I also alerady have the latest City Nav 2010.20 with Mapsource as well but not on this one. I know that coudl have been the problem loading the GPx files from BigDog as I don't yet have Mapsource here. Got the latest CityNav 2010.20 on my Zumo 450. Now how do I get a free Mapsource download to this mini PC? It even does not have a CD/DVD drive. Is your file complete from Mex border to the Canadian border? Thanks for your input...
Old 03-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #158
BAGSTR
BAGSTR

Oddometer: 559
GD Tracks

Thanks BigDog for the Tracks. I will us them in conjunction with the Adventure Cycling Mountain Bike maps this August. The resources here at AdvRider are amazing.
PS At first I had difficulty opening the gpx file in Mapsource. Once I placed the file on my desktop, it could be drug into the open Mapsource page, and boom it was converted to gdb.

BAGSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #159
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
I am aware that a few sections are not passable due to my rigs width,
There are no places on the CDR where your rig will be to wide.

Although there are many places where your rig will have many other problems.

There's a creek crossing where the sidecar will float.

Then there's the impassable when wet roads where a 200lb. 250cc bike can't move till it dries out.

There is one really steep nasty hill that is rutted and washed out----I've owned many a sidecar rig--your rig won't make it up that hill (going South) but probably could be pushed end over end tearing it into pieces going down with gravity giving you a big shove. I'm not kiddin'.

This is the easy way
KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 03-07-2010 at 04:01 PM
Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #160
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:

Then there's the impassable when wet roads where a 200lb. 250cc bike can't move till it dries out.

There is one really steep nasty hill that is rutted and washed out----I've owned many a sidecar rig--your rig won't make it up that hill (going South) but probably could be pushed end over end tearing it into pieces going down with gravity giving you a big shove. I'm not kiddin'.

This is the easy way
Woooo...maybe we can avoid some of these stretches that are too burdensome: slick mud roads(wait them out); detour or backtrack the gully above...I've done some helluva routes with my woman in it... even schlepped a come-along ratchet. Sidecar/bike got tow hooks fore and aft build in. Maybe not but we'll see. Thanks BigDog..appreciate your input.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #161
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,204
Quote:
Hi Countdown...YES, Is your file complete from Mex border to the Canadian border? Thanks for your input...
Yes I looked at several riders Active log and edited out all the wrong turns etc. The 20 tracks is set up for 60/76 but will work fine on a Zumo converting them to 20 routes end on end.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #162
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,163
Mark,
I think you by passed this piece along the old railroad line just before going into Yellowstone\Teton. At the end the tunnel is blocked and you have to go around a narrow path--don't think the side car will make it.

There are also a bunch--maybe 3-4 of these on the old railroad grade.

This I think is where you think the side car might float

I started out to check out the gates over north of Grants last Friday but got turned back by cold windy weather and the threat of rain\snow. Will get them checked out soon--today woke up to 2" or so of the white stuff--will have to wait until a warmer day. Will still get it done.

Sy

Quote:

This is the easy way
AKASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #163
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Good Points

AKASY---you brought up some points I had forgotten. That old railroad grade where they had those metal ramps to go up a over----that was some brutal whoop--tee-doos thru there--------I hate woop--tee--doos
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 03-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #164
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Hi AKSAY and BIGDOG....

Any idea of how wide that cattleguard hump is? The total width of the sidecar n' bike is 68". Ground clearance is 13", so that's plenty. Oh, hell I can easily disconnect the sidecar and drag it over the grate...

I have yet to download your GPx/CDT file as it doesn't seem to be downoadable with this Asus eePC and half asleep Mapsource. I wanted to scour the trail that has these obstructions and see whether I can by-pass some of them without having to backtrack too far due to gas availability.

Slew the Canyonlands at MOAB.....hairy but got through...

Old 03-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #165
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 822
Old Railroad grade with cattle grates

There is an easy dirt bypass for the section with the collapsed tunnel. No problemo.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote