ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #436
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom View Post
I rode an 01 klr650 on the CDT and there were only one or two sections that were tough. This ride was my first real off road type ride but years of riding and reading what to expect helped. It's very doable, the KLR is a bit on the heavy side IMO. The Lava Mtn bypass didsn't show up on my GPSso that area had me sweating a lot but I did it. Get the bicycle club maps as they have tremendous detail. Use the fly over feature on Googl Earth also and you can see exactly what the terrain will be like, what any water crossings are, etc. We rode the trail from central CO S one year, and then N the next year. Rode pavement to get back to the start point.
That sounds like good advice. Do you think the 800gs would be harder or similar or easier on this trail than the klr?
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #437
bttran
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
Maybe we can meet up. I'm attempting this by myself because don't know anyone who adventure rides. What bike are you using and are you riding to the trailhead or trailering your bike?
Im riding with another friend of mines who has a bmw f650gs and I'm riding a klx 250s. We are planning on just riding west to NM.
bttran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:33 AM   #438
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Not very familiar with the 800GS but it's bigger than the KLR I think. Much of the route you could drive a car on, but much of it no way. The steep rough legs are few but they are there. While I hear of some riding the route solo I wouldn't. Plan your daily stops, you gotta get down for gas. And if you break down or get hurt what will you do? We saw maybe 6 bicyclists, and maybe 4 motorcyclists the whole trip. Plan too to be able to spend the night in the mountain, just in case the weather turns to crap on you, injury, etc. Not talking the full blown camp set up, just something to get you thru the nite if you had to.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #439
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom View Post
Not very familiar with the 800GS but it's bigger than the KLR I think. Much of the route you could drive a car on, but much of it no way. The steep rough legs are few but they are there. While I hear of some riding the route solo I wouldn't. Plan your daily stops, you gotta get down for gas. And if you break down or get hurt what will you do? We saw maybe 6 bicyclists, and maybe 4 motorcyclists the whole trip. Plan too to be able to spend the night in the mountain, just in case the weather turns to crap on you, injury, etc. Not talking the full blown camp set up, just something to get you thru the nite if you had to.
I'm riding and camping the whole way. No hotels. It's hard core I know but it's something I really want to attempt.
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #440
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
I'll be doing this ride solo the first two weeks of August. I'm also coming from Texas and plan on hitting the trail in Pie Town, or maybe further south. I did the NM portion solo last year on my 1150GSA and that was just too much bike. This time I'll be on the 800GS. I also plan to camp the whole way. Riding solo is a risk but for me the solitude is worth it. Best of luck!
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #441
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
I hear you guys on the camping. Ain't no better places for solitude than millions of spots on the trail. We carried the bicycle club maps because they show detail of some things you wouldn't know otherwise. You couldn't do the trip using just those maps though. Big Dog's track logs are great, lucky for us all that he shares so willingly. Also, make sure you know where you might find gas, places open in the past may not be now, and they aren't just around the next bend on the trail. Have a great ride and new memories too!
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:49 AM   #442
flea biker
flea biker

Oddometer: 22
Second that!!
I am also doing the Continental Divide Trail on a KLR650 starting in early July. Would like to find a link to a GPS big dog route.
Help! Anybody!
Flea
flea biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 AM   #443
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by flea biker View Post
Second that!!
I am also doing the Continental Divide Trail on a KLR650 starting in early July. Would like to find a link to a GPS big dog route.
Help! Anybody!
Flea
Flea biker---the link is on the previous page of this thread---I just put it there the other day.

If that's a problem or you want it in a .gdb format instead of a .gpx you can always send me an E-mail

I also have always had a "Word" file that explains a lot of things on the gps file----I can't upload that here--you'll have to e-mail for that. Better be quick tho---BigDog is getting off the porch real soon and won't be around for awhile.
BaaaAAAAARRRooooooooooooooooohhhhHHHHHH

BigDog
Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #444
flea biker
flea biker

Oddometer: 22
Thanks Mark for all the great information you have posted.
Great website as well.
Hope you are still here!!!!
Sent email.
Flea
flea biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #445
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

CDR gps file with edited tracks for 60CSX

I edited the original gps file for the CDR and reduced the track points to less than 500. This will let users of the Garmin 60CSX load these in their units.

It's the same tracks--just a little less detailed and would be fine for all users.

BigDog
Attached Files
File Type: gpx BigDogs CD Ride Reduced Track Points 499.gpx (1.03 MB, 118 views)

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 06-03-2011 at 01:40 PM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #446
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
I edited the original gps file for the CDR and reduced the track points to less than 500. This will let users of the Garmin 60CSX load these in their units. It's the same tracks--just a little less detailed and would be fine for all users. BigDog
You should check it, many have 700 points. Take a look at my file. I used your active log and two other people's. I edited out all the wrong turns etc. then cut it into 18 or so 500 point tracks with a few options so it is ready for a 20 track (500 point) download.

Jerry
Old 06-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #447
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
You should check it, many have 700 points. Take a look at my file. I used your active log and two other people's. I edited out all the wrong turns etc. then cut it into 18 or so 500 point tracks with a few options so it is ready for a 20 track (500 point) download.

Jerry
Fixed Jerry --thanks for noticing that---after editing I must have forgot to save it.

BigDog
Old 06-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #448
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Fixed Jerry --thanks for noticing that---after editing I must have forgot to save it. BigDog
Do you have any information on GWT? See my post in West. I have your tracks which are on it in many places.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #449
GP1
Going Places

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e View Post
I'll be doing this ride solo the first two weeks of August. I'm also coming from Texas and plan on hitting the trail in Pie Town, or maybe further south. I did the NM portion solo last year on my 1150GSA and that was just too much bike. This time I'll be on the 800GS. I also plan to camp the whole way. Riding solo is a risk but for me the solitude is worth it. Best of luck!
IM002e -

Doing the CD ride this year on my 1150GSA. What do you mean my "too much bike?" What did you encounter? Anything you care to share would be helpful. Thank you.

-David
GP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #450
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
too much bike

Quote:
IM002e -

Doing the CD ride this year on my 1150GSA. What do you mean my "too much bike?" What did you encounter? Anything you care to share would be helpful. Thank you.

-David
David,

Let me start off by saying there were three things that conspired against me during my assault on the CDR last summer:
(in no particular order)

1) I did not give myself enough time to do the whole thing so I ended up taking it easy, enjoying NM and then hitting the slab for the rest of my trip up to Seattle.

2) I thought I had the .gpx file all sorted out on my garmin zumo but I was wrong, very wrong. And the paper maps I brought were inadequate. This lead to many wrong turns, unexpected dead ends and endless frustrating/cursing. I spent many a late night in the months leading up to my departure trying to get my GPS to do this route, and I thought I had it.

3) Even though I packed relatively light, the 1150GSA is still a TANK. In hindsight I could have ditched even more of the gear that I brought, and that would have helped somewhat. However, the tank-like nature of the GSA remains. I love this bike and it is many things, but "easy to pick up after a dirt nap" is not one of them. And getting it turned around on a narrow trail that has dead ended unexpectedly (see #2 above) can be a real gut buster. Do not attempt this if you have a hernia or hernia repair, sciatica, weak back, bad back, bulging discs, herniated discs, back surgery, bad knees, knee surgery, shoulder problems, elbow problems, or don't enjoy lifting 600lb objects all by yourself... in the middle of nowhere... repeatedly.

That being said, #1 and #2 are not the bike's fault, per se. However, the first two points above relate to #3, which brings me to your question about the GSA being "too much bike". IF I'd had much more time and IF my GPS had been working properly then my beloved German Panzer's portly nature would have been less of an issue. You could probably ride a Harley Road King up the CDR if you had enough time. So... to answer your question: the 1150 GSA is big and heavy and if you happen to hit sand, mud or more technical sections it's a real handful. Not impossible, but challenging. Muscling the bike around in the loose stuff and picking it up several times began to take away from my overall enjoyment of the trail.

For those reasons, this year I have a nicely farkled 800GS, extensive paper maps (two different complete sets actually) and a Garmin 60csx unit which is much more suited to this type of riding than my Zumo. I bid you happy trails, god speed and if you have any other questions feel free to fire away. I hope I wasn't too long winded (bad habit, sorry).
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote