Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #1576
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
But it is not clear to me how well that subframe would cope with a passenger and weighty top-box, nor how the rear rack would attach.

Any informed opinions out there?

Loaded like this with a passenger we pounded the hell out of this press loaner bike in Death Valley. It wasn't my ideal plan, but it's how they gave the bike to me and I had to make it work.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #1577
bigtex
Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer: 616
The lovely plastic rear rack has a metal subframe, parts 5 & 6. Pretty beefy.

bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #1578
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Loaded like this with a passenger we pounded the hell out of this press loaner bike in Death Valley. It wasn't my ideal plan, but it's how they gave the bike to me and I had to make it work.

Fab shot, and thanks so much for the info. Just what I was looking for. I remember your report, enjoyed it a lot. Yes, a top box with stuff strapped on top and a passenger, on gravel roads: will it last? Starting to look like the answers are positive.

Bigtex, thanks for the diagram and description of the rack. The more I look into these bikes, the better thought out they are starting to look.

I am wondering whether there is an engineer in some dingy corner office at Aprilia, opening the whisky at 3 and saying to him(or her)self: "One day, people will get the thought I put into this thing ... hope I live to see it".
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #1579
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
I recently carried 3 people worth of camping gear for a rally. No problem at all. There doesn't seem to be a limit to how much shit the thing will haul.

It had all the bags loaded to capacity, the soft top bags loaded to cap. and a dry bag on the seat. I just cranked up the preload and all was good.

FWIW, we toured two up on one in Italy for two weeks loaded with camping gear and it was no issue.
Cool. The Panniers have panniers.
That drivetrain looks a lot more robust than the BMWs.

What kind of gas mileage did you get on your Italian trip?
Does it take premium or regular? Thanks.
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #1580
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Fab shot, and thanks so much for the info. Just what I was looking for. I remember your report, enjoyed it a lot. Yes, a top box with stuff strapped on top and a passenger, on gravel roads: will it last? Starting to look like the answers are positive.

Bigtex, thanks for the diagram and description of the rack. The more I look into these bikes, the better thought out they are starting to look.

I am wondering whether there is an engineer in some dingy corner office at Aprilia, opening the whisky at 3 and saying to him(or her)self: "One day, people will get the thought I put into this thing ... hope I live to see it".

I was definitely having the kid check often to make sure our stuff was still on the bike.

I haven't ridden one since that trip, but two things stick in my mind...the center of gravity is very low for such a heavy bike and that great rumble through the bars that I fell in love with...oh yeah, a third item...that clunk fron the forks when the front wheel comes off the ground, that's a lot of clunking on super rocky roads.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #1581
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Cool. The Panniers have panniers.
That drivetrain looks a lot more robust than the BMWs.

What kind of gas mileage did you get on your Italian trip?
Does it take premium or regular? Thanks.
We did 2400ish miles in 2 weeks, averaged about 42-45 mpg which included some extremely fast blasts on the Auto Strada at speeds north of 100.

I use premium on all my Guzzi's. Not sure if you have to, but they seem to like it.

The CARC rear drive is basically bulletproof.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #1582
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I was definitely having the kid check often to make sure our stuff was still on the bike.

I haven't ridden one since that trip, but two things stick in my mind...the center of gravity is very low for such a heavy bike and that great rumble through the bars that I fell in love with...oh yeah, a third item...that clunk fron the forks when the front wheel comes off the ground, that's a lot of clunking on super rocky roads.
Weird. I've pounded the snot out of mine (random wheelies, giant potholes etc), and never heard the forks bang. The CARC arm makes some noise when it's moving around, but it's supposed to.

Interesting.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #1583
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
Weird. I've pounded the snot out of mine (random wheelies, giant potholes etc), and never heard the forks bang. The CARC arm makes some noise when it's moving around, but it's supposed to.

Interesting.

I hope it was isolated to that bike and I let them know when I took it back. Over rocks for miles and miles it got really annoying to listen to.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #1584
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
I have never heard the clunking from the forks and mine has been off road many times.
As far as the rear rack goes.. I took the plastic cover off the metal spars and mounted the plate direct to the spars. As mentioned they look quite robust. Mostly square metal with the tips being flat bar. It would appear to be able to withstand quite a bit of weight without damage.
I tend to average 6.8 liters per 100Km with mine. You will have to do your own conversion. lol
Premium fuel is required.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #1585
The Civil One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
The lovely plastic rear rack has a metal subframe, parts 5 & 6. Pretty beefy.

The Metal Subframe is bolted to the rear subframe , so its strong .
The Standard rear rack just has to be a "fashion " item , i just cant figure its function , i couldnt envisage a roll on top
of it.
So , the best bits i kept , the beefy bars i kept , i just made up a plate and fastened it to the existing bars.
Attached Images

A Man is worthwhile if he can smile when all around him is going wrong.
The Civil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #1586
The Civil One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I used some 5mm Alloy plate with some punched holes . I put an ornate wee solid bar tubing ,just to take care of any sharp edges . And finished it all of nicely with a Plastic coat . They guys use it locally for lobster pots , i figured its gotta work ? ..
Attached Images

A Man is worthwhile if he can smile when all around him is going wrong.
The Civil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #1587
mentalfloss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Just rode a stelvio

I rode my r1100gs to Wichita yesterday to ride a norge and a stelvio.

I loved the norge but I LOVED the stelvio even more.

That could be because I am riding a beast dual sport now and the ergos were more familiar to me.

It could be that the used norge (2,700 miles a 2007 model) had the 2 valve motor while the 2009 stelvio had the 4 valve lump.

I really wanted to like the 2007 norge more because I found a used one at a great price.

The stelvio wins my heart with its soul!
The dealership in wichita is a very nice honda kawasaki motoguzzi dealership and Randy (the salesman) was very good to deal with.

My head scratcher is to get the 2009 and put a stucchi auxiliary tank??? on it or wait for the new NTX???.
The 2009 they had was black and I have had several black bikes in a row and want red or white or the orange. I would be color blind if the deal was right and that is the only thing that was wrong with yesterdays visit....they wanted $12,999 for the stelvio and they gave me a bid of about half of what I could get for my GS. That is OK though I would sell my GS here on this site.
The motor was throaty and responsive. It was a new bike with 12 miles so I did not really put it through its paces too much. I could still get an Idea on how special it was.

Brakes were great.
The drivers information center ( wrong name Im sure) was a bit confusing and hard to see while riding and I could not find a gear indicator. I guess the italians can count better than the germans because the GS has the gear indicator in an easy to read place.

I could see myself buying a 2009 for the right price, you could buy a lot of gas and farkles for the price difference.

I also was surprised how I felt about the new griso SE in light green with the dark ( turd colored) seat. I was smitten and if I did not live out in the country with miles of gravel to get home it would have come home with me at sticker price and the low trade offer.
That was a bike!

Anyway this is my report on yesterdays excursion.
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #1588
NonDairyCreamer
incomprehensible

Oddometer: 90
Mental Floss

http://www.europeanmotorsportsinc.co...-inventory.php

Compare the price of the 2009. Very good people to deal with and highly rated Guzzi tech. Also a 2011 with abs.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #1589
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
I was at the Guzzi Rally in SW Wisconsin a few weeks ago and the Woodstock Illinois Dealer (RoseFarmClassics.com) had four or five bikes available for demo rides. One was a red Stelvio. I don't know the year but it was the four valve head and I think it had ABS. You can give them a call for more details.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #1590
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonDairyCreamer View Post
http://www.europeanmotorsportsinc.co...-inventory.php

Compare the price of the 2009. Very good people to deal with and highly rated Guzzi tech. Also a 2011 with abs.
Or the brand-new zero-mile $9k Norge - in red.
Do a good enough deal and you could get both a Stelvio AND a Norge - that would be like being a teenager with two dicks I reckon!