Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #121
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,092
just thought that some of you guys would like a scorce of cheap a** heating pads, matrix, or what ever you'd like to call them. the g.f. bought a seat pad that....now get this- has speakers and an amp. made for an mp3 player installed ina car seat cover. it also has a messager built in it and it's also heated! intended power is from the 12v car system. she won't let me rip it apart to find out the actual size of the heating elements..but from the look of the finished thing i bet it'd be just right for heated clothing and or heater seat. the price.....you can't beat this.....23$us at" bed, bath, and beyond"
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:32 PM   #122
Fred H.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I would like to make some heated boots, instead of using heated socks. Just wondering if anyone has attempted to sew up some heated insoles that can be slipped in the boots, and how they worked.

I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has attempted making their own heated gloves.
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:04 PM   #123
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo
just thought that some of you guys would like a scorce of cheap a** heating pads, matrix, or what ever you'd like to call them. the g.f. bought a seat pad that....now get this- has speakers and an amp. made for an mp3 player installed ina car seat cover. it also has a messager built in it and it's also heated! intended power is from the 12v car system. she won't let me rip it apart to find out the actual size of the heating elements..but from the look of the finished thing i bet it'd be just right for heated clothing and or heater seat. the price.....you can't beat this.....23$us at" bed, bath, and beyond"
WalMart has heated seat pads for 8 bucks CDN, that come with two heated
elements, 34 watts total. they work like a charm.

Wifey used white interface material from a sewing store, and ironed it all together, using black felt for the outside. Then she sewed it all into the vest.

Here it is with the pads sewn in.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2006, 06:10 PM   #124
mayday
Stromer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H.
I would like to make some heated boots, instead of using heated socks. Just wondering if anyone has attempted to sew up some heated insoles that can be slipped in the boots, and how they worked.

I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has attempted making their own heated gloves.
A while ago I bought a set of heated insoles off Ebay, originally designed for snowmobiles (think I paid ~$65); my extremeties get cold easily so I already had heated grips/jacket/chaps. They actually worked really well. Ran the wire down the inside of my pants/chaps. Getting the connectors just right (tight enough not to pull out too easily, yet able to quick disconnect if I catch it on the footpeg) took some time. I now only use them when I know I will be on the bike for a while - stop/go traffic it is too easy to forget and yank them out but definately worth it.
mayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:34 AM   #125
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday
A while ago I bought a set of heated insoles off Ebay, originally designed for snowmobiles (think I paid ~$65); my extremeties get cold easily so I already had heated grips/jacket/chaps. They actually worked really well. Ran the wire down the inside of my pants/chaps. Getting the connectors just right (tight enough not to pull out too easily, yet able to quick disconnect if I catch it on the footpeg) took some time. I now only use them when I know I will be on the bike for a while - stop/go traffic it is too easy to forget and yank them out but definately worth it.
you run the insoles & gloves off the same power source as the vest, then you have ONE cable to worry about

the former company I got my carbon fiber heat pads and heated glove lines from sold the insoles too, I keep thinking about them, but my feet rarely ge that cold with good socks in my Oxtar Matrix boots.
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:31 AM   #126
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,456
i wonder if I could run those car seat pads in my leathers for heated insulation
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:06 AM   #127
xtphreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstrommancer
i wonder if I could run those car seat pads in my leathers for heated insulation
yes

hell stick 'em in with velcro on the FRONT each side of the zipper on yer chest

or

sew em into a fleece vest ... damn why didn't I think of that?

Robert A. Heinlen
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
Old 11-28-2006, 11:39 AM   #128
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,456
I was thinking as for in my leather pants actually ... I have vest, arm chaps and gloves now.

Bling!!
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 PM   #129
yellow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
alright....wired up my own gloves, they are hot as hell when plugged right into a 12V source....figured that might be nice, I'll just get a powerlet controller thru the group buy. The gloves still work, just now thru the controller. The output of the controller when at 100% gives the same reading as 12V source.
Why would they not work with the controller?
'80 Suzuki GS550E / 70's Spirit Eagle Sidecar
BMWMOA - 124346
ABC - 9079
yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #130
xtphreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow
alright....wired up my own gloves, they are hot as hell when plugged right into a 12V source....figured that might be nice, I'll just get a powerlet controller thru the group buy. The gloves still work, just now thru the controller. The output of the controller when at 100% gives the same reading as 12V source.
Why would they not work with the controller?
100% duty cycle is the same as the source

is there any output at say 50%?

you'll need a DMM that'll read pulsing DC or frequency, do the glove liners NOT work off the controller?

how much resistance in each?

wired series or parallel?

what resistance in the vest?
Robert A. Heinlen
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
Old 11-28-2006, 10:24 PM   #131
yellow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak

you'll need a DMM that'll read pulsing DC or frequency, do the glove liners NOT work off the controller?

Yes 100% is the same as source

yes there is output at 50%

Glove liners do not work w/ controller

hmmm - have to double check on resistance in gloves (they do get damn hot and quick with just source)

wired in series

The only vest I have is a BMW heated vest that came with the bike, I'll have to check that too - I did notice that the vest takes alot longer, alot, to heat up. The vest did seem to work with the controller.

I'll double check resitances....
'80 Suzuki GS550E / 70's Spirit Eagle Sidecar
BMWMOA - 124346
ABC - 9079
yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:45 AM   #132
Fred H.
Adventurer

I have been doing some testing with my teflon coated wire. I found that a 12.7 volt source pushed about 3.4 amps through 24 ft of of the 30 gage wire. I measured 9.35 volts at the ends of the wire with the current running through it and connected to the battery, but this was without the bike running.

I will need to do some more tests with the engine running to see how the alternator affects the current supply.

One thing I am beginning to wonder, is if the teflon coating isn't actually acting as an insulator and keeping alot of heat in the wire itself instead of letting it transfer the heat out. Eventually I guess the teflon will get
saturated and reach close to the same temperature as the wire, but I can't help but wonder if it isn't actually inhibiting the heat transfer process. It seems like you would want an insulator material that helps the heat transfer out of the wire for this application.

This may require some more experimentation with different wire types to see what works best. Obviously you don't want it to get so hot that the wire melts the jacket, but if you use wire that transfers the heat better,
you should be able to run a smaller current through it and achieve the same level of heat. I think?

I need to do more testing. Will report my findings, if I don't spontaneously combust first...
Old 11-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #133
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Actually, I think Teflon transfers heat pretty well.

Hell, they use it on frying pans!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 AM   #134
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak

Actually, XT, if you just put the DMM on DC volts, it'll read as if you have a DC voltage which goes up and down linear (more or less) with the output.
I didn't think it would work, but it does. It alos doesn't seem to matter to much about frequency, it still works.
Usually, when I build a multi-controller, I use a lower frequency than the single ones use...
Old 11-30-2006, 06:58 PM   #135
Fred H.
Adventurer

Well, I think I gave up on the idea of heated socks. Too much sewing.

So just for fun, I slapped together some heated insoles with scotch tape temporarily holding on the wires just so I could test out the concept.

It works amazingly well, and produces heat up from the bottom of the boot into my foot. The soles I used have some gel in them, so that helps spread out the heat nicely. And the soles can easily be removed from the boots when not needed. I have the wires on the underside of the insole. I tried it on the top and it increased the amount of heat I felt since the wires were right under my sock. Not sure which is the best side to put them on. I may try putting a layer of aluminum foil under the insole to reflect the heat up so less of it gets wasted heating up the sole of the boot. This might actually work. I think I may try to make this in a more permanent fashion.

One insole draws about 5.6 amps, which is a bit much, but if I wire two in series, it should cut that in half, which may be just about right.