Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2006, 03:57 AM   #46
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,790
I found this thread very interesting. There is no mention of numbers for the the LC4E model or the SCX models.

I was trying to establish the total number of 640 LC4 engines that are being operated in the USA. Once we establish the total number, it makes sense to look at long term reliability and then establish a long term maintenance/replacement schedule based on total accumulated mileage.

The owners manual has some glaring omissions in their suggested list of scheduled maintenance.
It strikes me that many of the problems with our bikes have to do with lubrication and greasing issues or cooling problems.
The cylinder head/valve gear and clutch are also problematic.

Since Iam coming up on 20Kmiles on my bike and am planning another 20K out of country this will be a labor of love.

Anyone want to take a stab at the total number of engines in the USA?

Bill in Tomahawk, WI.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 10-13-2006 at 04:20 AM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:26 AM   #47
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 800
Old thread - but it rocks.... I learned allot from it...

I will add my vin number tomorrow - don't have it on me right now... But I have added myself to the 620 EGS Adv owners this past weekend.. It's going to need some TLC as it spent it's life out side, but it's got less than 6k on it and I got it from a friend who is also the original owner...

Photos of it are at - http://picasaweb.google.com/jason.picton/KTMProject

I have already pulled off the sold rusty mirror, and put two left over drz400Sm OEM Mirrors on it, swapped hand guard for one I had lying around, and cleaned up all the tiny surface rust associate with these parts.. I will sand and paint the OEM handguard and will replace the mirrors with some thing else in the future. The 1st thing is to get it inspected and legal - MD requires 2 mirrors - so it's why I did it...

Today's task will be to swap my leftover SXC dirt front fender :) and this weekend - I will put the dirt wheels from the SXC on it as well.. (SXC is a motard). That way I can clean 'em up whenever - and/or mount new rims to the hub at some future point... Lots more to do... but it's a sweet ride...

Thanks for this thread....

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:16 AM   #48
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,461
Congrats on the new purchase. Now go smack your friend around for leaving that bike outside. It's good to see that it still has the low exhaust. It really doesn't look that bad in the photos.

There are fewer and fewer of these bikes around. There was just an auction on eBay with one complete bike that had been modified to high exhaust and he had a parts bike that would probably never roll again. That's two fewer bikes in this world.

Very, very rare beasts indeed. Looking forward to getting the serial number from yours and seeing more pics.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #49
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
Congrats on the new purchase. Now go smack your friend around for leaving that bike outside. It's good to see that it still has the low exhaust. It really doesn't look that bad in the photos.

There are fewer and fewer of these bikes around. There was just an auction on eBay with one complete bike that had been modified to high exhaust and he had a parts bike that would probably never roll again. That's two fewer bikes in this world.

Very, very rare beasts indeed. Looking forward to getting the serial number from yours and seeing more pics.
LOL ... Yeah - but California was too far away for me.... Plus, I do know the previous/original owner ... If I hadn't have known him.. I probably would have walked away - there are some serious signs of exterior neglect.. I would have worried bout the internal condiion - but it runs strong, and the motor was taken care of - you can see the hoses are in good shape - with little addition to the fuel lines - etc... The only mechanical issue I have is the clutch is softish/mushy feeling... Charlie (the PO) said the it's always been that way... My SXC is NOT like it - so I am hoping it's something simple to fix....

I like the pipes - but have a few issues with em - they aren't rusty but it looks like the nickle plating has REAALLLY discolored itself in places - ala sitting outside.. I am debating getting em jet hotted silver (would be a flat color - but would match the rest of the bike as most of the metal while NOT rusty has more of a dull finish). They are heavy too, but I like water crossings .. The low pipes are a cause for concern in that area.. A buddy has just gotten into making high mount shorty cans for SM bikes... THinking bout possibly pulling the cans and getting some aftermarket one and having him bend some pipe and make shorty cans for the ends ala the dakar rallye version

Old 10-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #50
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,461
That exhaust is stainless. That discoloration is normal for a bike that has seen water crossings and mud with a hot exhaust. By far the easiest thing is to clean it up with fine steel wool while washing, then leave it alone.

As for changing to a high exhaust, you will quickly find that the subframe and rear sidecovers won't work. That's all different on the high-pipe models and in order to get the exhaust through the 'normal' routing, you'd have to swap to a newer ('99-up) subframe, airbox, battery tray, etc.

Since the stock cans have the spark arrestors, I'd just leave it alone. It's a bit heavy but having one of probably 15 left in the country is worth something when people ask you "WTF kind of bike is that?"

Just my $0.02
Old 10-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #51
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Thanks for the info... I may have misspoke, I know the subframe is different - I was going to have a buddy of mine just make me some longer pipes, bend em up, and put custom cans on the end sort of like this

Of course that means no bags .. If they are stainless, I will start with cleaning en up and see how I like it...

Last question for the day... The supposeded clear windscreen has seen better days - it's solid no crack - but it's opaque... Anyone know of cheaper replacments than $200 for a new one... Anyone paint theres a solid color like the later models???

DK - love the article on the 620Adv.... I actually found it online when I was deciding to go all the way to Buena Vista, VA to buy it..

hondahawkrider screwed with this post 10-03-2007 at 10:37 AM
Old 10-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #52
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey

Well, it's my turn to add to the list. I have 2 to add to the list. Yes 2, but one needs some TLC. They are both 97's but one is titled as a 98 and the other as a 2000.

serial #- 8575
engine#- 4593

This is the parts bike and was never titled until 2000. This supposedly is Jimmy Lewis' old bike. It has the high exhaust and a non-cush hub. I don't have any of the low exhaust parts for it. The motor has a bad crank bearing. It has a number 2 best in desert sticker on it and #065 race number.

serial#- 8791
engine#5078

This bike has 6300 miles on it and is all original except for the high exhaust. The PO cut a piece of the left sub frame that supports the low exhaust. It was a clean cut and I have the piece. I have all the parts for the low exhaust. The only weird thing is that the original owner cut and capped the midpipe where it splits to the left and right side. So it can be a low exhaust on the right side only, I can find a spare midpipe.

The plan is to rebuild the motor and take the best parts from both bikes and put it on the clean bike. Then I will build the other one back up and sell it. At least that's the plan for now. It is nice to have an Adventure again. I always loved the orange of the 97 and 98's.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #53
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

I just tore mine down.... I am going to make a rallye replica outta mine...

the last 4 of my VIN are 8742

its a 97 tagged as a 98

Old 10-21-2007, 07:11 AM   #54
rtec
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi,

the first year they sold the Adventure 620 was in 1997.
The bike was launched April (or May?) '97 at the island of Elba/Italy.
It is still a great bike. If you have one - keep it!
Attached Images

rtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #55
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,394
Are these bikes prone to the engine bearing failure? Also what's the difference between the motor of a 620 and a 640? I thought the 640 was 625cc? Is the 620 motor basically the same as a 640 with a few less ccs? Or is there more substantial differences?

There's a 1998 620 ADV over in TX that I was giving a serious thought of buying.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #56
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
I have a friend in Baton Rouge that has a (I think) 96 that is something sort of weird and rare. It is an LC4 of some sorts with a huge tank. What makes it so strange is that it has all purple bodywork. It is all OE plastic. I only had one chance to see it in person probably 8 years ago, it was really cool, but none of the details except for the big tank & purple stick with me.

Anyone know what it is?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #57
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

I believe that Purple was the OEM race color for KTM before going orange..

as you the 620/609cc vs the 640/625cc, try these links:
Difference between LC4 620 and 640 motors?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214835
Up-to-date: KTM 640 LC4 Adventure changes between model years
http://www.bmwgs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184956

They helped me..

Old 01-28-2008, 11:40 PM   #58
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
I have a friend in Baton Rouge that has a (I think) 96 that is something sort of weird and rare. It is an LC4 of some sorts with a huge tank. What makes it so strange is that it has all purple bodywork. It is all OE plastic. I only had one chance to see it in person probably 8 years ago, it was really cool, but none of the details except for the big tank & purple stick with me.

Anyone know what it is?
That sounds like it might be the 620 SC with a large tank.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 AM   #59
clarky
05' 640 Adv

Oddometer: 460
Great work with this post, very interesting to see the history....they really haven't changed at all really

I am interested to know what the original screens are like to ride with, does the flicked out section at the top of the screen make a big difference with buffeting etc?

Where can they be purchased? As there is a 04 for sale over here with a very similar looking screen....great bike btw, I would really like to know who built it originally, has twin rear tanks (not shown in pic) & rally style bash plate with tool box & has been painted in a pretty cool livery.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #60
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
I'm not certain, I know they were white, mint green & red for a while. And then maybe in the mid 90's they changed to white with Purple (& maybe some yellow) but I think the bodwork was all white with the seat & graphics being purple. I think before they went with their current orange they had a sort of butterscotch looking orange in maybe 96 or so. I think the butterscotch orange still used purple graphics too.

I remember this bike having purple plastic, all of it. I have not seen an all purple KTM since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider
I believe that Purple was the OEM race color for KTM before going orange..

as you the 620/609cc vs the 640/625cc, try these links:
Difference between LC4 620 and 640 motors?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214835
Up-to-date: KTM 640 LC4 Adventure changes between model years
http://www.bmwgs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184956

They helped me..