Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #91
RSL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,360
Regarding the suitable type, gauge, and brand of wire to use for electric heated clothing, consider the following:

1. Gerbings and Warm-n-Safe have long since figured this out, so use their products as benchmarks.

2. Google for "electric heated jacket" or similar key words, and you'll find plenty.

3. IBMWR website has archives about how to make electrically heated clothing, with guidelines on design, materials, sources, prices, layout, etc..

4. The US Army Air Corps and others were using electrically heated high altitude flight suits in WWII, so there is nothing new in this idea. These suits frequently appear on eBay, so you could ask the seller about the wiring.

5. I have Gerbings' jacket liner, pants liner, and glove liners, along with one HeatTroller unit. The HeatTroller works well with just the jacket, but adding gloves and (especially) pants liner, and it's not so hot, except around the waist, where it's too hot. There are some areas that are not hot enough, so this tells me my Gerbings could use a tune-up.

6. It would work better to have several different HeatTrollers or other suitable pulse width modulators, to control different areas with different heat settings. The multiple HeatTroller does this and has a warranty, but a PWM from an electronics supply house would be cheaper if you don't need a warranty and your time fiddling & tweaking has no monetary value.

7. A good second-hand Gerbings or Warm-n-Safe set will probably be cost-competitive with whatever you can make yourself, without the hassle.

8. Fuggetabout using a vest (without sleeves or in some cases a collar) if you live in a four-season climate or plan long rides. The 'warm body core keeps hands and arms warm' theory is inoperative for more than short rides in cold weather.

9. Somebody posted that they bought a down jacket liner (with sleeves) at Target for ~$40, and that it packs pretty tightly. TELL ME WHICH TARGET STORE!!! This would make a nice addition to my Gerbings set and works off the bike, too. Great idea.
RSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #92
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbyNav
If the battery cable was the only thing on the circuit, then it'd have to dissipate all the power - if the cable has almost zero resistance then the watts would be something like Power (watts) = 12 / 0, which is almost unlimited and a very bad thing for your generator to try (user hint, it will try but will never make it - the power generated will roughly correlate to the dollar cost of fixing the damage)
ArbyNav

Thanks for the laugh and the explanation. Sometimes I wish I paid more attention in Physics class.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #93
falcn
Squidless Soul

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa
You said you were an engineer. Props for the DIY project, but if you factor in how much labor/time costs, it would have been easier to buy off the shelf.

Jacket liners cost from $150-200

-mim
If'n you don't look in the right places you will end up wasting that much money....

I found www.cruzanengineering.com and had Chrissy do my wife's jacket liner. Nothing but props for her company!
falcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #94
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
Some folks have built their electric stuff and found that it maybe wasn't quite warm enough, myself included, I modified mine just a bit (shortened the wire) but if you go too far that direction you start to scrifice coverage. So how does a guy increase the power without taking out so much wire that the coverage goes away?
Why not build a garment with a couple of circuits in parallel and switch them on and off as needed?
I've been thinking about doing this-running 2 or 3 circuits. Lots of wiring involved but wire is cheap, I think I paid $9 (with my ham radio discount) for a 100' spool of 30g teflon coated stranded wire and switches are chump change at rat shack.

I built one of ZZR Ron's controllers, works fine, the hardest part was finding that pot for the control. I came very close to building a resistor network and just switching from like low/medium/high, but a trip to Fry's while I was on a trip to Kali yielded the right part.

If nothing else, it's fun to play with and you can make it work just the way you want.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #95
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Can I have first dibs on the setup if you do sell the extra's

Quote:
Originally Posted by harderkev
I bought my complete PWM here:
http://www.aseanexport.com/Division/...logyKit/MX.php
I had to buy two, so I may have one available once I decide I don't want a second controller. Scroll down to the MX033.

Another place you can buy them individually, but they were backordered, is here:
http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/MX033

I also bought more 30ga teflon wire than I think I'll need, so I may be able to offer a kit including the wire and PWM for anyone who might be interested.

Kev.

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #96
lowflyer
Doubleplusgood

Oddometer: 2,478
I considered making my own, but decided it easier to buy a Warm-n-Safe liner and Heat-Troller. I am very happy with it. The quality is first-rate and the thing works extremely well.

Now that I have one that I know works, I plan to tinker with making my own. I usually wear the FieldSheer Highlander suit (Roadcrafter knock-off) for winter commuting. I think I might wire up the liner in it using some of the techniques I have read about here.

Great thread!
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #97
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
Can I have first dibs on the setup if you do sell the extra's
Consider yourself first in line.

Kev.
harderkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:33 AM   #98
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Oddometer: 356
I'm getting ready to start threading my pants and jacket and I've been giving a lot of thought to what others have said about making sure the wire is close to your body. The jacket and pants I'm using are a Starter Drystar windproof, breathable 100% polyester exercise suit I bought at Wally World. It has the mesh liner and is just as effective as my Motoport AirTex liner at keeping wind off me while riding. It also doesn't look so hideous that I would actually wear it to walk around in once I'm off the bike, and the smooth shell slides very nicely under my Motoport Air Mesh gear when dressing or undressing.

I bought the smallest size suit I could comfortably wear but it is still a little loose in several places, more than I would like. I turned the jacket inside out last night and started collecting the sleeve along the seam to approximate how much I might take it in. I then noticed the liner is only attached to the shell at the cuffs, waist and collar. I collected up just the liner and realized its mesh construction allows it to stretch! Viola! I don't have to take in both the inner and outer layers of the suit to get a snug fit!

Kev.
harderkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:16 AM   #99
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL

9. Somebody posted that they bought a down jacket liner (with sleeves) at Target for ~$40, and that it packs pretty tightly. TELL ME WHICH TARGET STORE!!! This would make a nice addition to my Gerbings set and works off the bike, too. Great idea.
That is me ... it is a regular down jacket that i bought 1 size too small, so it fits under my leather jacket.

The down jackets are famous for compressing better than anything else, and providing the best heat-bulk-weight ratio of them all.

The store i bought it from is in Exton, PA

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000GUNAZ6

I am 6f 2 in tall .. long torso and arms ... 44 inch chest ... 32 inch waist size MEDIUM for fit as a liner.

I am wearing it right now ... cozy and warm!!
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:03 AM   #100
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstrommancer
You're posting while you ride?!?!?

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #101
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky
You're posting while you ride?!?!?
mad skills

I wear it while working ... do not like to leave the heat on too high wile working , makes me sleepy
Old 11-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #102
RSL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstrommancer
That is me ... it is a regular down jacket that i bought 1 size too small, so it fits under my leather jacket.

The down jackets are famous for compressing better than anything else, and providing the best heat-bulk-weight ratio of them all.

The store i bought it from is in Exton, PA

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000GUNAZ6

I am 6f 2 in tall .. long torso and arms ... 44 inch chest ... 32 inch waist size MEDIUM for fit as a liner.

This is exactly the sort of information that we all need, esp. since the down jacket has no moving parts and works on or off the bike. The price is very right. I owe you at least one beer, and so does every other cold-weather rider.
RSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #103
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
What my buddy did was use the stuff a seamstress would use for pant cuffs that is ironed on instead of sewing. If you are using a removable jacket liner the stuff won't even be noticeable

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #104
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

bump ... forked over 120$ for arm chaps and gloves
Old 11-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #105
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,033
Let me know how the gloves work out.. I'm currently using "Grabber McCoal"
hand warmers when things get a touch nippy.