ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #496
Asatrur
Newbie KLR adv rider
 
Asatrur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 1,183
3 day CO trip

I am planning on a 3 day trip with a buddy leaving from Denver and this route was recommended. We will be on KLRs loaded with camping gear. From Denver would the recommendation be to head South or North? What is a decent daily mileage on the CD?
Thanks,
Asa
__________________
00 KLR650
04 Connie - Sold, but looking again!
I wonder what is over that dirt thingamagig?
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #497
gpracer171
Kodak Courage
 
gpracer171's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Erlangen, Germany
Oddometer: 360
CD Trail for direction

I personally enjoyed Colorado more than the Southern WY portions. I would slab it up to the WY boarder, then take the trail south until you run out of time. I like the portion between Kremmling and Steamboat a lot. I did the CD trail and did about 300 or more miles per day, but this was long days and hard fast riding. We also changed the route south of Buena vista to remove the 50 miles of pavement and this added a lot of time going up and over the pass through St Elmo and down to Buena Vista.Just thought it might give you a gauge to go by. The Colorado from boarder to boarder on the CD could be a great 3 days. Use a bit of the first and last day to slab it back to Denver and the rest of the days on the trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asatrur View Post
I am planning on a 3 day trip with a buddy leaving from Denver and this route was recommended. We will be on KLRs loaded with camping gear. From Denver would the recommendation be to head South or North? What is a decent daily mileage on the CD?
Thanks,
Asa
__________________
Mike

2010 BWM F800GS
2007 Yamaha WR450

If you are not moving forward, you are falling behind...

"Harley Davidson - There is not more efficient method of converting fossil fuel to heat and noise without the by-product of power", Unknown
gpracer171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #498
TJ Willy
ADV, this, I crave.
 
TJ Willy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Wichita Falls, Tx
Oddometer: 345
Just got back from a Jeep trip up the divide (http://www.expedition-awareness.org) - I got through some of Wyoming before my GPS crashed. I had planned to make it through Colorado so I did meet my goals. Let me know if you have any questions...

I do want to let everyone know (in case it has not been posted yet) that between Kremmling and Hwy 134 when you are on county rd CO-6 a portion of the road was demolished a few weeks ago. It is supposed to follow Blacktail Creek north along the RIGHT HAND side of the creek. But according to locals, there was a big fuss about the logging industry using the road and it following too closely with the creek disturbing the habitat. There is a sign (that maybe taken down at some point) that says "LOGGING AHEAD". Just follow that road. It loops wide to the WEST of Blacktail Creek and will take you up to HWY 134.

My maps show it as FR-218 and it dead ends... but it does not. I believe this is the NEW CR CO-6.

The below pic shows the road that is no longer there in the rectangle. The arrow shows where you will need to turn. There is only one way to go here. It is really easy. I was in a Jeep pulling an offroad trailer so I was a little more cautious not knowing if I was going to end up in a place I could not turn around. Fuel was also 'on my mind'.


__________________
Phil
2009 Solo TAT Ride Report
01 F650 Dakar | '99 Triumph Trophy 1200
SmugMug Goodness Coupon Code (GZnn7vYHaHJjg)
TJ Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:19 AM   #499
Pantah
Red Sox Nation
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Willy View Post
Just got back from a Jeep trip up the divide (http://www.expedition-awareness.org) - I got through some of Wyoming before my GPS crashed. I had planned to make it through Colorado so I did meet my goals. Let me know if you have any questions...

I do want to let everyone know (in case it has not been posted yet) that between Kremmling and Hwy 134 when you are on county rd CO-6 a portion of the road was demolished a few weeks ago. It is supposed to follow Blacktail Creek north along the RIGHT HAND side of the creek. But according to locals, there was a big fuss about the logging industry using the road and it following too closely with the creek disturbing the habitat. There is a sign (that maybe taken down at some point) that says "LOGGING AHEAD". Just follow that road. It loops wide to the WEST of Blacktail Creek and will take you up to HWY 134.

My maps show it as FR-218 and it dead ends... but it does not. I believe this is the NEW CR CO-6.

The below pic shows the road that is no longer there in the rectangle. The arrow shows where you will need to turn. There is only one way to go here. It is really easy. I was in a Jeep pulling an offroad trailer so I was a little more cautious not knowing if I was going to end up in a place I could not turn around. Fuel was also 'on my mind'.


That section was closed last September too. The loggers came in and wiped out the road along Blacktail Creek south to Radium. The original access was at Hwy 134. I thought it had something to do with beetles. Anyways, we routed through Kremmling to get to Radium, and then came back out the same way to continue our CDR south.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #500
Adventure Trio
GS'r
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Willy View Post
Just got back from a Jeep trip up the divide (http://www.expedition-awareness.org) - I got through some of Wyoming before my GPS crashed. I had planned to make it through Colorado so I did meet my goals. Let me know if you have any questions...

I do want to let everyone know (in case it has not been posted yet) that between Kremmling and Hwy 134 when you are on county rd CO-6 a portion of the road was demolished a few weeks ago. It is supposed to follow Blacktail Creek north along the RIGHT HAND side of the creek. But according to locals, there was a big fuss about the logging industry using the road and it following too closely with the creek disturbing the habitat. There is a sign (that maybe taken down at some point) that says "LOGGING AHEAD". Just follow that road. It loops wide to the WEST of Blacktail Creek and will take you up to HWY 134.

My maps show it as FR-218 and it dead ends... but it does not. I believe this is the NEW CR CO-6.

The below pic shows the road that is no longer there in the rectangle. The arrow shows where you will need to turn. There is only one way to go here. It is really easy. I was in a Jeep pulling an offroad trailer so I was a little more cautious not knowing if I was going to end up in a place I could not turn around. Fuel was also 'on my mind'.


Thanks for the info! We're leaving for the GDR tomorrow and I will add this to my notes.

-Terry
Adventure Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #501
AirstreamBoy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Oddometer: 47
Very timely.

KnucklesGA and I rode this section a few days ago. Here's a screenshot of the bypass (in Magenta, and Countdown's CDR track in Red).




and a link to a GPX Track with the divert for those who want it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6825265/CH11Divert.GPX
AirstreamBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #502
TJ Willy
ADV, this, I crave.
 
TJ Willy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Wichita Falls, Tx
Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Trio View Post
Thanks for the info! We're leaving for the GDR tomorrow and I will add this to my notes.

-Terry

No problem.... and don't sweat the 'Deep Crossing' listed just after that. There was a mild winter and a dry summer so far. It was very tame.

Good luck on the adventure!
__________________
Phil
2009 Solo TAT Ride Report
01 F650 Dakar | '99 Triumph Trophy 1200
SmugMug Goodness Coupon Code (GZnn7vYHaHJjg)
TJ Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #503
Pago Cruiser
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Pago Cruiser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 285
As this is Big Dogs thread, I'll address this to him...

But as my planning is terrible and I should have left a couple days ago... I'll take an answer from anybody...

In Idaho just north of Ashton,and just north of the railroad tunnel is a 40" wide elevated cattle guard. I'm trying to pin this location down a little better, as our hack rig is almost 60" in width - so I really need ot avoid this, and not have to turn around once I get to it and retrace steps - and burn precious fuel...

Here is a pic of Big Dogs route:
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/y...eGuardinID.jpg

and here is a pic of the cattle guard:
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/y...attleGuard.jpg

I'm thinking that the cattle guard is on the "loop"; so it would appear we could take the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway. Can anyone confirm this?

TIA
__________________
Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...
Pago Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #504
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer
 
NorthernTraveler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: The Big Mitten
Oddometer: 402
Yeah, when I came down in 2009 I stayed on the scenic highway and never ran into the cattle guard.

From the reports I read at the time that section was pretty whooped out so I didn't want to ride it anyway.

When I got to the southern end where it connected back into the highway, I got on the ORV trail and rode northward to the first railway tunnel - which was closed! They had a bypass for the tunnel, but it wouldn't have been the same so I'm not sorry I missed it.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #505
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pago Cruiser View Post
As this is Big Dogs thread, I'll address this to him...

But as my planning is terrible and I should have left a couple days ago... I'll take an answer from anybody...

In Idaho just north of Ashton,and just north of the railroad tunnel is a 40" wide elevated cattle guard. I'm trying to pin this location down a little better, as our hack rig is almost 60" in width - so I really need ot avoid this, and not have to turn around once I get to it and retrace steps - and burn precious fuel...

Here is a pic of Big Dogs route:
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/y...eGuardinID.jpg

and here is a pic of the cattle guard:
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/y...attleGuard.jpg

I'm thinking that the cattle guard is on the "loop"; so it would appear we could take the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway. Can anyone confirm this?

TIA
Map of that segment and some pix in this post:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=145

There are several guard on that stretch.
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #506
CBAT
occasional wanderer
 
CBAT's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 819
I missed that section as that was when I noticed I was missing my counter shaft sprocket nut. I slabbed to the closest dealer for replacement then rejoined the trail to slide between the parks.
__________________
Bruce

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #507
Spartan
It's All Attitude
 
Spartan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Oddometer: 197
Wow, Bigdog's tracks make navigating look easy. Thanks a million!
Any recommended paper maps to go along with the CD tracks?
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #508
Pantah
Red Sox Nation
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
Wow, Bigdog's tracks make navigating look easy. Thanks a million!
Any recommended paper maps to go along with the CD tracks?
AAA paper maps help. Benchmark map books are better, but hard to carry. They come by state.

I studied the route and actually used Cannonshot's tracks as they were more recent. I started with AA maps, then moved to Benchmark. Then I used google maps to trace the route. Then I loaded Cannonshot's tracks to my Gamin Basecamp software and studied it on their Citynavigator electronic maps. If you zoom in enough all the roads are there. After that I loaded it into my 60Csx and made sure it was there. Then I rode the route. I'd studied it so much including all the RR's I felt I rode it before!

I ended up zooming out on my 60Csx and just followed the tracks. If the tracks veared off I made a U and turned off on the road the tracks veered off on. Very simple after a day or so of riding.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #509
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer
 
wbbnm's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Abq NM
Oddometer: 1,832
Countdown has posted an alternate route thru New Mexico in his library on GPSXchange. IMO his modified route is much better than the classic route especially the Chloride Creek segment.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #510
eddyturn
Wannabe
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Hesperus, CO
Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Countdown has posted an alternate route thru New Mexico in his library on GPSXchange. IMO his modified route is much better than the classic route especially the Chloride Creek segment.
You say better but is it easier or more challenging? Just checking.
__________________
All things being equal... fat people use more soap
eddyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014