Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2006, 07:37 AM   #76
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
Your right, Andy hasn't ridden competively since the 05 Dakar, our 05 Aus Safari was cancelled. Fingers crossed he can keep going well, a friend of mine spent a weekend riding with Andy in mid Nov and he didn't know about riding the Dakar then and was planning another private effort in 2007. Andy doesn't make his living from riding, he runs a bike shop in a country town and works full time so even when he knows he's competing he doesn't get as much training as the Repsol / Gauloise / Red Bull teams who seem to spend a month or 2 training in various deserts around the world. I'd love to see him be able to put the same time into training and prep as the other fast guys and see what he could do then !!

Hopefully he can perform this year and get picked up by a team early for 07, he told my friend it was almost impossible to get a team ride as normally Repsol and Gauloise only take french / Spanish riders and Red bull only Americans
I didn't realize all that. Thanks for sharing. It makes his achievement all the more impressive.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:42 AM   #77
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceout
Slomoto,

The Sentinel is an active alarm that is used to warn bikers (and car drivers) of approaching cars and trucks from behind. Cars and trucks can signal others, bikers just have a receiver. Some of the car drivers, particularly former bikers like Stephan P. and Jutta, use them well and religiously. Others just blast by in the silt without a care.

Gary Ennis broke a leg very near the end of the Rally last year because of a passing car that neglected to signal the Sentinal. The Sentinal was new last year, and many bikers suspected it as the cause for draining the new KTM batteries. This led to widespread disconnecting of the power to these devices by most KTM riders in the beginning of the Rally.

To address your Sentinal distraction question, in the first few stages, some riders would pull over whenever their Sentinel would go off, often almost 1 KM in front of a car signaling another rider far behind. I saw this as an opportunity: a quick look to see how far that car is behind and make a safe pass or two.

Last year, the 30 KPH speed limit zones were identified by an exclamation point in the middle of a small triangle on the GPS, blinking when approaching a village, and solid when in the village. You only know when you have a speed penalty (big Euros for large or multiple infractions) at the end of the day, after the last liason.
Thanks for the insight Dave. Glad to see you chiming in here. Any regrets not running this year?

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #78
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnaou
According to Irritrack, Charlie Rauseo seems to have some problem in today stage. He has not been moving for a while??? Anybody heard something about it?
It shows him at km 265, yet if you hover over the CP2, it has his time when he passed. I'm thinking that these Iritrack transmitters must be cutting in and out or just losing signal frequently.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:00 AM   #79
cazevedo
MotoXplorers.com

Oddometer: 120
All Pan American team already finish this stage:

Time PanAmerican team
21th 042 STREET (USA) KTM 04:52:41 00:39:40
68th 099 RAUSEO (USA) KTM 05:58:04 01:45:03
110th 098 KRYNOCK (USA) KTM 06:26:04 02:13:03

Time JLL team
37th 132 EMBRO (USA) KTM 05:31:32 01:18:31
53th 180 HEATH (USA) KTM 05:42:28 01:29:27
No news from Hog team

cazevedo screwed with this post 01-03-2006 at 08:06 AM
cazevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:01 AM   #80
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazevedo
No news from Kevin and Hog team
Nothing from Hog Wild yet, but Kevin is shown finishing 53rd

53 180 HEATH (USA) KTM 05:42:28 01:29:27

Old 01-03-2006, 08:23 AM   #81
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,748
There may be some truth in the larger thumpers doing better at this point and after seeing the photo's of the terrain I can see why.

Boy! Jonah sure is pushing that 525 to be in 21st pl !!
Old 01-03-2006, 08:42 AM   #82
WildTurkey
Beast Master

Oddometer: 1,361
Hog Wild Racing Team Done!

As rumored, the Hog Wild Racing Team of Scott Whitney, Duane McDowell and mechanic Ralph Whitney are out of the race in Stage 3 due to a chain/sprocket problem. The were stopped for a significant time in the 1st Liaison of Stage 3 making repairs. The repairs were successful but they arrived at the beginning of the Stage 3 Special too late to continue. Scott is on his way home (which will take several days), no word about Duane's travels, Ralph is continuing on to Dakar in the support truck with other team mechanics.

Thank you all for your encouragement and support. I will leave the next Hog Wild posting for Scott when he makes landfall at an internet connection.

Cheers,
Eric Whitney
Hog Wild Racing on the Home Front!
WildTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:44 AM   #83
Mike Werner
Cloggy amongst Frogs

Oddometer: 1,962
Bummer !

Motorcycles in the Movies
Daily Motorcycle News
Mike Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:45 AM   #84
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle
Nothing from Hog Wild yet, but Kevin is shown finishing 53rd

53 180 HEATH (USA) KTM 05:42:28 01:29:27
I've given up on the Irritrack; it didn't show Kevin at all this morning and just made me worry about him.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #85
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

It looks as though Eurosport is finally getting some of their videos up and running. Some good ones too.

www.eurosport.com

Old 01-03-2006, 09:42 AM   #86
Mike Werner
Cloggy amongst Frogs

Oddometer: 1,962
KTM: Dakar 2006: 4th stage: Er Rachidia > Ouarzazate

(photos posted on my news site. Please do not link in the photos here).

Two Spaniards and “The Bike” Leading.

This fourth stage between Er Rachidia and Ouarzazate was reported have the most terrain changes of any during the 2006 Rally. The context was as expected. Due to their position of the previous day, Caldecott and Grider left first this morning, at 6:00 A.M. However, experience and navigation proved to be most important as both the Australian and the American got lost after some kilometres, and the American also had a problem of gasoline.

In fact their navigation “job” was taken by Isidre Esteve; the Spaniard virtually led the group and passing for first at CP 1 and CP 2 (km kilometres 125 and 221). The problem is that navigation requires a lot of concentration and many tough decisions in a split second. For that reason, the average speed of the “navigator” dramatically slows down and the ”followers” can easily come upon the leader. Cyril Despres accomplished this on yesterday’s stage, but today has been the turn of Marc Coma, that has been perfect. Following the traces, the rider of the Team Repsol KTM rapidly recovered his starting gap up to the finish line. Finally the stage was not as difficult as Etienne Lavigne announced at the briefing yesterday night. The director of the Dakar also warned the competitors about the first dune crossings of the stage. Also the Merzouga erg were passed by the riders without difficulties.

Fastest at the two check points this morning, Isidre Esteve won the today’s special test, but Repsol KTM champion Marc Coma, that finished second just before his fellow Carlo De Gavardo, is now the new leader of the race, with an advantage of five minutes. “The tactic process of this stage was not so easy. This morning Caldecott and Grider got away very early and at a very high speed. If they did not get lost, maybe the result of the stage would be different. One of the first things that must be learned is that speed has to be secondary. The first priority is not to make mistakes and then you have to sustain a sharp rhythm. And finally you have to be supported by your complete and absolute concentration.

It is difficult to handle this delicate balance between the elements. This morning the stage was stony but relatively easy until the dune section, and I crossed the dunes more and more confident. Then there was a section where the navigation was more complicated. I calmed and I y studied the situation, then I chose the right track in a real labyrinth of tracks. The final section was more fast. Can I give you my opinion on my race? I feel good, ad I try to be always clever and calm. The goal of the leadership has today been accomplished, and the main meaning of this success is that the work of the entire Team is perfect”.

The winner of the stage was happy but a little preoccupied: “Tomorrow” said Isidre Esteve, “I will open the trace, and a lot of work is waiting for me”.

The other Gauloises KTM team member Cyril Despres preferred to trace a balance of this first part of the Dakar: “Yesterday I was happy because of the result, today because I enjoyed the passage of the first dunes. I can say that the race is only at his beginning and that I made a god job. All is working well”.

Tomorrow the stage will reach Tan Tan, It will be “simply” the first of a “over 800” trio. Exactly 819 kilometres, with the fifth special test of the Dakar 350 km long. No dunes in the profile of the special test, but two long technical sections. Further more the race will go down to the sea level. Heat can begin to affect the hard work of the competitors.

Rankings:
4th stage – Special: 386 km

Stage Results
1. Esteve Pujol (Gauloises KTM), 04:13:01h
2. Coma (Repsol KTM), + 00:28
3. De Gavardo (Repsol KTM), + 05:15
4. Despres (Gauloises KTM), +06:50
5. Casteu (Gauloises KTM) + 15:41
6. Caldecott (Repsol KTM), + 17:44
7. Fretigne (YAMAHA), + 18:39
8. Sala (Repsol KTM), + 20:32
9. Ullevalseter (KTM), + 21:33
10. De Azevedo (KTM), + 24:24
11. Faria (KTM), + 24:37
12. Blais (Red Bull USAKTM), + 26:20
13. Katrinak (KTM), + 26:25
14. AgraCarrera (YAMAHA), + 27:58
15. Amaral (KTM), + 27:59
16. Farres Geull (YAMAHA), +28:22
17. Duclos (KTM), + 28:43
18. Gau (Gauloises KTM), + 29:50
19. Verhoeven (YAMAHA), +31:42
20. Pellicer (KTM), + 38:35
25. Grider (Red Bull USAKTM), +01:12:09
59. Viladoms (Repsol KTM), + 01:35:17

Overall Results:
1. Coma (Repsol KTM), 10:17:57 h
2. Esteve Pujol (Gauloises KTM), 10:22:48 h, + 04:51
3. Despres (Gauloises KTM), 10:23:03 h, + 05:06
4. De Gavardo (Repsol KTM), 10:25:09 h, + 07:12
5. Casteu (Gauloises KTM), 10:37:32h, + 19:35
6. Caldecott (Repsol KTM), 10:37:38h, + 19:41, Penalty: 02:00
7. Fretigne (YAMAHA), 10:40:41h, + 22:44
8. Sala (Repsol KTM), 10:50:19h, + 32:22
9. AgraCarrera (YAMAHA), 10:51:32h, + 33:35
10. Blais (Red Bull USAKTM), 10:52:56h, + 34:59
11. Ullevalseter (KTM), 10:53:04 h, + 35:07
12. Duclos (KTM), 10:54:13 h, + 36:16
13. Amaral (KTM), 10:54:23 h, + 36:26
14. Katrinak (KTM), 10:55:49 h, + 37:52
15. Pellicer (KTM), 10:56:27 h, + 38:30
16. De Azevedo (KTM), 10:56:51 h, + 38:54
17. Gau (Gauloises KTM), 10:58:04 h, + 40:07
18. Farres Guell (YAMAHA), 10:58:27 h, + 40:30
19. Verhoefen (YAMAHA), 11:02:39 h, + 44:42, Penalty: 02:00
20. Street (KTM), 11:07:42 h, + 49:45
24. Grider (Red Bull USAKTM), 11:34:22h, + 01:16:25
33. Viladoms (Repsol KTM), 12:14:17h, + 01:56:20

Motorcycles in the Movies
Daily Motorcycle News
Mike Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:57 PM   #87
Rbott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Problems for Gordon

I know this is car related, and he is an asshat, but he is still from the US. Looks like the transmission let go on his Hummer acoording to his website.

Ryan
Rbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #88
grizzette
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Question Dakar Primer

I follow the Dakar with great interest but don't really understand the race. Can someone help me with this...
Are the competitors racing from start to finish or just during the special?
What happened to the Harley for stage 4 - is it out? Didn't see it in the withdrawal but can't find it in the results either.
What an adventure!!!!

ADVENTURE is worthwhile in itself - Amelia Earhart
grizzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #89
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzette
I follow the Dakar with great interest but don't really understand the race. Can someone help me with this...
What happened to the Harley for stage 4 - is it out? Didn't see it in the withdrawal but can't find it in the results either.
What an adventure!!!!
Looks as though Hog Wild is out although they are not listed in the withdrawls. Check the "Long road to Dakar..." thread and more specifically this post for more info.

While the whole stage counts towards the overall and stage timing, the "racing" of it is only during the special. The beginning and ending parts of the stage are usually transport from one liason area to that of the next day.

As far as I know, this is mostly by public roads and the competitors must follow all local speed limit and traffic regulations. New for this year, the bikes also have a speed limit during the special itself while many do not really see this as being a problem.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:04 PM   #90
WildTurkey
Beast Master

Oddometer: 1,361
Quote:
The Specials are the only parts that are timed. The competitors times in the Specials are accumulated throughout the competition for overall position. There is prestige in both winning a single stage (Special) and especially taking the overall win on accumulated time. While the Specials are the only timed portion, the competitors must complete the "Liaison" portions in order to continue in the race. I the case of the first Liaison of the day, the competitors must complete the Liaison and get the the beginning of the Special within 1 hour of their designated start time on the Special. If they don't make it in that time, they are disqualified and prevented from continuing. I guess this is to maintain the flow of the race and prevent lagging competitors from dragging the race backwards.

Quote:
What an adventure!!!!
The Hog Wild Racing Team of Scott Whitney/Duane McDowell on a Harley V-Rod powered sidecar were having chain/sprocket problems from the beginning of Stage 1. During the Liaison to the Stage 3 Special, the drive train required significant repairs along the road. They were stopped for a significant amount of time fixing the problem. According to Scott, the repairs were good enough for them to continue in the competition but they arrived at the beginning of the Stage 3 Special outside of the alotted time frame. A big disappointment considering that the bike and riders were prepared to continue. Rules is Rules I guess!

The official Dakar website and Iritrack system are frequently way behind real-time activities. Use the website for information purposes, but don't hang your hat on what you see.

Cheers,
Eric Whitney
Hog Wild Racing on the Home Front!
WildTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote