Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #2221
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLdeano View Post

My wife put the sales guy at the local dealer under direct orders to NOT allow me near the '12...under penalty of death
I'll bet David just smiled....

Regards, Paul
Old 04-22-2012, 02:52 AM   #2222
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Anyone around here ever take a Guzzi on a long trip? By long trip, I mean something you read about in the Ride Reports threads...thousands of miles into areas that may have never seen a Guzzi?

Got some ideas cooking in my head centered around the following facts: I'm picking up a Stelvio in June, I'm retiring from the army next March, I've got no responsibilities to anyone, I've got a fair chunk of change saved up, and I don't feel like I need to get into another job/career right away.

From everything I've read, Guzzis seem to be pretty reliable...more so than the R1200GS, something I considered when signing up to buy a Guzzi. Yet whenever I see the ride reports, the steeds of choice are usually BMWs, KLRs, or DRs.

Sooo....would you trust your Guzzi to take you anywhere in north America? How about central America or beyond?

'14 KLR650 New Edition
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:57 AM   #2223
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 730
I'm taking my Stelvio up to Alaska, through the Canadian Rockies, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, etc etc and back home to Boston, Mass. It already has 22000 trouble free miles on it in a little over a year, so I don't expect this trip to yield different results. I have no reservations about taking it on this kind of trip.

If it goes well this year I'm tossing around the idea of Peru next year.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #2224
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Just for shits and giggles I asked my local dealer what the out of pocket would be for a new Stelvio trading in my 09 with 40K on the clock.
He came back with 10K taxes in.
Ouch!
I already have the 4.25 rear rim, boxes, grips, gps powered up. The only things I would be getting is the "new" motor and the larger fuel tank.
That is a lot of coin for that. I think I'll keep my 09 a bit longer.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #2225
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
Anyone around here ever take a Guzzi on a long trip? By long trip, I mean something you read about in the Ride Reports threads...thousands of miles into areas that may have never seen a Guzzi?

Got some ideas cooking in my head centered around the following facts: I'm picking up a Stelvio in June, I'm retiring from the army next March, I've got no responsibilities to anyone, I've got a fair chunk of change saved up, and I don't feel like I need to get into another job/career right away.

From everything I've read, Guzzis seem to be pretty reliable...more so than the R1200GS, something I considered when signing up to buy a Guzzi. Yet whenever I see the ride reports, the steeds of choice are usually BMWs, KLRs, or DRs.

Sooo....would you trust your Guzzi to take you anywhere in north America? How about central America or beyond?
If I am correct, I believe I saw your white Guzzi yesterday. It is a beauty!!!! By my location, you can confirm.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #2226
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
Just for shits and giggles I asked my local dealer what the out of pocket would be for a new Stelvio trading in my 09 with 40K on the clock.
He came back with 10K taxes in.
Ouch!
I already have the 4.25 rear rim, boxes, grips, gps powered up. The only things I would be getting is the "new" motor and the larger fuel tank.
That is a lot of coin for that. I think I'll keep my 09 a bit longer.

Guzzi's do not hold their value and are tough sell or trade when it's time to move on....I speak from 1st hand experience,. The dealer I purched from would NOT take my Guzzi back in on a trade for a new one. That just plain sucks.....

Regards, Paul
Old 04-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #2227
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olie View Post
If I am correct, I believe I saw your white Guzzi yesterday. It is a beauty!!!! By my location, you can confirm.
That'd be the one. I've got some ideas for the white though...there's a little too much of it for me, and it looks too "pretty." I'm thinking some parts need to turn a low or no-gloss black, or I've even kicked around the idea of doing a complete color change and re-upholstering for a completely different look.

But before any of that can happen, I need to get back to the US! Not too much longer...

'14 KLR650 New Edition
My Wee-Strom Hack
Old 04-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #2228
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:

Talk about my scenario. I am determined to get a Stelvio as soon as I can after the divorce settlement. Which is supposed to be any day now. I'll be circling around, over and thru our great continent, as far north and as far south as I can go. No responsibilities, fair chunk o' change and picking up the trade again as a semi retired in the distant future. So, I too can only hope this is a kick ass tank with the heart of a mailman (sleet and snow and all that).
Old 04-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #2229
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,911
Quote:

Would you take a car on a trip like that? Yes? Then take the Guzzi. It's built like a car. Just put 5k miles on it first to get through any "teething pains" it may have, then ride it to the ends of the earth....and back. They're dead simple to work on for maintenance so you can do oil changes/valve adjusts (bring a set of valve cover gaskets along), etc., just about anywhere. Keep it full of the right fluids and it will last a very long time. If you want more testimony, head over to wildguzzi.com and ask your question over there. You'll hear story after story of high mileage bikes with nary a hiccup.

Save travels, and thanks for your service.

-SM
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #2230
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Guzzi's do not hold their value and are tough sell or trade when it's time to move on....I speak from 1st hand experience,. The dealer I purched from would NOT take my Guzzi back in on a trade for a new one. That just plain sucks.....

Regards, Paul
It was about what I expected. After looking around it would appear to be a little quicker depreciation than the GS or GSA but not by a much percentage wise around here at least.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #2231
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Guzzi's do not hold their value and are tough sell or trade when it's time to move on....I speak from 1st hand experience
Not many bikes do.

I've had the same experience trying to sell Hinckley Triumphs, Aprilia RSV Mille, Guzzi 1200 Sport, etc and so on.... You either wait for someone who just has to have that bike - or take it on the chin and trade it in.

It pays to find the bike as a new leftover heavily discounted so you don't take the massive hit, if you can.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #2232
pass12me
honda350

Oddometer: 13
The NTX Stelvio MG

All I can say about the NTX Stelvio is wow.

I've owned 2 Guzzie's before many years ago

and I just saw the NTX Stelvio some body posted pics of it in this thred ,

I think I'm going to have wet dreams tonight,
pass12me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #2233
pass12me
honda350

Oddometer: 13
Ofcourse I was talking about dreaming riding it through a water crossing some where in the outback in Austrailia
pass12me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #2234
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the feedback. With any luck at all, any teething pains will be minimal. And I'll have about 10-ish months to get some miles on it and make sure it's set up exactly how I want.

Toadride...I think you and I are talking about similar trips. I'm looking at primarily North America first, then decide if I want to go any further. I've only spent 20 months out of the last 10 years actually living in the US, so I think I'd like to explore around the US, Canada, and Mexico a bit...get used to being home again.

'14 KLR650 New Edition
My Wee-Strom Hack
Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #2235
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,045
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. With any luck at all, any teething pains will be minimal. And I'll have about 10-ish months to get some miles on it and make sure it's set up exactly how I want.

Toadride...I think you and I are talking about similar trips. I'm looking at primarily North America first, then decide if I want to go any further. I've only spent 20 months out of the last 10 years actually living in the US, so I think I'd like to explore around the US, Canada, and Mexico a bit...get used to being home again.
My two previous Guzzis were distinct generations apart. The first was a V11 Sport, and it was built to a very high quality standard, and worked very well.
Had a few Italian quirks, but the vapor locking finally pushed the right buttons and I sold the bike. It was a work of art, and a very good daily driver.

The next was a 1200 Sport, a Breva built with some sporty hardware. It was superbly built, fit and finish was top notch. It was a noticable step in quality improvement and more modern design.

After reading about the improvements to the Stelvio, I'm pretty sure it's like getting a next-gen bike.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote