Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2005, 07:55 PM   #61
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino2000
They don't make big tanks and all the other little trick bits for these bikes Nate. Quit lustin' after this euro shit and buy a bike you can get on and ride.
That's right Nate, you need to ride American. You too Dino. Hey Dino, I'll make you a sweet deal on one of my ATK 605's
Old 12-13-2005, 08:30 PM   #62
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,343
No thanks

I think i'll be happy for quite a while w/ the BRP. Big tank and damper this week. Fifteen tooth, smog block off, skid plate and top triple last week. Still trying to figure out the sure fire way to cold start but haven't gotten frustrated yet. The bike starts hot every time w/ one or two kicks. This Husky does look sexy though. The cycras are the shit too. If I have any pennies left, i'll get a set for the pig.
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #63
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,714
Got her dirty today---really dirty

It happened---it was way too cold to ride----really frosty, frozen really slippery ground--thawed and way more slippery--nasty----38---Brrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Screw it---- I'm goin' ridin' But I ain't gonna get it dirty---just cruise around and not get it dirty---heck it ain't broke in yet
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-17-2005 at 03:35 PM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:59 PM   #64
bigdog1971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
BigDog those stickers on your hand guards look dangerously simular to a Honda wing!! WTF.

Seriously tho, have you tried to get a frame skid/bash plate yet? are they available.
And back to my original question have you managed to go any distance on it yet? if so whats your estimate of how far you will get to a tank?

Scotty
Husky 2006 TE510 some mods
bigdog1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 03:12 PM   #65
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Not !!!!

Not !!!!!! I just couldn't help myself---found myself going places I wouldn't have taken the KLR or 950---got her good and muddy and had great time and put about 120 miles on it.

I was hoping to get to ride it in its element soon and I found out a whole lot of things about this bike------the first----I really like this bike.

I finally got my heated grips on and plugged in my heated vest, arm chaps and gloves and set out to run the battery dead as nobody---I mean nobody can tell me how many watts the alternator puts out. The bottom line----I kept an eye on my volt meter on my GPS and it handled it all extremely well---with just a little RPM it kept 14.5 volts---better than my 280 watt KLR. I was so happy with that.

The 6 speed tranny is so slick, I rarely used the clutch---you have to be cooking to get it in 6th gear offroad. I'm sure some maybe most will gear it down for the tight stuff---I don't do the real tight stuff that much anymore--I'm leaving the gearing alone----I do not want to lose any of the top end-----got to keep up with GasPipe on his fast Mexico runs !!!

Better find neutral before you stop.

I finally revved her up and found more power I didn't know was there---when broken in it is going to be fun to hit that range now and then.

Seat------keep it in the rough stuff so you're not sitting down I love riding standing up---good thing huh !!!!

Carburation---spot on---it is perfect---never a hiccup---no popping at all on deceleration tells me it is not lean.

Computer button---way too small and hard to push----especially with gloves on.

I'm not use to getting the wheel up at all for a big hole after spending so much time lately on the KLR and 950----just wack the throttle---no jerk on the bars needed.

Low fuel light came on at about 110miles----the dealer filled it up when I bought it but I don't think he filled it all the way. I haven't a clue yet on gas mileage. Why the idiot low fuel light ????----there is no reserve on the petcock---either on or off---that's it. Maybe you could use the left petcock as a reserve---I don't see why not.

The seat height is very tall at 37". It's what you need for serious offroading which requires very good ground clearance and long travel suspension. After riding offroad bikes all my life this doesn't bother me at all.

Always fires right up hot or cold. Remember the accellerator pump---don't let your buddy just keep wacking that throttle in the garage.

I don't know if the tires suck or not---it was really slippery out and some more aggressive tires may have had some problems anyway.

The thing I hate the most---maybe the only thing I hate----there is a seperate key for the gas tank---I don't even want a locking gas cap, let alone one with a seperate key. I was careful to lay it out before going riding so i would have it-------left it anyway Had to go back for it. That just is really dumb---------of me---and Husqvarna.

High beam is out---don't know why--will check it out.

The nice little plastic rear rack that came with it is going to be fine---I strapped a little bicycle tail bag to it for today--but will get something better later.

If you bog the motor down to low----it doesn't shake and rattle at you like some other bikes I've had.

Did I say I like this bike ??

Although the jury is still out----I don't think I'll ever pack camping gear on this bike (tent)---I may adventure tour on it---but will use the GasPipe tarp method or motel it. Yeh----GasPipe--you knew I'd see the light someday.

Yes BigDog1971 there are a couple skid plates out there--one good--one bad--I just haven't got to it yet.

And I dont know yet how far I can go on a tank of fuel-----this is a big thing for me to know to---the next ride I will get an accurate mpg figure. I can't wait to get this figure.

No spark knocking--I'm sure the dealer put some good stuff in it.

Not as comfy as my KLR on the pavement, but handles excellent--very stable.

I'm still thinkin'
KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-18-2005 at 10:04 AM
Old 12-17-2005, 03:28 PM   #66
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog1971
BigDog those stickers on your hand guards look dangerously simular to a Honda wing!!

Scotty
Yeh--those are tacky aren't they---yeh, they gotta go !!!
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 12-17-2005, 03:34 PM   #67
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Hall Cycles Rocks !!!

I am even more impressed with my dealer---Halls Cycle in Springfield, Illinois. I've had the bike 2 weeks-----I have my title and plate already--don't kown how they did that.

I ordered some spares over the phone--had them in 3 days. You can't beat that. I butchered the kickstand bolt (don't ask)----couldn't believe they had one in stock--who would be so dumb to butcher a brand new kickstand bolt--I guess they knew there was one guy out there.

I think my best friend is going to take the next 610 that comes in to Halls shop. He likes it --a lot.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-17-2005 at 03:39 PM
Old 12-17-2005, 03:37 PM   #68
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,430
I'm probably stuck riding my 640 Adventure for another year or so, but the new Husky sure looks nice. KTM had better come up with a suitable replacement for the LC4 soon or I'm jumping ship.

I rode Husky's back in the day and wouldn't mind returning to my roots. Hopefully the aftermarket will catch up with the 610 in a year or so.

Keep posting on this great bike!
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 03:43 PM   #69
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
I'm probably stuck riding my 640 Adventure for another year or so, but the new Husky sure looks nice. KTM had better come up with a suitable replacement for the LC4 soon or I'm jumping ship.

I rode Husky's back in the day and wouldn't mind returning to my roots. Hopefully the aftermarket will catch up with the 610 in a year or so.

Keep posting on this great bike!
2whlrcrr----the KTM has a couple things on the Husky---fuel capacity and the ability to carry much more weight (gear)---but I guess this is at the expense of much more gross weight. I think some people would not want the Husky for those 2 reasons.

I just can't see someone attaching hard panniers to the Husky--I just don't think it was made with that in mind.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 12-17-2005, 04:02 PM   #70
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Thanks Mark for the ride info.

I thought we were going to have to wait until Spring! We're covered in snow and ice here in Montana. It was 0degreesF this morning.
Some of us are wondering what you think you'll be able to cruise at comfortably on the highway, how wide the gear box range is. So add that to the mileage/tank question and keep it coming. I think you are on to something there for a great dual sporter, Montana/Mexico style.
JB
jonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #71
trailuser
take the backroads

Oddometer: 1,382
I just can't see someone attaching hard panniers to the Husky--I just don't think it was made with that in mind.[/QUOTE]

That's what you have the KLR for, right? Or do you see this bike replacing the "trusty one"

Nice bike Mark
trailuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:36 PM   #72
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,651
great thread. I'm in the market for something along these lines and appreciate the insight.

question. the 2006 Husky 510 Enduro is listed as close to 70 pounds less on the website. was it a consideration?
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:46 PM   #73
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
BigDog...you're ride report and a deposit by a guy buying my KTM 450 EXE has me all worked up for this Husky. If you have a tach...how many revs at 60 mph, and what kinda tires did it come with...D606 or something Pirelli?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:17 PM   #74
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford
what kinda tires did it come with...D606 or something Pirelli?
Karoos
Old 12-17-2005, 05:35 PM   #75
iDave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
I kept an eye on my volt meter on my GPS
Your GPS has a voltmeter?
iDave is offline   Reply With Quote