Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #301
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN PHENIX View Post
I had the bake apart and thought I'd post this idea here. I shudder to think of blowing a fuse to my electrics in near freezing rain with camping gear lashed to the pillion. Nope not me. I use these 15a pushbutton circuit breakers clamped to the frame for easy access.
Make sure water does not get inside and corrode the internals. They are unlikely to trip when to required after that.
BTW 15A is 180W at 12V -that is a lot of heat!
Also, test your wiring by simulating a short at the vest connector to make sure the breakers trip quickly enough. Some of the wiring supplied with heated gear is pretty light gauge.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #302
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
Make sure water does not get inside and corrode the internals. They are unlikely to trip when to required after that.
BTW 15A is 180W at 12V -that is a lot of heat!
Also, test your wiring by simulating a short at the vest connector to make sure the breakers trip quickly enough. Some of the wiring supplied with heated gear is pretty light gauge.
Good advice. I haven't tested them in a while.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #303
chuggins143
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN PHENIX View Post
I had the bake apart and thought I'd post this idea here. I shudder to think of blowing a fuse to my electrics in near freezing rain with camping gear lashed to the pillion. Nope not me. I use these 15a pushbutton circuit breakers clamped to the frame for easy access.

Is it just me or does it look like valve stem caps might fit on those?
Just a thought!
C
09 KLR 650, blue... Done the Doo!, Thermo-bobed!, LED driving lights, aux fuse box, HID high beam, gel battery, custom racks, tool tube, de-Californicated it, moved main fuses to side cover, relocated plate, PVC mod, Hurricane mod, bypassed the side stand switch...

RIP - 95 Honda VFR750 (the most vulgar shade of yellow I could find in the book!)
chuggins143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #304
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I'm planning on buying a battery-powered heated shirt that uses a 7v dc battery. I want to connect the shirt to my bike's 12v battery. That should give me the option of wearing it off the bike around camp with the 7v battery and when I'm plugged into 12v on the bike I should have more heat. Are there any drawbacks?
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #305
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,720
I'd check to see where they put the heateing wires and how many of them there are. Wind chill on the bike would need a lot more than of them than a walking shirt. I've looked at Milwauke heated jackets sold at Home Despot but I don't think it'd heat enough for bike riding.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #306
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I'd check to see where they put the heateing wires and how many of them there are. Wind chill on the bike would need a lot more than of them than a walking shirt. I've looked at Milwauke heated jackets sold at Home Despot but I don't think it'd heat enough for bike riding.
I've been getting by without heated gear until now so I'm hoping that this shirt (Longmen shirt by Mobile Warming, btw) and my new heated grips will keep me going a little better than before. I'm also pretty warm-blooded so I might not need as much heat as other people.

The other thing I'm really looking forward to is wearing it around camp or into my sleeping bag. It seems like it should work as a small heating pad in my bag if I get cold at night.

I just ordered the shirt and a power cord that I think will work. I'll report back with my findings.

Here's a review of the shirt I'm getting (in a motorcycle context, too) -- http://www.webbikeworld.com/heated-m...est-review.htm
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #307
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,720
If you've got the battery capacity to run it for a while, I think the off bike ideas are good. Will you have to step down the 12v?

Heater wires are sized according to the power input vs resistance so it may heat the wires too much on 12v??

Got a link?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #308
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostyman View Post
I'm planning on buying a battery-powered heated shirt that uses a 7v dc battery. I want to connect the shirt to my bike's 12v battery. That should give me the option of wearing it off the bike around camp with the 7v battery and when I'm plugged into 12v on the bike I should have more heat. Are there any drawbacks?

Power increases with the square of voltage. Plugging a resistance designed for 7V into a 12V system will result in almost a 3X increase in heat.

FYI, power = V^2/R. You should add either a step down resistor or a solid state controller to keep power the same.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #309
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,560
A cheap and quick way to get heat inside your jacket is to use a $15 heating pad and a little inverter. You can put it against your chest, on your back, or sit on it. Puts out 50 watts, has a 3 level thermostat, is water proof. I've used this one for 15 years on the bikes and while flying my ultralight.

hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote