Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #1681
StelvioGT
Ride!

Oddometer: 179
I just listed this on another site. Worth a look if you are interested in having a stock rear wheel in reserve or want to buy it for a Griso.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php...sa=view;id=346
Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #1682
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Does anyone know where there's a 2011 Stelvio NTX in New England that I can throw a leg over? I'm very interested in that bike.
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #1683
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
Does anyone know where there's a 2011 Stelvio NTX in New England that I can throw a leg over? I'm very interested in that bike.
I don't think you'll find one...

The 2012s aren't far away...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #1684
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Some folks are saying that MGNA is a tad unreliable, that we may not see the bikes until mid-summer. Does anyone have an inside track on this?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #1685
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
Some folks are saying that MGNA is a tad unreliable, that we may not see the bikes until mid-summer. Does anyone have an inside track on this?
There is no "MGNA" anymore. It's "PGA", Piaggio Group, America.

Last "official" word was "1st Quarter 2012".

It's traditional for the USA to get new models during that time, though in the past few years some models have come over in the fall...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #1686
MadMike20
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio Frustration

This is a letter I sent to Piaggio Group. Just had to do it!

Dear Piaggiogroup,

The recent release of articles pertaining to the 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX all state that the motorcycle will be available in the United States Fall of 2011.

I have spoken to three Dealers in my regional area and all of them said they need to contact their "Rep". In each case, I was given a different story. The first dealer told me his "Rep" explained to him that the Stelvio NTX will not be available stateside. European model only, even though the Australians have them.

The second dealer told me that they would take a non-refundable deposit and I would possibly have one in January. When I asked about pricing, they said they didn't know.

The third said that they would need to take an existing Stelvio and purchase NTX parts to "create" the bike I am looking for.

My questions are: How do you expect to sell any of these if customers call their dealers and receive a bunch of ambiguous answers? Who is this "Rep" guy and why can he not answer simple questions regarding availability?

I currently own a 2007 Moto Guzzi Norge so you have no fear of losing me as a customer. I am concerned about potential conquest sales falling through the cracks because of a lack of organization between your dealers and this mysterious person known as "the Rep."

Mike
MadMike20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #1687
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike20 View Post
This is a letter I sent to Piaggio Group. Just had to do it!

Dear Piaggiogroup,

The recent release of articles pertaining to the 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX all state that the motorcycle will be available in the United States Fall of 2011.

I have spoken to three Dealers in my regional area and all of them said they need to contact their "Rep". In each case, I was given a different story. The first dealer told me his "Rep" explained to him that the Stelvio NTX will not be available stateside. European model only, even though the Australians have them.

The second dealer told me that they would take a non-refundable deposit and I would possibly have one in January. When I asked about pricing, they said they didn't know.

The third said that they would need to take an existing Stelvio and purchase NTX parts to "create" the bike I am looking for.

My questions are: How do you expect to sell any of these if customers call their dealers and receive a bunch of ambiguous answers? Who is this "Rep" guy and why can he not answer simple questions regarding availability?

I currently own a 2007 Moto Guzzi Norge so you have no fear of losing me as a customer. I am concerned about potential conquest sales falling through the cracks because of a lack of organization between your dealers and this mysterious person known as "the Rep."

Mike

Well done Mike. I have had virtually the same exact run around. It's a total joke. The NTX is gorgeous and has potential to sell quickly. But, this kind of customer experience does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #1688
StelvioGT
Ride!

Oddometer: 179
Ntx

A NTX is simply 'parts' so that is correct. Any Stelvio can become one. With the correct aftermarket parts you can have an even better NTX without the stock Guzzi NTX parts!!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:36 AM   #1689
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by StelvioGT View Post
A NTX is simply 'parts' so that is correct. Any Stelvio can become one. With the correct aftermarket parts you can have an even better NTX without the stock Guzzi NTX parts!!
You think?
It's a pretty big ask to change the frame, just to get a different-looking bike. Without changing out the frame, the 32-litre tank won't fit.

Well, said Mike - this "right hand not knowing what the left hand's doing" is so 1970s; how can a niche company expect to survive against much more oganised opposition with this attitude?
And just to make you green, I'm going to have a look at an NTX tomorrow - though here in Aus, they are only available in black.
Sorry Mr Guzzi importer, I will not ride a black bike.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:00 AM   #1690
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
This whole line of discussion is very discouraging. I would really like to own and ride a Guzzi sometime in my riding life. I've identified the Stelvio ABS as the model to replace my Wee-Strom but I don't want to struggle with the small tank nor the spoke rims.

That means I need to wait for the 2012 models (those currently being sold in Europe/UK/etc, I think) to hit the US market. However, my closest dealer (Rose Classics in Woodstock, IL) says he doesn't expect availability until about this time next year.

So, my plan is to update the suspension on the Wee and ride it for another year. It meets my needs very well. Or, a local riding acquaintance may be selling his two year old 1200GS. It sounds like he's changing hobbies -- the new one wears a skirt -- and his GS is like brand new. And, it looks like the only differences between the two bikes is the angle between the cylinders and, that the GS's are available.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:22 AM   #1691
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Your friend is a fool. Buy the GS. But it is not even close to the MG Stelvio. The BMW has a vague feel in the front end but it works well. If it is a telelever. If it is an airhead, other considerations. If it is the power brakes models, another can of worms. I can tell you that after working in a BMW shop I swore off any BMWs, very expensive to keep on the road. And any of the more refined later model GS bikes will not give the same thrill as the Guzzi lump. Simply put, more like a Honda. An ok motor but dull. Actually, maybe your friend is smart. Check out the skirt.

If you want to keep with the Guzzi, there is an Italian company that makes an auxiliary fuel tank. As for the rims there are shops that can lace a smaller hoop. In the late '60's every metric shop in amurica was lacing 16 inch rims on honda, yamaha and others to get the chopper look. It is not hard to do and not so expensive unless you want BMW prices, a la Woody's Wheels. But keeping the Wee might be best if you really like the new Stelvio.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #1692
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Just a couple things here.. I don't understand why the spoke rims are a struggle. They are at least as strong as cast and most people who consider going off pavement seem to prefer them. The small tank is only an issue if you plan long rides where gas stations are few (do you plan on leaving the country?) or real late at night when most are closed. Plus there is a reserve tank that can be added. (several options for this)
As far as going to a gs.... feel free to do so but be aware that the gs is very different bike. It is what I would call over refined. There is no rawness or emotion left in it. I know the numbers say it is comparable but in reality they could not be more different to ride.

Do yourself a favor and ride the current stelvio and then ride the gs. It will be apparent real quick how different they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
This whole line of discussion is very discouraging. I would really like to own and ride a Guzzi sometime in my riding life. I've identified the Stelvio ABS as the model to replace my Wee-Strom but I don't want to struggle with the small tank nor the spoke rims.

That means I need to wait for the 2012 models (those currently being sold in Europe/UK/etc, I think) to hit the US market. However, my closest dealer (Rose Classics in Woodstock, IL) says he doesn't expect availability until about this time next year.

So, my plan is to update the suspension on the Wee and ride it for another year. It meets my needs very well. Or, a local riding acquaintance may be selling his two year old 1200GS. It sounds like he's changing hobbies -- the new one wears a skirt -- and his GS is like brand new. And, it looks like the only differences between the two bikes is the angle between the cylinders and, that the GS's are available.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #1693
motoinfo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
great letter MadMike

MadMike20, your letter hit the nail on the head, hope the folks at Piaggio Group take notice. Change takes times, but sheesh, this is 2011 and Guzzi is competing in a global economy...and it's not like Italy has money to bail anyone out this time...even one of their own!
'03 ATK 605 Enduro '80 Can-Am MX6 400
'69 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
motoinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #1694
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoinfo View Post
MadMike20, your letter hit the nail on the head, hope the folks at Piaggio Group take notice. Change takes times, but sheesh, this is 2011 and Guzzi is competing in a global economy...and it's not like Italy has money to bail anyone out this time...even one of their own!
To be a successful competitor in the global market your need to provide excellant customer support. That's not what i've come to experienced from my Guzzi dealer, lies and promises that are not kept is the norm. Hell, they won't take an '08 Guzzi 1200 Sport they sold me in for a trade on a new Guzzi. It's not just my bike it's there "business model". The service guy doesn't evebn answer my e-mails regarding question about scheding service or warranty wotk. This is no way to build customer loyality.

I've travelled over 1500 miles from Florida to in Huston Tx. to find a reputable Guzzi dealer.

Regards, Paul
Old 10-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #1695
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Forseti and Motoinfo, can you guys post some pics so that I can see what I might end up with if I pull the trigger on a 2010 Stelvio leftover and then do the upgrades myself?