Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #31
bigdog1971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat
How long have you had the 2000 model? Did you get it new? I'm still not clear about the reliability and maintenance. How many miles between oil changes and valve checks?
Cat, I have had the bike since new. The only breakdowns that I have had have been the magnets in the flywheel disbonded and a worn needle and nozzle that had me pulling my hair out trying to work out what the problem was.
Now I am a bit of a freak when it comes to maintainance, I tend to over maintain. I change the oil every 500km, but remember this model (00) only holds just over 1 lt of oil and does not run a paper filter. In 8000 kms I have only adjusted the valve clearances 3 times! and every time they did not really need it.
Hope this helps
Husky 2006 TE510 some mods
bigdog1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:19 AM   #32
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog1971
Cat, I have had the bike since new. The only breakdowns that I have had have been the magnets in the flywheel disbonded and a worn needle and nozzle that had me pulling my hair out trying to work out what the problem was.
Now I am a bit of a freak when it comes to maintainance, I tend to over maintain. I change the oil every 500km, but remember this model (00) only holds just over 1 lt of oil and does not run a paper filter. In 8000 kms I have only adjusted the valve clearances 3 times! and every time they did not really need it.
Hope this helps
Yes, thanks, it helps.
I'm thinking of the SM, road use only; I want to able to go to work on it (so say 100-250 km a week) and go for back road rides on the weekend, without it needing oil changes or valve checks every other weekend. And I don't want to worry about it breaking down 200km from home.
So I think that's answered now.
Apparently the 2006 SM610 holds about 2 litres oil.
"Over-maintenance"? Sounds like me. Clean oil, clean bike, nice. Maintenance, and fiddling, is like preventative maintenance - you get to see what's going on with it.
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:14 AM   #33
Norman Foley
Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Foley
cat- I've had an '03 for two years and it's been quite reliable. My dealer sold a bunch of '00's and they're all still going strong. Valves and oil change 5000km/3125mi. After intial valve check 600 mi, valves on single cam Huskys seldom move. It's not like you'll be checkiing them every other ride.
cat- I also own an '01 TE400(kick only) as well as the '03 TE610E. Both bikes have the same top end, but very different bottom end. The TE610E(now called TE610 for '06) is big and rugged bottom end with as mentioned 2 liters of oil, paper and mesh filters. The '00's I mentioned above are TE610E's and not kick start TE610's. Both bikes are real reliable and electric start bikes don't have the flywheel magnet problem that some kick only bikes had.

Make Haste, Slowly
Norman Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:28 AM   #34
compman21234
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I've looked all over the place at the Husky website, and can't find any specs about the *seat height* -- does anyone know where to find this spec? I'd like to know what it is for the te450, too, since that also looks interesting. I always lower my bikes in some fashion (usually use Kouba links) so I can touch the ground -- on the street, in traffic, it's an important safety feature for me.
Anybody know?
2006 KLX250
compman21234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:20 AM   #35
Norman Foley
Devotee of the Husqvarna

37" I posted to your other question.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=65

Make Haste, Slowly
Old 12-12-2005, 09:18 AM   #36
mastiffdog2
A Bike Addict

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCifu
Went to see Eric did we? I've been there twice: once to have the same experience and once more to see if he was just having a bad day. He might be the nicest guy in the world and I'm sure he knows a lot but his people skills leave a lot to be desired.
Bingo.
mastiffdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:05 AM   #37
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by compman21234
....can't find any specs about the *seat height* -- does anyone know where to find this spec? I'd like to know what it is for the te450, too, since that also looks interesting....
Norman got it right (as always). I measured seat heights on an '06 TE610 and an '06 TE250 at Malcom Smith's this weekend. Both were 37.25" unladen. However, the preload on the shock of each bike was set at the max (no static sag at all!), so it should drop below 37" if you just back off on the preload a bit. I'm 165# and only sagged it ~2-3" with the high preload and could just touch the balls of my feet (33" inseam). Backing off on preload should soften it and allow 3-4" race sag and near flat-footing with the narrow seat.
levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:17 AM   #38
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Foley
cat- I also own an '01 TE400(kick only) as well as the '03 TE610E. Both bikes have the same top end, but very different bottom end. The TE610E(now called TE610 for '06) is big and rugged bottom end with as mentioned 2 liters of oil, paper and mesh filters. The '00's I mentioned above are TE610E's and not kick start TE610's. Both bikes are real reliable and electric start bikes don't have the flywheel magnet problem that some kick only bikes had.
Thanks.

And the SM450R 2005 models that are going for reduced prices now ...? 3,000km oil changes / valve checks ...?
They have basic enduro lights; if they'd licence it / let me put indicators and mirror and horn ... that would be ok for me to go to work on and general town riding, I think. 20-50km a day to work etc. - that would give me a few weeks between oil changes and valve checks. I think it would be ok for...20km rides on freeway, with maybe 2 teeth more on the front sprocket. ...Then I get the MZ or something for longer back road trips like 200-300 miles.

Actually, the real answer for is I need to win a lottery and have LOTS of bikes.
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:34 AM   #39
Norman Foley
Devotee of the Husqvarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat
Thanks.

And the SM450R 2005 models that are going for reduced prices now ...? 3,000km oil changes / valve checks ...?
They have basic enduro lights; if they'd licence it / let me put indicators and mirror and horn ... that would be ok for me to go to work on and general town riding, I think. 20-50km a day to work etc. - that would give me a few weeks between oil changes and valve checks. I think it would be ok for...20km rides on freeway, with maybe 2 teeth more on the front sprocket. ...Then I get the MZ or something for longer back road trips like 200-300 miles.

Actually, the real answer for is I need to win a lottery and have LOTS of bikes.
I havent owned a new style twin cam Husky yet(I'd love a TE250), so can't comment other than a higher strung race engine than single cam Huskys. Go to www.thumpertalk.com or www.supermotojunkie.com for details.

Make Haste, Slowly
Old 12-13-2005, 05:50 AM   #40
compman21234
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
Norman got it right (as always). I measured seat heights on an '06 TE610 and an '06 TE250 at Malcom Smith's this weekend. Both were 37.25" unladen. However, the preload on the shock of each bike was set at the max (no static sag at all!), so it should drop below 37" if you just back off on the preload a bit. I'm 165# and only sagged it ~2-3" with the high preload and could just touch the balls of my feet (33" inseam). Backing off on preload should soften it and allow 3-4" race sag and near flat-footing with the narrow seat.
Thanks to you and Norman! Finally a website with the specs. I couldn't find that thing, no matter where I googled.
I'm 165 lbs., also, and I intend to go talk to the nearest dealer about just how low they could finally get the seat height on one of their bikes. The mechanics should know. If I can get it down, with sag, to around 32-33 inches, that would do it for me. I don't need a lot of suspension-travel left over, since i don't do anything "heroic" any more, except maybe by accident.....
Hmmm....do I want an enduro, or the even lower supermoto model? Decisions, decisons.....gotta go sit on some to see which one gets me most excited.....
2006 KLX250
Old 12-13-2005, 08:04 AM   #41
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Big Tank

Don't even talk to IMS on tanks. Clarke is a smaller organization, but will listen. Also, can I assume it's an accelerator pump carb? Those things make the bikes real snappy, but are a major contributor to poor fuel economy. The issue is the volume and timing of the pump shot. Talk to "Burned" over at thumpertalk.com...he's a knowledgeable guy. The KTM EXC's pump shot is ALL WRONG...a simple swap of a Honda 450 $18 diaphragm does wonders for fuel economy & response. You saw the exact issue why I sold my DRZ....crap gearbox ratios. Got a 450 EXC...what a mistake...light, great suspension, carb etc etc etc, but doesn't hold any oil....no good for long distance dual sporting....I'm looking again...waiting to see this Husky at the Cleveland bike show next month!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:05 AM   #42
snoid
100% Okie

Oddometer: 27,567
big dog...

any links to 610 info...

is it true that it's 310lbs dry?

i know the older 610's made 40-42 hp

any reliable dyno charts on the new one?

is it a new motor design for o6?

thanks,

me
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:58 AM   #43
compman21234
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoid
any links to 610 info...

thanks,

me
A Spec-filled Husky link is posted a few posts above this one.
2006 KLX250
Old 12-13-2005, 11:29 AM   #44
snoid
100% Okie

Oddometer: 27,567
did you click the links?

i've already been through the paltry 3 pages of thumpertalk's husky forum. there's maybe two threads on the 610 and zip info.

the other is some stupormoto catchall forum. i don't have the time nor inclination to wade through the shallow, squidly waters there.

wanna try again?

what's different besides the fcrmx carb on the '06 motor?
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:09 PM   #45
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoid
any links to 610 info...

thanks,

me
I think it's 308.

Norm will know all the engine sht. I think he must sleep wiff the things.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote