Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #91
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
There is a '97 on craigslist in Portland for $2800.
should I be finding the money to buy it?
Considering the one on eBay is already at $3500 and hasn't closed yet...uhhh...yeah, $2800 could be considered a good price. Did you read the first page of this thread?
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #92
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/726009695.html

97 KTM 620 Adventure - $2800 (SW Portland)

Reply to: sale-726009695@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-06-19, 7:47PM PDT

97 KTM 620 Adventure on/off road dual sport, 6k miles, 7.9 gallon tank, used but well maintained, one owner, service records.

Serious bike for serious rider. $2,800 - Contact Bob 503-977-5060. No calls after 9:00pm please.
Cash only.
Post has been deleted by the author...

it was a good deal.. I got one for 2000 that needed a bit of work... this thing looked clean and had the EU non Supertrapp pipes..

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #93
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider
Post has been deleted by the author...

it was a good deal.. I got one for 2000 that needed a bit of work... this thing looked clean and had the EU non Supertrapp pipes..
I assume it sold.

Wasn't me.

Smokin' deal, it seems.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #94
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,620
Here's one for sale on LA cragislist... If I was closer, or wasn't broke...

Not mine!

1997 KTM 620 Adventure - $1500 (Silverlake)

Reply to: sale-765885965@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-07-22, 4:04PM PDT

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/765885965.html

1997 KTM 620 Adventure, bike in photo is what it looks like new.. the one i have has a bad crank and needs to be rebuilt. the motor is currently out. was going to rebuild it, but no time and money. Decals are off the tank, custom corbin seat, custom 2-into-1 two brothers exhaust. It is sitting in storage so I don't have a photo of the bike yet. The tank alone is worth $1000. Street legal with custom plate. Need to sell. If you want to see it, it is located in Silverlake 90026, just off of Sunset Blvd.
$1500 takes it.

323-669-0014

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 765885965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #95
robgutierreziv
n00b

Oddometer: 6
1998 Adventure

I just saw this thread and got excited. We got a 1998 Adventure and get tons of compliments. Here are a couple of pictures. I will provide better ones when I get back home. The pictures are from a short gravel road trip I did with my friend who has a F650GS. The KTM's vin # is 18785.

robgutierreziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #96
alfred jorgensen
n00b

Oddometer: 4
97 KTM Adventure

I have one of the five Adventure's imported in 97, it came only with a manufactures "certificate of origin" and a "hope you can get it registered somehow" greating as I rolled it out the door from Malcolm Smiths Motorsport in Riverside, CA in very early 98.

About a month prior, I saw a full blown 97 Rallye bike in Malcolm's showroom and was immediatly attracted to it in spite of its apparent poor quality plastic and kick start only engine. Alas, it had already been sold to my friend in Flagstaff, AZ, bummer. By the way, he still uses it!

However, after some investigation, I learned that along with the Rallye bike, KTM had brought over a number of Adventure models for the US motorcycle press to test and which probably were eglible for registering as "green sticker" bikes in CA, "at least Jimmy Lewis had somehow got a plate for his" I was told by a KTM team member.

The bike had the twin down mufflers but it came with a Del'Orto carb, a larger diameter piston and cylinder in a box and a photo copied manual and parts book plus a photo copied parts manual for the suspension.

It also has sand-cast engine cases which are set up for a 660 cc cylinder and some other minor oddities, some of which I believe was carried over on the early 98 models available in the US.

Now, this was not a setup, when I was told the bike was available, Malcolm's store manager also told me that "it was not certain that the bike could be registered in CA" and they wanted to make sure I understood that I was buying it at my own risk because they did not want to end up with it on "the floor".

At the time, I had a history with Malcolm's shop bying various odd bikes like a 650 Cagiva Elefant and a so-called Ducati E900 so they were used to my excentricities.

A long story short, i ended uo with a "Green Sticker" bike registration which later was converted to a street legal designation and today the bike has a Nevada plate.

Incidently, Nevada is the perfect place for this machine with its big fuel tank since we often go 200 plus miles between fuel stops and the fairing is nice on that 80 mile home run on some remote highway at the end of the days ride.

However, I was originally planning on using it on dual-sport rides and the down pipes were a pain getting hung up on rocks and tree stumps on single track trails so I purchased an entire "rear end", sub-frame, plastic and all for an EXC dual sport model and bolted it up.

The only problem was the exhaust, Big Gun had a complete high mounted system which I purchased but it was way too loud and when I added a 4" Supertrap internal disc muffler it either strangled the bike with a few discs or was still way too loud.

So I ended up building a dual muffler set-up aking to what my Husky's has using two 4" internal disc Supertrap mufflers which has been on the bike ever since, it flows great and is nice and quite for when you explore trails which are not on the official maps.

12,000 miles later, the bike still runs great and I am still using it to explore remote areas of Nevada since it is my only bike that can go 250 plus miles between refills and it has never let me down!

Alfred Jorgensen
Las Vegas, Nevada

NB: The original separate wind screen was not very good, at 6.5 ' it buffeted my helmet badly at speed. After a friend of mine crashed the bike into an oak tree during the last "Six Days of Northern California" in 2001, I fitted a lower combined mask and wind screen from a later model and it works better keeping the turbulence on my chest.
alfred jorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #97
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Hey, are you the "Giant German guy".
Old 08-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #98
alfred jorgensen
n00b

Danish, but probably one and the same!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #99
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

I think we met on a Dual Dogs, dual sport ride up above Frasier Park back in 2002. You were stopped in the trees, I pulled up on my ATK and we talked for about 15 minutes.

You're the 12 foot tall guy that makes that Adventure look like a mini-bike, right? Nobody could remember your name. They all just referred to you as "the giant German guy".
Old 08-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #100
alfred jorgensen
n00b

It was probably 2001, I dont believe Damon did the ride out of Frasier Park after that and I recall using the Adventure in 2001.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #101
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Damn, that was you. I've been looking for you and that bike ever since. Talking to you up there and looking at your bike are the reasons I bought mine the following winter.

What ever happend to your low exhaust and subframe? I bought a set from a guy down in south LA county (eBay) a couple of years ago and wondered if they were yours. It's good to finally find you and your bike again.

BTW: we talked about the various other Dakar styled bikes that day, including the Elefants. I'm guilty there as well, now: 1994 E900 and 1987 650 Lucky Strikes. I also seem to remember you having a story about a Moto Guzzi.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:31 AM   #102
alfred jorgensen
n00b

Yeah, I do have a Moto Guzzi Quota E/S (Enduro/Strada) and a few Elefants, between here and Europe.

Since you have a couple of Elefant's we should talk off-line about an upcoming ride in Nevada.

Alfred Jorgensen
nveab@earthlink.com
Old 08-15-2008, 05:05 AM   #103
jfn68
Banned

Oddometer: 620
Robgutierrizev,what does the 620 adv sound like with the twin pipes?,looks like a real clean bike,good stuff!
jfn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:06 AM   #104
alfred jorgensen
n00b

I still have my original exhaust setup although the front and the crossover pipes are pretty smashed, they are just way to exposed in tight stuff.

The high mounted dual pipes may not look as cool but they are out of the way and sounds pretty good.

However, if I had to do it over, I would use oval section mufflers.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #105
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn68
Robgutierrizev,what does the 620 adv sound like with the twin pipes?
They really don't sound any different. The dual pipes are a two-into-one system. The exhaust flows mainly out of the right side muffler. The left side is hooked into the main pipe by a horseshoe. In fact, the crossover actually points to the rear of the bike, not the front like a normal Y-pipe.

It's mainly there as a resonator and to add volume to the system. It's really heavy compared to a single system. There is no advantage that I know of except that it looks like a Rallye (and that's enough for me ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred jorgensen
I still have my original exhaust setup although the front and the crossover pipes are pretty smashed,
OK, it wasn't your system then. Yes, my crossover broke going through Mengel Pass, after beating it into some rocks. I bought that other system to replace that crossover and replace a scraped up muffler. I'm not beating that bike offroad anymore. I have a '99 to use for that.

Does anybody know where to get replacement tank decals? A shop with old stock on the shelf? I tried to buy replacements but Cycle Hutt told me they couldn't get them.