Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #166
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABCH950
Sock (1) 14.7 ohms each with one wire which is 7 ft 10 inches long, gauge unknown. I have never seen a wire like this though....see photo of stripped wire.
Thought it might help someone
That wire looks the same as the wire I salvaged from an electric blanket. The resistance seems close too.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #167
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak
oh I see, trolling for somebody to build it for you are we?

ok, order up 2 sets of parts and decide what kind of package you want it in and i'm yer huckleberry

I never can remember to order the parts anyway to build myself one

seriously, read thru the whole thread and you see most n00b questions have been answered
I want to make a PWM (see - I read the thread, again!). I'm now looking at Harderkev's post (#118), and I think that gives me a n00b-proof list of things to order for the PWM.

For that price, I can make one for my grip warmers, too! w00t!

Nice try, though, XTPhreak...

PH
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:00 PM   #168
Swashplate
50 MSL & 150 KTS

Oddometer: 1,198
Here is my Resistance measurements from my Eclipse vest w/collar (1991 vintage)

Vest= 4.0 ohms total with 2 elements @ 7 ohms/8 feet each and the wire looked the same as my socks (as seen 3 posts above)

Swashplate screwed with this post 01-21-2011 at 10:36 AM
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:01 AM   #169
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider
One question that has come to mind while reading the posts - and I haven't seen answered unless I missed it in my haste - has anyone tried running two (or more) wires in parallel inside their garments?
Yes, as described in post #118.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harderkev
I decided I would rewire the jacket with two 30' lengths of the 30ga. wire, each covering half the jacket, and wired in parallel.

Final outcome is the jacket has 1.7 ohms resistance, draws 8.5 amps and cranks out a whopping 122 watts at 14.4 volts!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog
I'm now looking at Harderkev's post (#118), and I think that gives me a n00b-proof list of things to order for the PWM.
Thanks PizzaHog, I was beginning to wonder if anyone actually read my posts!

Kev.
harderkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #170
bike_pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
I have my jacket completely wired now. As I posted earlier, I tailored the mesh liner to fit snug against my body while allowing the outer shell to keep a loose appearance. I threaded the 30ga. wire between the outer shell and mesh liner, only poking through the liner every few inches to keep the wire in place. The small amount of wire poking through the liner does not burn my bare arms while wearing only a short sleeve shirt.
Kev.
Hey Kev! Any pics of the wiring in the mesh you could post?

"I suppose that's the great romantic lure of the motorcycle; it's a key to adventure" - Steve McQueen
bike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #171
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

I hope you can see the detail in the pics well enough. There's really not much there to see since I kept the wire primarily routed between the liner and shell of the jacket. I plan to wire up a pair of pants eventually and connect them to the jacket.

Unfortunately I haven't had much opportunity to put the jacket through some really cold riding. My coldest ride was in temps between 10F and 20F but I was so hot from jump-starting my bike while wearing my gear that I didn't need any extra heat!

I can confirm that you need something to insulate the electrics from the ambient temperature. On a test ride I wore only the heated jacket with nothing on over it. It was maybe 50F to 55F outside and although I could feel the heat quite well while standing still, it dissipated quickly once the cool air started running across the outside of my heated jacket.

Kev.

(two more pics to follow)
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #172
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Heated jacket closeup.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #173
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Here's the pant connector. My main power connector lives in the left outer jacket pocket where it can be out of sight while not in use.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #174
bike_pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Kev!

I get it now! You just ran the wire between the outer and inner fabric and sewed it in place. I also see the "tailored fit" darts. Pics are great!

"I suppose that's the great romantic lure of the motorcycle; it's a key to adventure" - Steve McQueen
Old 12-06-2006, 11:02 AM   #175
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Although I did use a needle to thread the wire in and out of the liner, I wouldn't call it sewed in place. I used a spot of low temp craft glue where the wire turns around after each pass to keep the liner from bunching if the wire gets pulled.

Kev.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #176
bike_pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Although I did use a needle to thread the wire in and out of the liner, I wouldn't call it sewed in place. I used a spot of low temp craft glue where the wire turns around after each pass to keep the liner from bunching if the wire gets pulled.

Kev.
OH! Ok! That is the black wire, not thread. Got It! Thanks again.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #177
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABCH950
Here is my Resistance measurements from my Eclipse vest w/collar (1991 vintage) and Gerbings Socks w/SAE plug (1995 vintage)

Vest= 4.0 ohms

Sock (1) 14.7 ohms each with one wire which is 7 ft 10 inches long, gauge unknown. I have never seen a wire like this though....see photo of stripped wire.

Thought it might help someone

Hmmmm. that is a very helpful post/picture, and certainly gives me some ideas of how get lots of wire into a boot liner..

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #178
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Bump.

I'm gonna start ordering stuff Thurs, and make a trip to the local electronic store this weekend. What I can't get there, I'm getting off the 'net.

FoamOrder.com seems to be the only place I can get 1/2 sheet or by-the-foot neoprene.

Jacket and 12v electric blanket from Target/WallyWorld.

Last minute suggestions?

"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:46 PM   #179
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider
One question that has come to mind while reading the posts - and I haven't seen answered unless I missed it in my haste - has anyone tried running two (or more) wires in parallel inside their garments?
Quote:
Yes, as described in post #118.
Kev.
Ah, yes. So it is. That's what I get for being in a hurry.
Thanks for the info.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #180
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,880
All right, all of this activity on the part of you ambitious people made me get my butt in gear. Just 1st gear, mind you, but at least I'm moving.
Found another wire supplier - I'll know how good they are once the wire arrives - Weico Wire & Cable (weicowire.com). Their price is just a bit lower than Mouser, and for 1000' it's much less, so I ordered a 1000' roll of their 2332. It'll all get used eventually.
Gonna try the 32 awg to try controlling wattage a little better with heated boot soles, etc. Also to allow multiple conductors in parallel without having to make each one too long. (Thanks to harderkev for testing the multiple conductors idea already)
Since I have a shelf full of Warm 'n Safe contollers, at least I won't have to hunt down the pieces to make my own PWM, although some day, when I'm retired and have extra time, I'd like to try my hand at it.
Y'all are providing some good info and suggestions here - keep up the good work.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote