Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #151
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron
Once again gentlemen, if it's truly cold out, go out and spend 100 bucks on
a North49 Arctic Trail one piece suit. You will roast.

No I don't work for them, this isn't spam, it's just the warmest thing
I've ever worn in my life. Put some electrics in with it, and you're good to 30 below.

My two cents for the day.
I just checked into this suggestion, and I don't think that it would work for me. In the winter out here it's generally:
  • Cool and dry - above 50
  • Cold and dry - below 40
  • Insanely cold and dry - below 30 [insane is relative, of course]
  • Raining and cool or warm - certainly above the mid-40s.
The Artic Trail is insulated and wind proof, and in a lot of my riding scenarios I don't need that much insulation, and I like some wind to keep me cool. The climate down here requires that we layer, because the temps vary quite a bit.

Thanks though!

PH
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:31 PM   #152
RSL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,330
PizzaHog, I think you want to keep the heat source on the same side of the insulation as your body, so as to keep the heat IN. Put the insulation between the heat source and your body and you'd be keeping the heat out.

And, whereas I dunno much about neoprene scuba gear, the goose down compresses or expands as space for it allows. FWIW, I did not find it to be restrictive, and doubt if the geese do, either.
RSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #153
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Quote:
Screw that flasher stuff. Do you want the schematic for one of my vest controllers? Simple and effective. You have to order a special transistor though, they have a low "on" resistance, which means you don't have to use a heat sink.
Sure! I'd love a schematic - but I'm an electronic n00b...?
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
Old 12-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #154
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog
I just checked into this suggestion, and I don't think that it would work for me. In the winter out here it's generally:
  • Cool and dry - above 50
  • Cold and dry - below 40
  • Insanely cold and dry - below 30 [insane is relative, of course]
  • Raining and cool or warm - certainly above the mid-40s.
The Artic Trail is insulated and wind proof, and in a lot of my riding scenarios I don't need that much insulation, and I like some wind to keep me cool. The climate down here requires that we layer, because the temps vary quite a bit.

Thanks though!

PH
Yes, PH, it would definitely be way too warm for your temperatures...

Remeber, I am from Canukistan, and our idea of cold..is ..well..fucking cold!

However, earlier on in thread is a schematic for a heat controller, which may prove useful to you...
Old 12-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #155
Predator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I found this sight looking for electric clothes, a lot of good stuff about his topic. This is my first post. I wanted to get some feedback on my plans for a vest. I ordered a small 12v electric blanket from JC Whitney, 24 bucks it has everything needed to make one. My idea for a vest was more 'poncho' style. I hope to cut down the blanket and move the wire to where I want to put it. You can just cut a hole in the middle, pull it over your head. A couple pieces of velcro on each side and put your jacket over it. The key to all this will be how easy its gonna be to modify the wires in the blanket. But it is only 24 bucks and I thought, worth a try. You can check the blanket out on JC Whitney's website.
Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:38 PM   #156
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,960
post 39 to be perzact

here
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:40 PM   #157
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator
I found this sight looking for electric clothes, a lot of good stuff about his topic. This is my first post. I wanted to get some feedback on my plans for a vest. I ordered a small 12v electric blanket from JC Whitney, 24 bucks it has everything needed to make one. My idea for a vest was more 'poncho' style. I hope to cut down the blanket and move the wire to where I want to put it. You can just cut a hole in the middle, pull it over your head. A couple pieces of velcro on each side and put your jacket over it. The key to all this will be how easy its gonna be to modify the wires in the blanket. But it is only 24 bucks and I thought, worth a try. You can check the blanket out on JC Whitney's website.
Welcoome to ADVRider Predator!

It should work just fine, that's all did with the first one I made...
Old 12-05-2006, 01:40 PM   #158
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL
PizzaHog, I think you want to keep the heat source on the same side of the insulation as your body, so as to keep the heat IN. Put the insulation between the heat source and your body and you'd be keeping the heat out.

And, whereas I dunno much about neoprene scuba gear, the goose down compresses or expands as space for it allows. FWIW, I did not find it to be restrictive, and doubt if the geese do, either.
True, dat. But I don't think having the wire or aluminum tape directly against my skin/clothes is such a great idea. Thus the liner - it isn't much, but it's something bewteen me and the heating elements. For example, the commercial electric jacket I'm borrowing has something between me and the heating wires.

And my understanding of goose down, and most insulation, is that it works because it traps air in between it's fibers or whatever. Compressing the insulation fibers makes it less effective.

Going from the outside in, does your setup go: down jacket, wires, tape/fastener, skin/clothes?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #159
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak
post 39 to be perzact

here

Thanks XT, I shoulda thought of that!
Old 12-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #160
xtphreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator

welcome to the electrically ingenious ward of the Asylum

now you admitted you haven't lurked long here so a few hints

BRING US BEER

post up pics of female tits ... wife/GF/neighbor whatever, but tits ok?

go introduce yourself in Jo Mama

fill outcher profile

ANOTHER BEER HERE

never mind I see yer profile IS filled out ... you must be a fake n00b if you did that
Robert A. Heinlen
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
Old 12-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #161
xtphreak

Electrically Ingenious Ward of the Asylum
FORUM
NOW!!!!
Robert A. Heinlen
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
Old 12-05-2006, 01:46 PM   #162
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Quote:
Just thought I'd post a couple of things in here, in case they're useful to any one.

Here's the schematic for the heated vest controllers I built for me and some of my friends: (Paul Mondor will be using two when he crosses Canada
this winter)
I see lines...some straight, some squiggly...is this supposed to mean something?

Seriously, even if I understood this stuff (and I understand more than I did a month ago, before I wired up my relay & fuse box, and PIAAs), I wouldn't know how to manufacture the finished product. ZZR_Ron's end-result looks pretty sharp! But I doubt I could do that - so I guess it's a HeatTroller for me...
Old 12-05-2006, 01:53 PM   #163
xtphreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog
I see lines...some straight, some squiggly...is this supposed to mean something?

Seriously, even if I understood this stuff (and I understand more than I did a month ago, before I wired up my relay & fuse box, and PIAAs), I wouldn't know how to manufacture the finished product. ZZR_Ron's end-result looks pretty sharp! But I doubt I could do that - so I guess it's a HeatTroller for me...
oh I see, trolling for somebody to build it for you are we?

ok, order up 2 sets of parts and decide what kind of package you want it in and i'm yer huckleberry

I never can remember to order the parts anyway to build myself one

seriously, read thru the whole thread and you see most n00b questions have been answered
Robert A. Heinlen
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
Old 12-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #164
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Okay, I'll admit to being late to the party, but at least I've just finished reading every post in this thread (and I might, if really pressed, be able to recall .01% of what was written). Being the impatient sort I have a pretty decent wardrobe of Widder gear already, but that doesn't mean I'm not up to adding accessories, one of which will be an "electric blanket" to fold over stuff in the tailtrunk to keep liquids from freezing when I'm riding around in below zero temps, and probably a seat heater as well. All simple enough to accomplish - once I get off my duff and order the necessary parts & pieces.
One question that has come to mind while reading the posts - and I haven't seen answered unless I missed it in my haste - has anyone tried running two (or more) wires in parallel inside their garments? In theory (and in practice it should follow pretty closely) two circuits in parallel, both twice as long (therefore twice the resistance) will still flow the same amperage as a single circuit, but with lower temperature in each wire. However, the heat would be spread out over twice the area, reducing hot spots while producing the same total BTU's.
What say youse electronics geniuses??
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #165
Swashplate
50 MSL & 150 KTS

Oddometer: 1,177
Here is my Resistance measurements from my Eclipse vest w/collar (1991 vintage) and Gerbings Socks w/SAE plug (1995 vintage)

Vest= 4.0 ohms

Sock (1) 14.7 ohms each with one wire which is 7 ft 10 inches long, gauge unknown. I have never seen a wire like this though....see photo of stripped wire.

Thought it might help someone

Swashplate screwed with this post 01-21-2011 at 09:36 AM
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote