Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2005, 04:40 PM   #16
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
No---I was kidding about the parts falling off---it has a counterbalancer and is very smooth-----I'm sure it's not as powerful as your 660----and it's not near as powerful as a KTM 640. There is no hit with this motor---just smooth linear midrange----just what I want. And after all--it's really only 570cc's .---just right for me !!!
Reading with great interest as I wait for the SMR610 I have on order. From what I've read on other forums, its kinda a necessity to rejet the carb and uncork the pipe to get good power. The cat is in the pipe similar to new BMWs, probably why its so friggin big. One guy reports 52hp dyno tested with a pipe and rejetting. I'm probably doing a slip-on and the rejet when mine gets here.

Keep an eye around the head gasket. Alot of people have reported leaks. A re-torqueing following a few heat cycles might be a good idea.
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:17 PM   #17
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
This airbox cover has me worried. My fingers point out the air intake. I've never seen a dirt bike that didn't draw it's air from the top of the air-box. If water rises to the height of the carb intake---it's going in. I'm not happy about this set-up at all.
Holy smoke, that could be a stopper! Is the seat really tight to the top of the airbox, or is there enough room for maybe a D-I-Y cut the top of the box (and close up the side intakes) mod here? Maybe they gave you the SM airbox by accident!

I am looking for a replacement for my recently sold DRZ, and I have had my DRZ through higher water than that, and this would be a real worry for me.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:19 PM   #18
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
Holy smoke, that could be a stopper! Is the seat really tight to the top of the airbox, or is there enough room for maybe a D-I-Y cut the top of the box (and close up the side intakes) mod here? Maybe they gave you the SM airbox by accident!

I am looking for a replacement for my recently sold DRZ, and I have had my DRZ through higher water than that, and this would be a real worry for me.
The airbox is on the side---not the top---the whole airbox is not under the seat like on all bikes--it is on the side---yeah weird.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:14 PM   #19
Norman Foley
Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
The airbox is on the side---not the top---the whole airbox is not under the seat like on all bikes--it is on the side---yeah weird.
Single shock Huskys in the '80's all had side airbox, my '87 430WR 2 stroke had it. Cagiva 2 stroke influence put airbox in center WR, CR,WXE and C with dzus fastener seat coming in '92. The '98-'04 TE610E has battery in theside airbox. The TE610 is the last of a line of single cam/single shock Huskys that go back to '86, so they aren't strange if your used to Huskys.

Make Haste, Slowly
Norman Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:34 PM   #20
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
Sorry Mark. No deep water for you.

Apologies if it offends, but I think you need to name this bike the "Guinea Pig" - the rare and esoteric cousin to gaspipe's garden variety big red pig.

We need to get a ride together when that white stuff goes away: The BigDog/Gaspipe Pig Ride '06, or something like that.

No matter what, that Husky is a darned nice bike.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:36 PM   #21
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,365
I just got back from the Long Beach motorcycle show. Husqvarna was there with a very nice booth. I spent quite a bit of time looking this bike over and all I can say is SWEEET!

I especially liked the attention to detail on the charcoal canister. They know they have to put one on it and they know you're going to take it off when you get home. They only thing they could do to make it easier would be to put a 10mm wrench on the backside of your ignition key and instructions on the frame so you could ditch it when you got home.

Since Mark didn't share a picture of the charcoal canister installed on the bike, I'll share. There is little chance of flooding it when tipped over because if you fall over, the canister will break into a million pieces. They hung it on the right side of the engine case, out in the wind as an absolute afterthought. I like that they didn't even pretend that you were going to keep it.

Of course, you may remove the charcoal canister but for closed course competition only
Old 12-11-2005, 12:33 AM   #22
bigdog1971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
BigDogadventures.
Mate I have asked a number of people to give me some indication of how far you can get to a tank of fuel, but as yet no one has answered my questions
Your mission is please please, tell me how far you get before you have to go to reserve on the tank. Also could you mention what sort of riding you were doing at the time (going flat snot or just cruzin)
I am tryin to offload my 2000 model TE610 to make way for the new 06 version.

Thanks in advance
Bigdog
Husky 2006 TE510 some mods
bigdog1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:27 AM   #23
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
esoteric ???????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
Sorry Mark. No deep water for you.

Apologies if it offends, but I think you need to name this bike the "Guinea Pig" - the rare and esoteric cousin to gaspipe's garden variety big red pig.

We need to get a ride together when that white stuff goes away: The BigDog/Gaspipe Pig Ride '06, or something like that.

No matter what, that Husky is a darned nice bike.
Yes Gas, we need to ride----You may have to help me carry the guinea pig thru the Urique river.
Guinea Pig----Yes, I've been there before---and it bit me in the ass. Paid $7,800 for an ATK 605 DS/ES in 1995 and hated that bike---I was so embarrased I didn't tell anybody for a year.
Sorry I was so long in replying to your post---I was searching online for a translation to the word "esoteric"

esoteric-------"very unusual; understood or liked by only a small number of people, especially those with special knowledge"

Well---I think that describes me and you to a tee and the pigs too !!! I like the part about "special knowledge". Don't know if that's true or not--but it sounds good.

Hell---I'll be throwin' that word around all the time and I'll bet I'll get a lot of funny looks while they try to make me think they knew what it meant.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:55 AM   #24
mastiffdog2
A Bike Addict

Oddometer: 394
I like this bike alot, but if some of you hate the KTM dealer network and parts availability, wait until you see the Husky network.

My nearest dealer is about 1.5 hours away. He is a KTM dealer and also carries the Husky. I called him a few times and had a couple discussions about the bike. I finally called and drove over in the middle of the week to see the bike. Not only was I ignored when I arrived, but the shop owner was "counseling" a customer on why he should pay cash (or check) for a part instead of using his credit card. At the same time, he informed that customer he would add 3% onto his purchase because that is "what it cost him" to process the card.

I walked out, the guy made me sick - sick to my stomach. Maybe I'll start up looking again when there is a decent dealer supporting them.

Good luck with your Husky, nice bike...
mastiffdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:33 AM   #25
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiffdog2
I like this bike alot, but if some of you hate the KTM dealer network and parts availability, wait until you see the Husky network.

My nearest dealer is about 1.5 hours away. He is a KTM dealer and also carries the Husky. I called him a few times and had a couple discussions about the bike. I finally called and drove over in the middle of the week to see the bike. Not only was I ignored when I arrived, but the shop owner was "counseling" a customer on why he should pay cash (or check) for a part instead of using his credit card. At the same time, he informed that customer he would add 3% onto his purchase because that is "what it cost him" to process the card.

I walked out, the guy made me sick - sick to my stomach. Maybe I'll start up looking again when there is a decent dealer supporting them.

Good luck with your Husky, nice bike...
Why do you hate idiotic MC dealers? Everyone talks well about Hall's in Springfield, Ill. and Upstate Cycle in Greenville, SC. Guess I'm lucky to have a good one nearby.
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:41 AM   #26
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Looks like an awsome bike. Husqvarna's fit, finish and attention to detail is very impressive.
yeah, thanks for the close-ups, bigdogadventures.com
I almost convinced now that the build quality / fit and finish is as good as or better than KTM.
If you can. I'd appreciate any more close-ups you can manage.
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:42 AM   #27
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiffdog2
Not only was I ignored when I arrived, but the shop owner was "counseling" a customer on why he should pay cash (or check) for a part instead of using his credit card. At the same time, he informed that customer he would add 3% onto his purchase because that is "what it cost him" to process the card.
Went to see Eric did we? I've been there twice: once to have the same experience and once more to see if he was just having a bad day. He might be the nicest guy in the world and I'm sure he knows a lot but his people skills leave a lot to be desired.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:14 AM   #28
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog1971
I am tryin to offload my 2000 model TE610 to make way for the new 06 version.
How long have you had the 2000 model? Did you get it new? I'm still not clear about the reliability and maintenance. How many miles between oil changes and valve checks?
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:53 AM   #29
Norman Foley
Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer: 278
Husky needs to tune up its dealer network for sure. Lots of weird dealers of all brands though. There is a Husky dealer 1 hour away who is terrible(got the franchise with Ducati when Cagiva owned both), he'll tell you you can't get parts or bikes. The dealer, 3 hours away, I used to do business with will bullshit you about parts being on back order when they aren't because he's waiting for a bigger order to send in, I found this out the hard way. Then he was always trying to get me to switch to KTM. I'm lucky to have found a really good dealer 2.5 hours away(Bottones Jo-Bet Cycles, Bradford, PA). These guys ride and race Huskys, have the bikes and stock the parts or can get them pronto from Husky US. I ride and race 3 late model Huskys and do Post-Vintage on an '82 and have no problem getting parts. Basically three ways to buy a Husky..... You are fortunate enought to live close to a really good dealer or make the multi hour pilgrimage to them(Bottones, Halls, Motoxotica, Upstate Cycle, etc), you buy it from blow out type dealer(Heinin's) on Ebay or over phone and get parts from good dealers above and rely on your abilities and internet BB's to make it work or the worst is you buy it from the asshole dealer and get no support or parts, get frustrated and end up a Husky hater. My dealer is Husky/KTM and has switced his sales from majority KTM to 75% Husky in the last 7 years. This is by a combination of good bikes and good sales and service.
cat- I've had an '03 for two years and it's been quite reliable. My dealer sold a bunch of '00's and they're all still going strong. Valves and oil change 5000km/3125mi. After intial valve check 600 mi, valves on single cam Huskys seldom move. It's not like you'll be checkiing them every other ride.

Make Haste, Slowly
Norman Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:00 AM   #30
TooTall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
I have been hesitant to start this report as the Husky has only been test ridden on pavement at the dealers----but after looking it over there is a lot to say about the bike---most things better, a couple worse and some really neat stuff. And yes---all the snow and ice is my fault--I'm so sorry--the purchase of this bike has reversed "Global Warming".
And yes there is much more to come.
Ok Mark, you ready for a possible trip to Big Bend over the Christmas Holidays? We need some action shots of that sweet looking ride.