Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #76
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,292
I fear that the problem you're going to run into is the stub exhausts is they don't have USFS legal spark arrestors. That's why we got a different exhaust in the US. If you're using it for your offroad exhaust, whacha' gonna' do when Ranger Rick pulls you over?
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #77
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
I dug up some info HERE but the link is now password protected... so here are some other links:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...arrester.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by USFS
Spark Arresters - What is the Law?

California Vehicle Code Section 38366 Spark Arrester Law - Laws and Safety

"CVC 38366. (a) Notwithstanding Section 4442 of the Public Resources Code, and except for vehicles with mufflers as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 27150) of Chapter 5 of Division 12, no person shall use, operate, or allow to be used or operated, any off-highway motor vehicle, as defined in Section 38006, on any forest-covered land, brush-covered land, or grass-covered land unless the vehicle is equipped with a spark arrester maintained in effective working order.

(b) A spark arrester affixed to the exhaust system of a vehicle subject to this section shall not be placed or mounted in such a manner as to allow flames or heat from the exhaust system to ignite any flammable material.

(c) A spark arrester is a device constructed of nonflammable materials specifically for the purpose of removing and retaining carbon and other flammable particles over 0.0232 of an inch in size from the exhaust flow of an internal combustion engine or which is qualified and rated by the United States Forest Service.

(d) Subdivision (a) shall not be applicable to vehicles being operated off the highway in an organized racing or competitive event upon a closed course, which is conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body and by permit issued by the fire protection authority having jurisdiction."

US Forest Service Forest San Bernardino National Forest Order No. 5 - Roads and Trails

Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50 (a) and (b) each of the following acts are prohibited on the identified areas under my jurisdiction:

4. Operating a vehicle in violation of the California Vehicle Code. 261.54d

Violation of these prohibition is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 or 6 months imprisonment or both. See 16 USC 551.
But that is just San Bernardino NF... what about the others?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/htnf/recreat...rrestors.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt-Toiyabe NF

To be legal your spark arrestor must have USDA Forest Service approved stamped into it. It also must be in working condition.
So which is it YFF!?!

Well, I think I found my answer over at ThumperTalk:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...63#post4014363

"There is no nation wide spark arrestor requirements for US Forest Service land."

So I guess each unit can issue their own orders, requiring either a spark arrestor OR a USFS approved (stamped) spark arrestor...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #78
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
I fear that the problem you're going to run into is the stub exhausts is they don't have USFS legal spark arrestors. That's why we got a different exhaust in the US. If you're using it for your offroad exhaust, whacha' gonna' do when Ranger Rick pulls you over?

It's a very good point.. However, Ranger Rick here is more concerned whether or not you have a DNR sticker (ORV Trail) or legal plates. The main area I ride most of the time, is centered around and ORV loop that has allot of connecting (great) trails and roads. There isn't anyplace you need to be checked out before entering it, but there are Rangers who move throught the aera. The Rangers target those on the ORV trail w/o the DNR sticker, and/or mostly go after those who leave the ORV without a tag.

If you happen to run into Ranger while on the surrounding roads, chances are high that he will block your path, walk around you, and will visually check turn signals and tag w/o running the vin # ( I don't even know if they have that capabilitiy).. I have heard they do give tickets if you have an aftermarket exhaust that doesn't have USFS approval stamped somewhere on it. It's my hope that I will squeak by since they look OEM.. I am sure I can find it my manually my bike is USFS approved and legal.. Yeah it's really for the supertrapp's, but the cover on the manual I have doesn't have supertrapps on it, so I will play dumb... I would think it would take a savvy bike person to figure it out.. I should be golden as long as it plays out and they don't have some device to stick in my exhaust to check for the arrestor...If I get totally boned and it becomes an issue - I will pay the $$ to pro-motion and get end caps for 'em

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!

hondahawkrider screwed with this post 02-21-2008 at 12:58 PM
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #79
chicagomike
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Found this thread through an eBay posting of all places. Anyway, I thought you guys might find it itneresting that my '98 title 620 has a SN# of 8543 and came from the factory with a Dellorto 40mm carb and the stainless cannister style exhaust and not the Supertrapp style. I know it's not been modified and I'm the original owner and bought the bike new @ TJs in Austin, TX in the summer of '99. Greg @ MCC in the Chicago 'burbs specualted that it might have been an extremely early model brought in before final EPA certification or something.

Here are pics taken a couple years ago when it looked a little less tired: http://guzzimike66.gss-inc2.net/mww-ktm.html. The non painted plastic has since faded somewhat and the decals are lifting to I need to order new bits to spruce up the old girl...

Mike Wright
Montgomery, IL
1975 Moto Guzzi 850-T
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
1998 Katm Adventure 620
chicagomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #80
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomike
Found this thread through an eBay posting of all places. Anyway, I thought you guys might find it itneresting that my '98 title 620 has a SN# of 8543 and came from the factory with a Dellorto 40mm carb and the stainless cannister style exhaust and not the Supertrapp style. I know it's not been modified and I'm the original owner and bought the bike new @ TJs in Austin, TX in the summer of '99. Greg @ MCC in the Chicago 'burbs specualted that it might have been an extremely early model brought in before final EPA certification or something.

Here are pics taken a couple years ago when it looked a little less tired: http://guzzimike66.gss-inc2.net/mww-ktm.html. The non painted plastic has since faded somewhat and the decals are lifting to I need to order new bits to spruce up the old girl...

Mike Wright
Montgomery, IL
1975 Moto Guzzi 850-T
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
1998 Katm Adventure 620
I actually just picked up a set of the stainless canister exhaust to replace the ST models that had gotten a bit worn... There are some floating around.. I have no clue why some have these and other have the supertrapp ones...

Old 02-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #81
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomike
Found this thread through an eBay posting of all places. Anyway, I thought you guys might find it itneresting that my '98 title 620 has a SN# of 8543 and came from the factory with a Dellorto 40mm carb and the stainless cannister style exhaust and not the Supertrapp style.
Welcome to the site, Mike. That was my post on the eBay auction.

Your bike does indeed look like a very early model. Your forks are silver (most had black forks) and the Dellorto is Euro-spec. The US got the Quicksilver. That explains the pipes too. You have the Euro exhaust shown on the cover of all of the manuals. A number of them made it to our shores in that configuration.

Did you change the windshield? The early models had clear windshields. The later ones have the smoke windscreen.

It's interesting because my bike also came from Chicago. I wonder if it was the same dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider
I have a 97 low pipe model and I want the rear tank setup - because I think it would be pretty cool to have
Lose that idea now (I'm doing you a favor ). I have a set of Rally tanks. They won't fit without substantial modifications to the subframe. I'm talking: cut and rebuild both seat stays and all of the airbox/battery box bracketry. I have a spare subframe that I'm going to pilfer for the job--if I ever get around to it.

Trust me: just forget it or buy one of the real Rallyes that pops up for sale around here.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #82
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Quote:
Welcome to the site, Mike. That was my post on the eBay auction.

Your bike does indeed look like a very early model. Your forks are silver (most had black forks) and the Dellorto is Euro-spec. The US got the Quicksilver. That explains the pipes too. You have the Euro exhaust shown on the cover of all of the manuals. A number of them made it to our shores in that configuration.

Did you change the windshield? The early models had clear windshields. The later ones have the smoke windscreen.

It's interesting because my bike also came from Chicago. I wonder if it was the same dealer.

Lose that idea now (I'm doing you a favor ). I have a set of Rally tanks. They won't fit without substantial modifications to the subframe. I'm talking: cut and rebuild both seat stays and all of the airbox/battery box bracketry. I have a spare subframe that I'm going to pilfer for the job--if I ever get around to it.

Trust me: just forget it or buy one of the real Rallyes that pops up for sale around here.
well fwiw - I believe another lister said the he could swear the NOT for US 2008 SM990r and another KTM were in his lcoal dealership... I guess it's possible that some just happend show up in the US... who know....

As for the rear tanks.... ever run into someone with hard head - that just wont stop till they are confronted with it... Hi, my name is Jason.

There seem to be a number of different rear tank options... OOC - what year are your tanks from.... It was my understanding that the rear tanks from a 99 Rallye - which are still available (if you check the fiche stuff - parts for the 99 are still available). It was my understanding that these could be fitted w/o too much trouble to a 97 that has the extra frame supports to handle the weight.. The problem is that we are NOT talking cheap... I guess it all depends what someone means when they say "NOT too much trouble". LOL... What I am after for the few time I would need the extra gas (not on the trail) is the what I believe are called "heck" tanks as shown earlier on pezz_gs's 97 rallye.... I will figure something out...

Old 02-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #83
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

I have the 1999-2000 Rallye tanks. They are the low tanks that look like bulging sidecover/saddlebags (linky to pics of one here). They're not the Heck tanks that straddle the rear fender.

I bought them from a guy in Europe who bought them for his Adventure. After finding out how hard they were going to be to fit, he decided to sell them. That's how I got them.

Those double seat stays that are on the early Adventure subframe are exactly what is in the way of the tanks. One of them has to be cut out, the other modified. After that, there were subframe tubes that went below the tanks to where the passenger footpeg mounts are. It ain't gonna' be easy. In fact, I'd bet that a high-pipe LC4 subframe would be an easier starting point. It doesn't much matter because I have the facilities to make a whole new subframe if necessary. I just don't want to.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:28 AM   #84
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Quote:
I have the 1999-2000 Rallye tanks. They are the low tanks that look like bulging sidecover/saddlebags (linky to pics of one here). They're not the Heck tanks that straddle the rear fender.

I bought them from a guy in Europe who bought them for his Adventure. After finding out how hard they were going to be to fit, he decided to sell them. That's how I got them.

Those double seat stays that are on the early Adventure subframe are exactly what is in the way of the tanks. One of them has to be cut out, the other modified. After that, there were subframe tubes that went below the tanks to where the passenger footpeg mounts are. It ain't gonna' be easy. In fact, I'd bet that a high-pipe LC4 subframe would be an easier starting point. It doesn't much matter because I have the facilities to make a whole new subframe if necessary. I just don't want to.
cool... if it helps .. I ran off a quick shot of the differences between subframes .

one of the reasons I didn't plunk down the $$ for new rear tanks - was I didn't know the tanks mounted up.. From your description - it looks like #13 on the rallye subframe probably helps to cradle/support the tanks... Nuts...

FWIW - from the fiche - the rear subframe is still available - sounds like the best way for me would be to get this rear subframe and then get tanks... Thanks allot for the help....

Old 02-26-2008, 04:17 AM   #85
chicagomike
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:

Smoked windscreen is stock as well. I got my Adv from TJs Cycle in Austin, TX... did a fly/ride to get back home via San Antonio, Houston, Galveston, Baton Rouge, Vicksburg, Tupelo, St. Lous and then back to Chicago. My local dealer is MCC in Villa Park and they're the ones who speculated when I got it that it was an early US model or a Euro model that snuck through. Aside from the Givi bags & Corbin seat it's always remained stock though I do have a Keihin FCR sitting on a shelf I've beern wanting to try (maybe for $ale??) ... I have them on my '96 Guzzi Sport 1100 and it transformed the bike's power delivery.

Mike
chicagomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:38 AM   #86
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider
cool... if it helps .. I ran off a quick shot of the differences between subframes .
Hmmm...that explains everything. It looks like there isn't much to that Rallye subframe. Before you consider ordering a Rallye subframe, you should also be aware that they moved the battery and a bunch of other components under there. I spent about an hour looking at one at the KTM rally in Colorado. It's all familiar KTM components but they're in totally different places.

If you have the ability (and tools) to cut & form medium gauge sheetmetal and to weld tubing, it wouldn't be too difficult. But it's not even close to a weekend project of unbolting & bolting a bunch of parts...unless you order all of those parts from KTM.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #87
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,842
1997 KTM 620 LC4 Adventure E/GS

Here's mine (not in my posession anymore ).

An original (twin stainless steel low boy pipe) 1997 620 LC4 Adventure, purchased (almost) "new" in August of 2003 (with only 450 km on the clock!?)... I saw it sitting forlorn in a Honda dealer - not far from my home - while driving by one day... and I just had to rescue it. (I had previously owned a 1999 spec 640 Rallye a couple of years earlier).

The 620 served me faithfully for three riding seasons as my allround offroad, touring rally/adventure mount...

As pictured below;

Modifications I had done to it included a Mikuni 40 carb, cyl. head ported, 640 Rallye two into one exhaust sytem, 640 Rallye airbox and filter, revalved WP Extreme front fork and WP rear shock, supermoto front guard, lexan headlight cover and roadbook holder... Dat's it!

A great bike (I regret I sold it)... It would have been nice to hang on to, but had to make way in my shed for the SE in Sept. 2006. The LC4 is now owned by a Danish enthusiast who uses the bike as his weekend gravel racer and the occassional forray down to Africa for an amatuer rally like the Tuareg or just touring.

Great thread... these bikes ARE classics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #88
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Hmmm...it looks like 8850 is for sale on eBay. Does anybody know who currently owns it? Gawd it's clean.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170229238689

Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #89
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
There is a '97 on craigslist in Portland for $2800.

should I be finding the money to buy it?
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #90
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
There is a '97 on craigslist in Portland for $2800.

should I be finding the money to buy it?
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/726009695.html

97 KTM 620 Adventure - $2800 (SW Portland)

Reply to: sale-726009695@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-06-19, 7:47PM PDT

97 KTM 620 Adventure on/off road dual sport, 6k miles, 7.9 gallon tank, used but well maintained, one owner, service records.

Serious bike for serious rider. $2,800 - Contact Bob 503-977-5060. No calls after 9:00pm please.
Cash only.