ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #61
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by PozoRider
I'm planning a CD trip this August. The first question that I have is if there are other offroad routes from the Mexican border to Silver City? Looking at the maps it looks like there are plenty of trails out there. The tracks go right up 81, is there a reason for this?

Thanks,
I agree and I would only ride south to north like I do Mex2Can. I am heading over there to scout it out. I would like to start in Douglas, ride to south end of CD then start north. First gas will probably be at Animas.

Does any one know if there is a road along the border or does Geronimo Road go through to Animas valley?
Old 03-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #62
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
I agree and I would only ride south to north like I do Mex2Can. I am heading over there to scout it out. I would like to start in Douglas, ride to south end of CD then start north. First gas will probably be at Animas.

Does any one know if there is a road along the border or does Geronimo Road go through to Animas valley?
The Geronimo Trail is the route you want to take over to Animas Valley and up to Animas. When in Douglas, look for 15th street heading east which turns into the Geronimo Trail. Nice ride.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #63
Ilrider
Ride

Oddometer: 32
Riding the CD in July

I am planning to ride the CD Montana and Wyoming section in July and came upon this wealth of information. I shall try to use this as I am new to GPS stuff. Any guidance is appreciated.
Planning to use the Adventure cycle association maps for the route, for reference.
Will a TomTom Rider work for this kind of route?
Ilrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #64
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilrider
I am planning to ride the CD Montana and Wyoming section in July and came upon this wealth of information. I shall try to use this as I am new to GPS stuff. Any guidance is appreciated.
Planning to use the Adventure cycle association maps for the route, for reference.
Will a TomTom Rider work for this kind of route?
Ask about Tom Tom in general GPS section!

Garmin non-street unit is by far the best bet.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:05 PM   #65
PozoRider
Just Ride

Oddometer: 209
The Geronimo Trail does look like the way to go, much better than riding pavement to Atelope Wells then back up to Silver City. Starting in Douglas, AZ sounds good to me. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year after all but I'm still making plans.

We are making a 7 day trip next month from CA, though NV, UT and back.
Dick's Desert Dash
American Beta
PozoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:22 PM   #66
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PozoRider
The Geronimo Trail does look like the way to go, much better than riding pavement to Atelope Wells then back up to Silver City. Starting in Douglas, AZ sounds good to me. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year after all but I'm still making plans.

We are making a 7 day trip next month from CA, though NV, UT and back.
I put 1,010 miles on my CRF230 and got trail done from Douglas to Hwy 12. There was gas in Animas and Winston and motel in Reserve. Also gas just east and west of Divide on Hwy 12.

Hope to get back in May and finish it to Cuba. Last year I worked Cuba to Chama but need to make one small change near Dulce.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #67
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Just got back form finishing the new route through New Mexico that actually follows the divide. Found another gas right on the divide, 30 miles north of Pie Town. Rode another 984 miles on CRF230. I met 4 back packers, 2 south and 2 north of Pie Town along with 2 Adv riders at the DailyPie. All were heading north.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #68
gpracer171
Kodak Courage

Oddometer: 361
GPS Rookie

I am new to this game and do not have a GPS. However I do have the National Geographic Maps for Colorado. Couls someone post a Track of the Colorado Section of the CD trail so I can see where it goes and post on my map. I would like to check this out.

Thanks.

Mike
2013 Husqvarna Nuda
If you are not moving forward, you are falling behind...
gpracer171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #69
woodside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
You should be able to load the following in google earth:

http://www.digitalms.com/cdt/ctd.kmz

that is the gps file converted to google earth.

from there you can zoom in on whatever section you want.

woodside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #70
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpracer171
I am new to this game and do not have a GPS. However I do have the National Geographic Maps for Colorado. Couls someone post a Track of the Colorado Section of the CD trail so I can see where it goes and post on my map. I would like to check this out.

Thanks.

Mike
Go to my file of the CDR at GPSXchange.com and you can open it in Google Earth.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #71
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just got back form finishing the new route through New Mexico that actually follows the divide. Found another gas right on the divide, 30 miles north of Pie Town. Rode another 984 miles on CRF230. I met 4 back packers, 2 south and 2 north of Pie Town along with 2 Adv riders at the DailyPie. All were heading north.
Where specifically is that gas station 30 miles north of Pie Town? That would be near Hwy 177. Iv'e never seen one in that area. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #72
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy
Where specifically is that gas station 30 miles north of Pie Town? That would be near Hwy 177. Iv'e never seen one in that area. Thanks.
Ponderoa 505-788-2353 at Hwy 36 & 117.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #73
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ponderoa 505-788-2353 at Hwy 36 & 117.
Great info. Thank you sir!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #74
GSADVRDR
110%

Oddometer: 15
Denver to Jackson Hole - route & MapSource question?

On the GPX. file for the Continental Divide Trail, from Denver up to Jackson Hole, can you tell me how much of the mapped route is on paved road vs dirt roads?

I'm looking to make the trip in a couple of weeks and ideally want to keep to back/country dirt roads, etc. I've been viewing the route in Google Earth and am familiar with some of the areas. I realize some pavement will be unavoidable, especially close to larger towns, but I'd like to stay on as much dirt as possible.

Also, I'm relatively familiar with MapSource for my Garmin, but am having some trouble. Is there an easy way to edit the route file to remove the portions I don't plan to ride (from Frisco south to Mexico, etc) or alternatively, just to maintain the sections that I want to load into my GPS?

Thanks!
GSADVRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #75
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSADVRDR
Also, I'm relatively familiar with MapSource for my Garmin, but am having some trouble. Is there an easy way to edit the route file to remove the portions I don't plan to ride (from Frisco south to Mexico, etc) or alternatively, just to maintain the sections that I want to load into my GPS?

Thanks!
I have a file on GPSXchange.com that has 20 tracks of 500 points each. They will all load in a color unit. What GPS are you using?