ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #451
GP1
Going Places
 
GP1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere else
Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e View Post
David,

Let me start off by saying there were three things that conspired against me during my assault on the CDR last summer:
(in no particular order)

1) I did not give myself enough time to do the whole thing so I ended up taking it easy, enjoying NM and then hitting the slab for the rest of my trip up to Seattle.

2) I thought I had the .gpx file all sorted out on my garmin zumo but I was wrong, very wrong. And the paper maps I brought were inadequate. This lead to many wrong turns, unexpected dead ends and endless frustrating/cursing. I spent many a late night in the months leading up to my departure trying to get my GPS to do this route, and I thought I had it.

3) Even though I packed relatively light, the 1150GSA is still a TANK. In hindsight I could have ditched even more of the gear that I brought, and that would have helped somewhat. However, the tank-like nature of the GSA remains. I love this bike and it is many things, but "easy to pick up after a dirt nap" is not one of them. And getting it turned around on a narrow trail that has dead ended unexpectedly (see #2 above) can be a real gut buster. Do not attempt this if you have a hernia or hernia repair, sciatica, weak back, bad back, bulging discs, herniated discs, back surgery, bad knees, knee surgery, shoulder problems, elbow problems, or don't enjoy lifting 600lb objects all by yourself... in the middle of nowhere... repeatedly.

That being said, #1 and #2 are not the bike's fault, per se. However, the first two points above relate to #3, which brings me to your question about the GSA being "too much bike". IF I'd had much more time and IF my GPS had been working properly then my beloved German Panzer's portly nature would have been less of an issue. You could probably ride a Harley Road King up the CDR if you had enough time. So... to answer your question: the 1150 GSA is big and heavy and if you happen to hit sand, mud or more technical sections it's a real handful. Not impossible, but challenging. Muscling the bike around in the loose stuff and picking it up several times began to take away from my overall enjoyment of the trail.

For those reasons, this year I have a nicely farkled 800GS, extensive paper maps (two different complete sets actually) and a Garmin 60csx unit which is much more suited to this type of riding than my Zumo. I bid you happy trails, god speed and if you have any other questions feel free to fire away. I hope I wasn't too long winded (bad habit, sorry).
IM002e -

I will be very interested to hear how you like the 800; I've been thinking about one myself. Thank you for all of the information; it is helpful and interesting. Question for you on the Garmin....

I must confess to being an "old school" type when it comes to orienteering. Give me good maps and a compass any day, but I'm not a technophobe either. I have my fair share of gadgets. Thing is, I have ridden with friends with GPS and have found them more trouble than they are worth. Nothing like a map for your big picture.....ok, that's my soap box. Anyway, I'm looking for a gps and actually looking at the 60Csx and the 62st. I don't need one "on-road", just looking for something to tell me where I am, where I've been and how to get where I'm going. I really don't want to put down $700+ for a Zumo and all the bells and whistles; can you tell me a bit more about your 60Csx experience on the 1150? Can you read it ok on the handlebars? Is it effective off road at speed, or do you have to stop to study it? Anything else you care to add would be appreciated.

Also, can you tell me where you got your new "better" maps for the CD ride?

Thank you!

-David
GP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #452
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,085
[QUOTE=GP1;16106954] Thing is, I have ridden with friends with GPS and have found them more trouble than they are worth. Nothing like a map for your big picture.....ok, that's my soap box. Anyway, I'm looking for a gps and actually looking at the 60Csx and the 62st. I don't need one "on-road", just looking for something to tell me where I am, where I've been and how to get where I'm going. [QUOTE]

Depending on what your friends were doing?

If you want to follow a preplanned route (Track) there is NOTHING easier than a GPS with that Track downloaded.

Before GPS, I planned a trip, hilighted it on paper map, had old paper map laminated. Then I had to stop at every other turn, pull out map and look for next two turns.

With GPS, I just ride until I come to an intersection, glance down to see which way to go, turn, and gas it. It is just like a paper map with your trip hilighted, folded to just where you are, and a big "You Are Here" arrow that somehow is always on the map right where you are.

If you are not sure, look at 60 or 76Cx on sale for under $200 plus another $150 for other stuff.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #453
gpracer171
Kodak Courage
 
gpracer171's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Erlangen, Germany
Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1 View Post
IM002e -

I will be very interested to hear how you like the 800; I've been thinking about one myself. Thank you for all of the information; it is helpful and interesting. Question for you on the Garmin....

I must confess to being an "old school" type when it comes to orienteering. Give me good maps and a compass any day, but I'm not a technophobe either. I have my fair share of gadgets. Thing is, I have ridden with friends with GPS and have found them more trouble than they are worth. Nothing like a map for your big picture.....ok, that's my soap box. Anyway, I'm looking for a gps and actually looking at the 60Csx and the 62st. I don't need one "on-road", just looking for something to tell me where I am, where I've been and how to get where I'm going. I really don't want to put down $700+ for a Zumo and all the bells and whistles; can you tell me a bit more about your 60Csx experience on the 1150? Can you read it ok on the handlebars? Is it effective off road at speed, or do you have to stop to study it? Anything else you care to add would be appreciated.

Also, can you tell me where you got your new "better" maps for the CD ride?

Thank you!

-David
I did the CDT on the F800GS and loved it. Never wished for my WR450 sitting back in the garage. Perfect mix of cruising comfort and agility for the trail. i did it with the 60csx and had not issues. I used Bigdog's tracks with some minor changes. Could not have been simpler, no guidance used, just followed the little purple line. If I did not see a purple line, then I missed a turn. Actually, did not even bring a map.

My brother also did it on the F800GS. He is a less experienced rider and had not problem with this bike.

Good luck.
__________________
Mike

2010 BWM F800GS
2007 Yamaha WR450

If you are not moving forward, you are falling behind...

"Harley Davidson - There is not more efficient method of converting fossil fuel to heat and noise without the by-product of power", Unknown
gpracer171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:34 AM   #454
GP1
Going Places
 
GP1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere else
Oddometer: 189
Countdown, GPracer -

I found a reconditioned 60csx online for $180 and change, including shipping. Almost a "freebee" against the cost of a zumo 660, so I signed up. Should have it tomorrow. Look forward to ringing it out a bit out in west Texas and then the CD in July! Thank you both for your comments, and to IM002e!

Wondering....what mounting system did you use? Realize this is a tracks and CD thread, but thought I would try and slip this question in.

Thanks guys!
GP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #455
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 287
David,

The quote below is a spot on description of riding with a GPS.

Quote:
It is just like a paper map with your trip hilighted, folded to just where you are, and a big "You Are Here" arrow that somehow is always on the map right where you are.
I, too, come from a backpacking/mountaineering background, and I love paper maps and a compass. I rode for years, doing many thousands of miles without a GPS. I can honestly say that GPS technology, while far from perfect and not without its annoyances, has greatly increased my enjoyment when it comes to motorbike trips. A GPS unit is not the "be all end all" of navigation. The battery can die. It can route you the wrong way. It can get smashed to pieces. That's why I always carry paper maps as a backup.

As far as the 60csx in particular, I haven't had mine long enough to speak intelligently about the pros and cons. In reading various posts on this website and others, however, the 60csx does seem to be one of the most cost effective dual sport-oriented GPS units out there. I really like my zumo, but as I said earlier, it's not made for CDR-type riding.

Another piece of advice: pack lighter than you think you need. Once you've packed lighter than you need, pack even lighter. Maybe I'm the only one who gets sucked into the "maybe i'll need 6 different crescent wrenches and heck why not since i've got the room" mentality, but try to resist this urge. All that extra weight can be a real son-of-a-beach to lift if/when it's time to get up from a dirt nap. But also remember the most important thing: when it comes to free advice, you get what you pay for.

Again, best of luck.

-Luke
__________________
2004 BMW GS Adventure - sold - the greatest bike i've ever owned
2009 Suzuki DRZ-400S/SM - sold
2009 F800GS - the yella one
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #456
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Wondering....what mounting system did you use?
I use the "buzz bomb" cradle with a ram mount. Check it out here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550178

I'm impressed with this mounting system. Less $$ than the touratech and seems like it will hold much better than the cheapo plastic cradle. And it's handmade by a fellow inmate!
__________________
2004 BMW GS Adventure - sold - the greatest bike i've ever owned
2009 Suzuki DRZ-400S/SM - sold
2009 F800GS - the yella one
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #457
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Also, can you tell me where you got your new "better" maps for the CD ride
I purchased the Adventure Cycling maps found here: http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatdivide.cfm

The Adv. Cycling maps are good but not completely necessary. What I think is even better are the Benchmark maps. I purchased the Benchmark maps for NM, CO, WY, ID and MT, and then traced the route that I have loaded into my 60csx onto the maps. I plan to make photocopies of the pages I need, thereby allowing me to save precious space and weight since I won't be hauling all 5 mapbooks around. And once you've purchased the Benchmark maps you can use them for all sorts of other adventures, whereas the ACA maps are kinda single-purpose.

Hope this helps.

-Luke
__________________
2004 BMW GS Adventure - sold - the greatest bike i've ever owned
2009 Suzuki DRZ-400S/SM - sold
2009 F800GS - the yella one
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:52 AM   #458
GP1
Going Places
 
GP1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere else
Oddometer: 189
Thanks, Luke!

Luke -

Thank you for taking the time to put down your thoughts and share the information!

For my mounting solution, I went with a Ztechnik mounting bracket and the RAM cradle and am going to rig a little tether/locking device for it.

Couldn't agree more on the "pack light" advice! HUGE! A friend at my local dealer always says, "when planning a trip always take twice as much cash and half as much stuff!" I work to follow that maxim. I dumped my fully loaded 12gsa in a sandy arroyo a while back, had to unpack half the bike before I could get it vertical again. Guess I didn't quite get it right that time.

Looking forward to the CD! Thank you for the maps information!

-David
GP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #459
Hakatan
quality > quantity
 
Hakatan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Perusing my Colorado Benchmark...
Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e View Post
I purchased the Adventure Cycling maps found here: http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatdivide.cfm

The Adv. Cycling maps are good but not completely necessary. What I think is even better are the Benchmark maps. I purchased the Benchmark maps for NM, CO, WY, ID and MT, and then traced the route that I have loaded into my 60csx onto the maps. I plan to make photocopies of the pages I need, thereby allowing me to save precious space and weight since I won't be hauling all 5 mapbooks around. And once you've purchased the Benchmark maps you can use them for all sorts of other adventures, whereas the ACA maps are kinda single-purpose.

Hope this helps.

-Luke

Yep, Luke is spot on: Following a track on the 60cx is easy, even at speed -- just a quick glance down at the GPS screen will confirm if you're still on the Great Divide route. There aren't a lot of confusing turns or junctions, especially away from the bigger towns.

The benchmark maps are great for getting the 'big picture' and for previewing the next day's route. If you were to photocopy pages and trace the route using a bright highlighter, this map case from CycoActive would hold the 11x17 pages quite well....

[edit] Simple tether idea for the 60cx -- I loop the carry strap around the mirror stalk before attaching the GPS into the RAM cradle. Using something like a girth hitch (thanks Google, I never knew what it was called).
__________________
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood." -- Daniel Burnham

Hakatan screwed with this post 06-13-2011 at 07:51 AM
Hakatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #460
gpracer171
Kodak Courage
 
gpracer171's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Erlangen, Germany
Oddometer: 360
This is a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1 View Post
Countdown, GPracer -

I found a reconditioned 60csx online for $180 and change, including shipping. Almost a "freebee" against the cost of a zumo 660, so I signed up. Should have it tomorrow. Look forward to ringing it out a bit out in west Texas and then the CD in July! Thank you both for your comments, and to IM002e!

Wondering....what mounting system did you use? Realize this is a tracks and CD thread, but thought I would try and slip this question in.

Thanks guys!
This is the best secret. RAM makes a ball on a bolt (10mm maybe). It works as a direct replacement for the handlebar clamp bolt. This is THE way to go. I have the u-bolt style ball on my WR and this bolt on the F800G. Not only is the bolt ball stronger, the location is much better for the unit. I then us a 3" extension arm and it positions perfect back out to the side of the clamp where i can se the GPS while also seeing the Speed in the dash area.

I also just use the basic RAM holder. It has served me well. It seems a bit loose but has worked flawlessly so I continue to use it. Because I am worried it could fall. I keep the wrist lanyard on the unit and loop it around the mount when I place it on the bike. this way if it were to fall, it cannot go more than 6 inches.
__________________
Mike

2010 BWM F800GS
2007 Yamaha WR450

If you are not moving forward, you are falling behind...

"Harley Davidson - There is not more efficient method of converting fossil fuel to heat and noise without the by-product of power", Unknown
gpracer171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #461
GP1
Going Places
 
GP1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere else
Oddometer: 189
Basemaps for the CD?

Guys-

1) I now have good tracks, but what basemaps do you guys use for your 60Cx or Csx on the Divide? Have not yet gone to Garmin, would really like to avoid spending $150 a pop for their topos, you know? I have tried a few downloads from free sites online, but have yet to find the ticket. Suggestions?

2) What size memory card do you use in you GPSmap 60..?

3) Has anyone used an online tracking site for their trip? So friends and family can log in and track you? Suggestions?

BTW....thank you for all of the mounting suggestions. I got squared away with a Ztechnik pivot bracket attached to my windscreen bracket and a RAM mount for the 60Cx, attached to the Ztechnik bracket. Using a zip tie for "back-up" on the mount. Here's a photo looking through the windscreen at the back of the mount...




Thanks!

-David
GP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #462
moto-treks
Back Home
 
moto-treks's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Spokane Washington
Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1 View Post
Guys-

1) I now have good tracks, but what basemaps do you guys use for your 60Cx or Csx on the Divide? Have not yet gone to Garmin, would really like to avoid spending $150 a pop for their topos, you know? I have tried a few downloads from free sites online, but have yet to find the ticket. Suggestions?
Have you tried the Garmin world routable basemap? There is not much detail but it's a good replacement to the standard basemap and it's free.
__________________
Moto Trek'n to New York via the Trans Labrador Hwy, South America

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #463
GP1
Going Places
 
GP1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere else
Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Have you tried the Garmin world routable basemap? There is not much detail but it's a good replacement to the standard basemap and it's free.
Moto-treks-

This is for a Palm OS and a discontinued product, correct? How is it compatiable with the 60Cx?

-David
GP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #464
moto-treks
Back Home
 
moto-treks's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Spokane Washington
Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1 View Post
Moto-treks-

This is for a Palm OS and a discontinued product, correct? How is it compatiable with the 60Cx?

-David
I've used it on several Garmin GPS units, like the Zumo 550, Oregon 400 and GPSMAP 276c

You can give it a try. You just need to replace the GMAPBMAP.IMG file. Oops, I did a quick search and it doen't look like you have access to this area on a 60Cx The website I saw was a little old so maybe theres a way now.
__________________
Moto Trek'n to New York via the Trans Labrador Hwy, South America

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #465
Staxrider
dirt dauber
 
Staxrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Fourth Chickasaw Bluffs
Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1 View Post
Guys-

1) I now have good tracks, but what basemaps do you guys use for your 60Cx or Csx on the Divide? Have not yet gone to Garmin, would really like to avoid spending $150 a pop for their topos, you know? I have tried a few downloads from free sites online, but have yet to find the ticket. Suggestions?
Old school but Roads and Recreation works great. 28 bucks on ebay.
Staxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014