ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - West & PNW
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2005, 07:56 PM   #1
sandiegoland OP
Adventure Boy®

Oddometer: 1,743
Otay Mountain, San Diego County

Otay Mountain Truck Trail and Minnewawa Truck Trail. The main road is in pretty fair shape, but there are always the more primative spur roads* for the adventurous...

Commanding views of the area. This is looking south to Cerro Jesus Maria in Mexico

Obligatory backcountry trash photo. Actually the area is relatively clear of large debris for the most part...

Some of the side spur roads are a bit primative...

Some of the spur roads have eronious signage to confuse the uninformed about what is private and what are BLM managed areas. This particular gate marks the boundary of the Marron Valley Preserve.

There are a few roads that reach the border southwest of the main peak...

Lot's of corner mirrors for a road that gets almost no traffic...

It doesn't hurt to have a GPS if you aren't familiar with this area. That way, when you get to a fork in the road, you can take it...

edit: Added these tracks to GPXchange for easy viewing with topographic maps... updated the attached GPX file to account for a locked gate on the West approach to Otay Mountain TT.

edit: * Some useful BLM overlayed topographic maps can be found at http://www.blm.gov/ca/palmsprings/scrmp.html so you can be aware of what roads are excluded from the widlerness area.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx otay0706.gpx (101.4 KB, 267 views)

sandiegoland screwed with this post 09-03-2006 at 06:15 PM
sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
Trey650
Are We There Yet?

Oddometer: 1,872
That's a fun area to ride. The mirrors are for when the Border Patrol comes flying around the corners. If it wasn't for those mirrors I would have become a hood ornament a couple of times. You also have to watch out that you don't accidently "cross" the border, the BP gets kinda testy at you if you do.
Class 10 Cage
Save $5 on Smugmug!! Use code cQNk2QFrIDFCo
Trey650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:01 AM   #3
sandiegoland OP
Adventure Boy®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey650
You also have to watch out that you don't accidently "cross" the border, the BP gets kinda testy at you if you do.
But officer... see the GPS says we're in America. Whoops, oh I see... Central America... sorry!

sandiegoland screwed with this post 01-24-2006 at 11:47 AM
Old 04-24-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
sandiegoland OP
Adventure Boy®

Some more from the same area. 4/23/06

Foot traffic near the border from the night before recorded on the wet dirt road:

The road winding down to the border monument provides a clear view of the border:

A close-up:

The view to Downtown San Diego and Point Loma under the threat of weather:

A similar view down into Mexico:
Old 04-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
bikeslut
adventurous stud

Oddometer: 1,657
sandiegoland- let me know if you ever want company down along the border- I want to check out the area, but not necesssarily alone the first time- drz or v strom- I'm in Alpine
bikeslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #6
sandiegoland OP
Adventure Boy®

A few shots taken 5/14/06 -

Sandiegoland and Dils pause to let some local wildlife cross the road (Rubber Boa)

View of Cottonwood Creek before it joins Tecate Creek to become the Tijuana River.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
elofdahl
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks for the tracks! I spent a good part of today riding south and west from Dulzura. Eventually I ended up near Otay Mesa at the border fence. I met a nice guy...he worked for the border patrol. His territory did not include the area around Otay Mountain, so he could not understand where I came from. Eventually I convinced him that I turned off Rt 94 at Dulzura and took the easy gravel/dirt roads through the mountains and down to the valley where he worked.

'06 KLR650
'03 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
elofdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:56 PM   #8
sandiegoland OP
Adventure Boy®

Quote:
Originally Posted by elofdahl
Thanks for the tracks! I spent a good part of today riding south and west from Dulzura.
Glad you enjoyed the area! I'm always surprised how isolated that area is, being that it is so close to San Diego.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:38 AM   #9
mattybag
Parrothead/Singlespeeder

Oddometer: 89
Eek New (To you) DRZ?

Craig:
From your pictures it looks like you got yourself a DRZ! and it looks like you're putting it to good use. Congrats.

We'll have to get together for a ride soon. This time maybe I'll put one together up here going to Big Bear and the surrounding areas. Sickboy and I did a ride up there this weekend (he finally got his KTM running and was finally able to put some time on his new tires).

Congrats again.
Matt

"we never failed to fail, it was the easiest thing to do."
mattybag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
sandiegoland OP
Adventure Boy®

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybag
Craig:
From your pictures it looks like you got yourself a DRZ! and it looks like you're putting it to good use. Congrats.

We'll have to get together for a ride soon. This time maybe I'll put one together up here going to Big Bear and the surrounding areas...
Sure did. Nice little '02 with 4000 miles and all the typical mods already. Added the handguards and the folding mirrors.

Just what I feared though - now I no longer have an excuse for being SLOW! Well it will be lots of fun and hopefully cut down on the DL650 abuse...
Old 06-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #11
sandiegoland OP
Adventure Boy®

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeslut
sandiegoland- let me know if you ever want company down along the border- I want to check out the area, but not necesssarily alone the first time- drz or v strom- I'm in Alpine
bikeslut and I had a good ride on Sunday morning. Not too many pics (the views into Mexico were a bit hazy), but we successfully we ran that section of the old Tecate Truck Trail that forks off of Kuchamaa Truck Trail (which was new for me). It was a 23% grade compounded by a really loose surface.

A few memories of the day:

This time it's the real McCoy - a Rattle Snake. In the final drop into Marron Valley it was stretched out and hidden from view until the last second behind a whoopdy in the road. I saw him curl up at the last moment but wasn't confident that I had cleared him with both wheels. We walked back and took a look, and from we could observe from its movements it looked unscathed. This makes the fourth snake in two months I have managed to avoid running over! I'm 0 for 4!

This is the US-Mexico border fence looking West at point "LTDBR" (attachment 102500.gpx)

This is the US-Mexico border fence looking East at point "LTDBR" (attachment 102500.gpx)

Here's a bonus ADVrider FYYFF rock along the border...

This is a pic from a previous ride showing Kuchamaa Truck Trail dropping down. The old Tecate Truck Trail we headed up can be seen forking off to the right at the left most part of the photo...
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 102500.gpx (175.4 KB, 191 views)

sandiegoland screwed with this post 07-19-2006 at 04:40 PM
Old 06-20-2006, 08:42 AM   #12
bikeslut
adventurous stud

Oddometer: 1,657
thanks again for the tour

getting a bit warm now, but I'll take the kids out in September. they were not too impressed with rattlesnake picture I took "we saw a bigger one than that..." but they are eager to go tackle some of those roads
bikeslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #13
sandiegoland OP
Adventure Boy®

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeslut
...they were not too impressed with rattlesnake picture I took "we saw a bigger one than that..."
Heh heeeh!!!

That's actually the first rattler I've seen in a long time down here in San Diego.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #14
C2W
Semi-Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoland
Heh heeeh!!!

That's actually the first rattler I've seen in a long time down here in San Diego.
I think they are all living in RSF Craig. . . .(Nice PIX)
C2W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #15
sandiegoland OP
Adventure Boy®

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2W
I think they are all living in RSF Craig. . . .(Nice PIX)
They gotta be where all the tasty rodents are, present company excluded of course!!

sandiegoland screwed with this post 06-20-2006 at 12:06 PM