Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #1651
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd67 View Post
I'm reasonably friendly with Antonio that I think owns the store. The last time I went the weather was so bad he gave me a guided tour of the workshop to sit out the storm. As it turns out I was merely postponing a disaster. It was an extremely impressive set up, the paint shop especially.

The tank was fitted to a tricolore Stelvio that had almost every goodie they make fitted to it. Don't quote me but I seem to remember that the aux tank refills the main tank automatically when the level falls to a pre set level (less than 2 litres obviously) so no button on the bars. It no longer looks so "industrial" either with much neater seams.

He said they'd be ready to ship around about now (sept).

All the shops in Mandello are a pleasure to visit even if my broad Northern accent causes translation difficulties.

Please bear in mind it was a prototype so it may be different when it finally arrives although I'm 100% certain that it's 16 litres in volume.
Awesome. Thanks. Can't wait for it to arrive.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #1652
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Hey, Just to step away from all this functional stuff regarding the Stelvio , a pic from last weekend below the Indian Peaks and the Continental Divide at Brainard Lake...

And if you want to sit in the saddle and ride to the spot above, a three minute vid...

Old 09-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #1653
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd67 View Post
Bear with me here, this will take some reading,

I first test rode a Stelvio in '08 while my 2 valve Griso was being serviced. Wasn't too keen until I got back on my own bike and it felt like I was riding through soup. The power jump at 5k was a shock I was not ready for. The engine felt totally different to any Guzzi v twin I'd ever ridden.

I also owned a V11 le Mans with full Mistral carbon cans and crossover and a '78 Le Mans 1 at that time and had just sold an EV California so I have a good idea of how a 2 valve guzzi motor should feel. I also had a 1200 twin plug head HD sportster that had been heavily breathed on so I had an alternative experience too.

Fast forward to June '10 and for personal reasons I needed to reduce my bike collection to just one so I test rode the Stelvio again. It was a non ABS A5 engined model.I was amazed at the difference from the bike I rode in '08. I ended up buying this bike and sold all the others. It is effortless to ride quickly, handles MUCH better than any of the other four Guzzi's I've owned, is faster than all of them, including both Le Mans and is far more comfortable than any of them. I have ridden to Milan and back from Northern England in appalling weather with no hiccups while two Triumph Tigers (charging) and a GS (complete electrical failure) all broke down.

It carries a ridiculous amount of luggage and I struggle to tell that the panniers are on the bike even when fully loaded. There is NO flat spot. It will pull from 50 to 140+ mph in top gear sat bolt upright with minimal vibration, there is no driveline snatch as long as you keep the throttle adjusted correctly and the speedo sensor has never failed even in biblical downpours in Wales, Scotland, Belgium and Switzerland, something my Griso's sensor did constantly. The power rush at 5k is still there lofting the front wheel in the first three gears but it isn't as abrupt, it cruises at 90mph at 5000 revs, returns 10 miles per litre at least and the sound from the stock exhaust is as good as any factory offering on any modern bike.

Is it perfect? No. The stock screen is rubbish. Get the Givi/Kappa one and throw the original on the fire.The glove box thing is a good idea badly executed as mine flapped around like a middle class kid at a football match until I put draught excluder all around it's edge. The cat gets stupidly hot and it does need at least another gallon of fuel in the tank. It's fussy on fuel, the dry clutch groans like an ex wife until it warms up in wet conditions and I cannot find a use for the diving board hanging off the back.

It is not a DR 400 or a KLR off road but it is competent up to a point if you have the balls/ability. As a fast comfy two up tourer it is brilliant and if you see a dirt road or a track you can bugger off down it with reasonable confidence. The wide bars make counter steering a doddle and quite frankly if you ever crash this bike you must be retarded. No, it's not for everyone but by God, does it make me smile, something my 1150 GS just never did. I am 6'2" with a 36" inside leg and weigh 240 lbs and don't find it cramped even on the seat's lowest setting. If you need more fuel then fit the Stucchi aux tank which now holds 16 liters and costs about 700 euros. I've been to the shop in Mandello and seen this tank on a bike, working. It looks much more professional than the old/current one. This, combined with the internal tank gives 34 litres of fuel, more than the new Stelvio. Should give a range of about 350 miles. So buy an old one and save some cash.

Apologies for going on a bit, but I've read so much supposition and half truths from people I thought my input might help prospective buyers. Hope I've helped.

As always..... YMMV. Make your own mind up.

Keep smiling...
Great report with lots of useful info. Thanks!
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #1654
StelvioGT
Ride!

Oddometer: 179
Thumb Orange 2010

Looks fantastic 03x2, love the orange!!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #1655
StelvioGT
Ride!

Eye Candy Anyone?

http://www.motosblog.fr/galleria/ess...011-en-cours/2
Old 09-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #1656
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
Great write-up

Thanks from me too to Lloyd67 for the write-up. Certainly makes the bike sound special.

I enjoy also sfarson's contributions, especially since it appears he is in a position to ride whatever pleases him on a day-by-day basis.

It is still speculation for me, but I find myself mainly swinging between the new big-tank Stelvio and the Multistrada 1200 when I consider replacing or, if I could swing it, adding to my S4Rs Duc.

The Guzzi certainly seems to have the Duc covered for range and ruggedness tho, and from various accounts, for relaxation as well.

I am greatly looking forward to getting some real-world ride reports on the new model. I understand the current version is good and cheap, but that big tank and new fuelling could well be worth waiting for - especially since I have to wait anyway.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #1657
mentalfloss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Pannier and top box question

I am picking up my stelvio soon and was thinking panniers. I love the look of the Trax-moto guzzi badged- black panniers..... and I have read on this forum and elsewhere that they are not water proof. I have also read that they ARE waterproof...?... What say you?

Another thing about the side panniers.
When I test rode a stelvio at a dealership I was told that the trax/ guzzi bags attached to the neat little cutouts that are already on the frame. The pictures I have seen on this fourm seem to suggest that a mounting frame is still needed...?...

And the top box.

I have found several top boxes and the one on the guzzi USA website (the manufactures website) seem to be a rebadged givi top box. I cant find a price for this one.
THEN...I found one on e bay that is red with guzzi badge from Tallahassee Fla. for 499.00. I do not think it goes with the trax look too well ...is there a trax top box in the same design as the side panniers? With the moto guzzi badge?
Where are they available and do you know how much?

How much should I pay for the side panniers and the mounting hardware if it does need it?
Thank you for your help!
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #1658
BarkSlayer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by North6633 View Post
I am looking at the Stelvio for my next bike. I am 6'4" witha 36" inseam. Any tall guys out there with a Stelvio?...
I'm 6' 4" with a 36" inseam and I test rode the Stelvio a few times before settling on a GS. The Stelvio is a bike that I really wanted to like, but it just wasn't spacious enough for me. My knees rested on the valve covers and I didn't think I could live with the cramped egos. Maybe a taller seat and bar risers would have helped along with some Fastway pegs in the low position, but I wasn't able to try that as it was. If I were 5' 9" ...there would be a few other great choices in bikes, but I love the BMW, and it fits me very well.

"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent
BarkSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #1659
StelvioGT
Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Thanks from me too to Lloyd67 for the write-up. Certainly makes the bike sound special.

I enjoy also sfarson's contributions, especially since it appears he is in a position to ride whatever pleases him on a day-by-day basis.

It is still speculation for me, but I find myself mainly swinging between the new big-tank Stelvio and the Multistrada 1200 when I consider replacing or, if I could swing it, adding to my S4Rs Duc.

The Guzzi certainly seems to have the Duc covered for range and ruggedness tho, and from various accounts, for relaxation as well.

I am greatly looking forward to getting some real-world ride reports on the new model. I understand the current version is good and cheap, but that big tank and new fuelling could well be worth waiting for - especially since I have to wait anyway.
The only gripe I have with the Multistrada is that it has a chain. As a matter of fact that is why I never bought a Ducati ST4 even though I thought the rest of the package was superb.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #1660
Lloyd67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
More rumbles from the bottom of the oven...

If anyone is up for part two, more observations, apologies if I'm rambling on,

I took my Stelvio in for its 2nd service a couple of weeks ago. When I dropped off the bike I was given the new 32 litre Stelvio NTX to have for the weekend while mine was in the shop. The shop owner wanted me to give him a report of what I thought of the new model.

Initial reaction was that every aspect of the bike's character had been modified to suit a broader range of rider.
The seat is much softer. The clutch is much lighter. The throttle action is also much lighter. The gearbox was a lot smoother, took no effort to use and didn't bang into first gear like mine does. The engine has less vibration all through the rev range and idles much more evenly. The motor also seemed to spin up with less fuss. There was less torque reaction. I assume that the flywheel/crank is possibly lighter than the old bike, at least that was how it felt to me. All good so far..I was already working out how to buy it.

Once I got onto the fast A roads home I started to fall out with it. The light controls, smooth motor and easy to live with nature irked me and I interpreted it as feeling a bit gutless in comparison to my own. I assured myself it was because it was brand new and not run in at 700 ish miles. I know that loud exhausts make people believe their car is more powerful when in reality the opposite is usually true and I believe when an engine feels smooth it somehow feels less involving or powerful than one that sounds like a katyusha rocket attack going on between your legs like my mk1 did at 130 mph. The new engine is mechanically a lot quieter than the old one especially the top end.

The screen is good. Much better than the original one. The side deflectors work even if they look like dividers at a pick n mix. The fuel guage has 6 or 7 segments, ( I can't remember which, sorry) not that the old three segment system is a problem once you get used to it. The best bit tho, is that the glove box release switch has now become the heated grip control. I only discovered this at the last minute so I don't know if you can adjust it while moving but you don't need to scroll through any menus any more. Well done Luigi. The traction control can be switched off but it's in the menu like the old heated grip control, abs is on a button on the bar.

Talking of brakes, the front brake on my bike has always been, well, shit, to put it mildly. To come clean, I got the discs replaced under warranty while it was being serviced as one was warped. The Ntx brakes were fantastic in comparison in the dry. In the wet however, my ham fisted braking style and the abs didn't gel and I took a lot longer to stop than my non abs did.

The service completed and new discs and pads have transformed my own bike. The brakes are all they should have been all along and a lot of engine noise and vibration have gone. Fuelling is better and it feels much happier, but it's still not like the new engine.

To sum up, the new bike feels like my Griso did compared to the V11 I had. It's like a development of the original that feels a lot more refined and well mannered. Guzzi are going in the right direction to get new blood riding their bikes and that is a very good thing. If you've tried a Stelvio before and were unsure, it might be an idea to try the new model before you dismiss it. It really is that different, but it's not necessarily better. I've been avoiding saying this, but it feels more BMW rider friendly.

For me,the Ntx is a bit like Claudia Schiffer. The old 8v is more like Jenny McCarthy. And I know which of those two I'd rather wake up married to after a drunken weekend in Vegas.

As always, YMMV. Just my thoughts...
Lloyd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #1661
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
Hey Lloyd67, thanks again.

None of that puts me off. Perhaps partly because I've no shortage of character from my Monster. Your comments on the less fussy revving were interesting. I very much doubt they have lightened the reciprocating mass - certainly no mention of that in the launch reports or PR. So I am suspecting that is all from the new fuelling. A second lambda probe, new throttle bodies and a new ECU surely add up to something, and what I am hoping they add up to is more accurate mixture and ignition so that meeting emissions regs costs less rideability.

They did change the seat - softer isn't necessarily better, but you'd need a long ride to find out. Glad to hear the winglets work.

Don't want it to feel more like a BMW tho.

StelvioGT, the shaft is attractive for me. But I've convinced myself I could live with the chain. I've learned to put up with the Monster final drive, where the fragile sidestand mounting and single-sided swingarm and absence of centrestand mean lubing on the road is a matter of squirt-push-squirt-push ... The Multi with its centrestand would feel luxurious by comparison.

But brilliant as it is, the Multi to my way of thinking remains a quick road bike. The Guzzi by comparison seems much more exploratory. The big range, absence of failure-prone gizmos, air cooling, wheel sizes, state of tune, all seem to support getting lost and found in the backblocks much more effectively than the Duc's design features do.

That said, the Duc also has a hell of a lot going for it, as you say, and I get a huge kick from riding the Monster now that I've sorted the rear suspension out. Nice speculative dilemma to have, anyway. Doubtless I will start a thread seeking comparisons, when and if the time comes ...
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:35 AM   #1662
Lloyd67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hello Moronic, thanks for your kind words,

I'm sure you're right about the fuelling. I guess what I meant is that the effect that all gives feels like the crank is lighter, almost as if everything is balanced more in the motor. As you say the two lambda sensors etc must have an effect.
I could feel the bottom of the seat on the NTX as I was riding, which was odd.

The shaft/ chain thing really is a none issue with the carc on the Guzzi, it's 100% unobtrusive.

I certainly wasn't trying to put anyone off, all I meant was that the new model isn't simply an old model in new clothes with a few problem areas attended to. Guzzi have listened to riders (and prospective owners) concerns and made a bike that will appeal to people that are more comfortable with a mainstream idea of an adventure bike. It still feels very Guzzi- like but it certainly has less quirks, like the deletion of the glove box, the bigger tank and the introduction of a power outlet in the cockpit, something the old bike lacked, things that some people must have scratched their head at and used to decide against buying the old one. Peer pressure is a powerful motive for some and Guzzi know this. By moving toward a more BMW-esque experience they are making it easier for waverers to be more comfortable with their choice. I just don't think there's a great deal wrong with the old model...

On a final note, I'm not a Guzzi die hard either. Although I've had a few I'll buy a new bike next spring and it'll be a Ducati Hypermotard, so I guess we are both looking for the same things.

Stay happy..
Lloyd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #1663
motogrizzo
Adventurererer

Oddometer: 15
Wicked Taking orders for 2012 U.S. Stelvios

I just got off the phone with my local dealer. He told me they will be taking orders in a couple of weeks and the first pre-ordered customer bikes will start arriving in January. Store inventory bikes will start to arrive after March. He is meeting with the MG rep. in the next two weeks to learn about the details of the U.S. bikes, like color, pricing, features, etc. Once they know pricing they'll start taking orders.

I'm excited. Looking at getting the 2012 NTX...wonder what colors will be available...hmmm
motogrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #1664
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
Here is my observances,,

The Trax boxes should be waterproof. If they leak it is generally around the plastic inserts on the upper corners of the box and can be sealed up with silicone easily enough. They don't really hook onto where you think they should. The rack bolts to those loops and to the rear foot pegs with a bar around the rear tire about even with the rear fender.
There is a matching Trax top case. No Guzzi label though. Have to get through SW Motec. (or distributor) Here the side cases and racks will run about $1200 plus an other 500 for top case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post
I am picking up my stelvio soon and was thinking panniers. I love the look of the Trax-moto guzzi badged- black panniers..... and I have read on this forum and elsewhere that they are not water proof. I have also read that they ARE waterproof...?... What say you?

Another thing about the side panniers.
When I test rode a stelvio at a dealership I was told that the trax/ guzzi bags attached to the neat little cutouts that are already on the frame. The pictures I have seen on this fourm seem to suggest that a mounting frame is still needed...?...

And the top box.

I have found several top boxes and the one on the guzzi USA website (the manufactures website) seem to be a rebadged givi top box. I cant find a price for this one.
THEN...I found one on e bay that is red with guzzi badge from Tallahassee Fla. for 499.00. I do not think it goes with the trax look too well ...is there a trax top box in the same design as the side panniers? With the moto guzzi badge?
Where are they available and do you know how much?

How much should I pay for the side panniers and the mounting hardware if it does need it?
Thank you for your help!

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #1665
mentalfloss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Thanks for the info on the trax bags. They look great. Does your top box hold 2 helmets?
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote