User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
CARY2000 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Prepping a Uly for a long ride.

I planning to ride my 2006 xb12x up to Newfoundland and Labrador. I've only owned this bike for a year and have only rode it about 4,000 miles. What do I need to do to prep it for an 8 week tour?
CARY2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
I had a guy from Oregon headed here last year on a Uly and made it as far as New Brunswick. Wheel bearings crapped out so that would be my first suggestion. Replace them and carry a spare set.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
randomride
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARY2000 View Post
I planning to ride my 2006 xb12x up to Newfoundland and Labrador. I've only owned this bike for a year and have only rode it about 4,000 miles. What do I need to do to prep it for an 8 week tour?
A credit card to pay for shipping it back home and purchasing a plane ticket.

2013 XTZ1200
1985 XT600 (work in progress)
randomride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:12 AM   #4
rcf2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Replace wheel bearings and change the belt. With that you will be fine!
rcf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 15,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARY2000 View Post
have only rode it about 4,000 miles.

Does the bike only have 4,000 miles?
Old 12-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Also post this question on 'BadWeb' - all things Uly will be revealed. But...essentially what they already said. Except I'd just check wheel bearings (repack) and belt for any obvious defects & carry spares in case. A used belt is a bit easier to change on the road - while a new one is more difficult, its still doable. Have a fine journey.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,580
Dr Greg on this Adv group can give you lots of good info

Dr Greg, pick up the white phone:)

Merry Christmas

gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I did 6000+ to and from Texas on my '06 Uly in '13. Rolled 50,000 miles across the Bonneville Salt Flats into SLC.

Things that broke/wore out:
- the belt
- brake pads

Bring a spare belt if you have room. It can be replaced with basic tools (hex bit, t-27 bit, your axle adapter doodad, muscles) on the side of the road if you have to. I replaced mine in the parking lot of a Super 8.

Make sure you have fresh brake pads. I looked at mine and thought I had another couple months on them and I'd get to it when I get home, but 6000 miles is more than a couple normal months worth of wear. That was dumb. I uncomfortably biased toward rear braking from Monument Valley to Seattle.

I checked my wheel bearings when I replaced the tires right before leaving. They were good. That's something worth checking.

On my last trip to Reno, I lost my ECM to a saggy saddle. Make sure you have the '07+ "post" on yours, or improvise one.

This was my list for Texas:

Greetings from "my brakes are acting funny for some reason":

unlucky1 screwed with this post 12-22-2014 at 01:50 PM
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,836
The main plug for the electrics loses its contact after many miles and your system will go down. Don't know the exact details but look for it before you need it.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #10
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,853
My fan went but it grinds before as warning. Mine went at 60000km roughly
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #11
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 200
Lower North Shore of Quebec

Google up Relis Nordic supply ship and book passage from Natashquan to Blanc Sablon. It will be the most enjoyable part of the trip. Do some research and get to Red Bay NL.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,995
I'd change the fluids, check the bearings, belt, brake pads and "77 connector" and ride it. I carry a basic tool kit and a shop manual on long (more than 2000 mile) rides and if I need to I can handle most repairs but my Uly has been very reliable. Zero issues, none. I wouldn't hesitate to top off the tank and head out for 8 weeks right now, today.

I know bike problems are a major pita but I'd steer clear of trying to address every issue that's ever shown up on an internet board. You'll make yourself crazy. But, if you carry a tablet and do happen to run into trouble you can surf badweatherbikers.com for troubleshooting advice.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #13
dakotav8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
It seems everyone is quick to point out the flaws of ulysses.. I have found that most people have never seen let alone ridden one. Yes they have things to keep an eye on, check and replace. If you belive every thing on the net it would make you wonder how any brand sold anything.. its all junk. I would much rather replace $60 worth of wheel bearings and a $150 belt every 15 to 20k than the final drive on a GS once... Check the bearings, go buy a spare belt and ride the hell out of it!
dakotav8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 15,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotav8 View Post
It seems everyone is quick to point out the flaws of ulysses.. I have found that most people have never seen let alone ridden one.

About 90% of the people in this thread have had a Uly or own one currently. Nobody is here picking on that turd of a motorcycle just to pick on it.

It would be helpful if the OP would come back to his/her thread.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #15
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotav8 View Post
It seems everyone is quick to point out the flaws of ulysses.. I have found that most people have never seen let alone ridden one. Yes they have things to keep an eye on, check and replace. If you belive every thing on the net it would make you wonder how any brand sold anything.. its all junk. I would much rather replace $60 worth of wheel bearings and a $150 belt every 15 to 20k than the final drive on a GS once... Check the bearings, go buy a spare belt and ride the hell out of it!
That is the standard disclaimer for those that don't want to agree with what is said. I rode with two Uly's for a few years and they both had problems with brakes, wheel bearings, and drive belt while one had electrical problems far from home that we were able to diagnose and fix on the spot. I wouldn't call them entirely unreliable but more so than any Japanese machine. Still I would consider one of the later water cooled ones for road travel if they still made them.